Official 2007 NFL season thread

tBBP

And with that win, the New England Patriots become (I believe) the first team in NFL history to win their division title prior to December 1.

When did the '04 Eagles clinch?

From the Boston Globe

The Patriots tie for the earliest division clinch since the NFL established the 16-game schedule in 1978. Three other teams clinched their division during the weekend of their 11th game since 1978 -- the 1985 Chicago Bears, the 1997 San Francisco 49ers and the 2004 Philadelphia Eagles.

Not that it matters, but the Bears and Niners did it in a five team division, whereas the Eagles and Patriots did it in four team divisions.

Again, not that it matters.

philly.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both sides get paid. These aren't high school kids, these are professionals, which means it's a job. Since it's a matter of a job, it's not the Cheaters' job to stop themselves, it's the defense's job. If these defenses can't do their jobs, they end up on the business end of 56-10, 52-7, etc.

The Patriots may get paid, but they are about as professional as your typical ABA franchise.

You couldn't be any more a crybaby homer. How are the Patriots "unprofessional"?

You are a broken record. Blah blah blah, this is why I hate the Patriots, they beat my team in the Super Bowl, I think they cheated, blah blah blah.

Get over it. The Titans did.

I might be late on this, but amen to jp. Amen.

All we've heard from this paticular individual is how the Patriots cheated, that they aren't professional, blah blah blah. Rams80, I pose a question for you. When the Patriots "cheated", how do you know that they were taping the correct individual calling out the plays?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Both sides get paid. These aren't high school kids, these are professionals, which means it's a job. Since it's a matter of a job, it's not the Cheaters' job to stop themselves, it's the defense's job. If these defenses can't do their jobs, they end up on the business end of 56-10, 52-7, etc.

The Patriots may get paid, but they are about as professional as your typical ABA franchise.

You couldn't be any more a crybaby homer. How are the Patriots "unprofessional"?

You are a broken record. Blah blah blah, this is why I hate the Patriots, they beat my team in the Super Bowl, I think they cheated, blah blah blah.

All we've heard from this paticular individual is how the Patriots cheated, that they aren't professional, blah blah blah. Rams80, I pose a question for you. When the Patriots "cheated", how do you know that they were taping the correct individual calling out the plays?

If they weren't, the NFL wouldn't have made a big deal about it, would it now...(or would have let it leak so we could all have a good laugh at Belichick getting his team in trouble and throwing all they had done to that point into question for naught.) :rolleyes:

That's the part you seem to forget in all this. The NFL saw it as being a big enough concern to make an issue of it to all the teams, and Belichick still had this act performed in the SAME CITY AS THE LEAGUE HEADQUARTERS. Belichick is a smart guy. I doubt he would deliberately defy Roger Goodell, who has already established a track record of harsh punishment, unless he felt that the potential benefits outweighed the possible cost.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than making two posts, I will also (again) fully define my interpretation of professionalism.

Professionalism is more than getting paid to do a job. It also implies that you show respect for your fellow worker, and don't go out of your way to humiliate them in the workspace. In other words, you do your job and achieve your bottom line (win the game). It is best for all, though, if you achieve your bottom line without making every one of your fellow workers look bad. (In other words, since it ultimately doesn't matter if you win 35-10 or 55-10, wouldn't it be better for all involved to win 35-10?)

Based on that definition, the Patriots are indeed as unprofessional as an ABA team.

As a side note...I was talking with a friend who happens to be an Oklahoma fan. He said that Stoops once said that while he doesn't like to run up the score, neither does he like to give up points. In other words, while he calls off the dogs on offense, on defense he still tries to bring it every down (in theory). I'll point out that the Patriots still have a lock down defense. Why don't they simply use that to ensure the victory, rather than racking up meaningless points on offense? (Besides, it might help the Patriots a little in the long run to give their running game more practice, and Cassel more snaps.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll also point out that should the Patriots indeed win this year's Super Bowl, I will consider that title legit (since this is clearly the most talented squad in the league, and should win with or without Belichick's "library".) I feel differently about any offensive records the Patriots set, but that is from an application of the same convoluted logic that is used to put everything Barry Bonds did into question. (Bear in mind that I am convinced steroid use is epidemic in baseball.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NFL saw it as being a big enough concern to make an issue of it to all the teams, and Belichick still had this act performed in the SAME CITY AS THE LEAGUE HEADQUARTERS.

well not exactly the same city.... or even the same state.... same region, yes ^_^

Rather than making two posts, I will also (again) fully define my interpretation of professionalism.

Professionalism is more than getting paid to do a job. It also implies that you show respect for your fellow worker, and don't go out of your way to humiliate them in the workspace. In other words, you do your job and achieve your bottom line (win the game). It is best for all, though, if you achieve your bottom line without making every one of your fellow workers look bad. (In other words, since it ultimately doesn't matter if you win 35-10 or 55-10, wouldn't it be better for all involved to win 35-10?)

Based on that definition, the Patriots are indeed as unprofessional as an ABA team.

But, your fellow workers are your teammates... but the guys on the other side are your COMPETITORS. I will say, the SpyGate issue with Belichick is unprofessional because it did not respect the rules, much like a company breaking some labour, zoning or environmental law. However, blowing somebody out (within the rules) is not "unprofessional", it's more arrogance than anything.

I saw, I came, I left.

The NFL saw it as being a big enough concern to make an issue of it to all the teams, and Belichick still had this act performed in the SAME CITY AS THE LEAGUE HEADQUARTERS.

well not exactly the same city.... or even the same state.... same region, yes ^_^

But, your fellow workers are your teammates... but the guys on the other side are your COMPETITORS. I will say, the SpyGate issue with Belichick is unprofessional because it did not respect the rules, much like a company breaking some labour, zoning or environmental law. However, blowing somebody out (within the rules) is not "unprofessional", it's more arrogance than anything.

I consider your competitors to ultimately be your fellow workers too, since you are in the same industry. Just because they are your competitors doesn't make it right for you to go out of your way to humiliate them.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If they weren't, the NFL wouldn't have made a big deal about it, would it now...(or would have let it leak so we could all have a good laugh at Belichick getting his team in trouble and throwing all they had done to that point into question for naught.) :rolleyes:

That's the part you seem to forget in all this. The NFL saw it as being a big enough concern to make an issue of it to all the teams, and Belichick still had this act performed in the SAME CITY AS THE LEAGUE HEADQUARTERS. Belichick is a smart guy. I doubt he would deliberately defy Roger Goodell, who has already established a track record of harsh punishment, unless he felt that the potential benefits outweighed the possible cost.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note...I was talking with a friend who happens to be an Oklahoma fan. He said that Stoops once said that while he doesn't like to run up the score, neither does he like to give up points. In other words, while he calls off the dogs on offense, on defense he still tries to bring it every down (in theory). I'll point out that the Patriots still have a lock down defense. Why don't they simply use that to ensure the victory, rather than racking up meaningless points on offense? (Besides, it might help the Patriots a little in the long run to give their running game more practice, and Cassel more snaps.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll also point out that should the Patriots indeed win this year's Super Bowl, I will consider that title legit (since this is clearly the most talented squad in the league, and should win with or without Belichick's "library".) I feel differently about any offensive records the Patriots set, but that is from an application of the same convoluted logic that is used to put everything Barry Bonds did into question. (Bear in mind that I am convinced steroid use is epidemic in baseball.)

What's the goal of the offense? To score. So don't you think running up the score would be going for a field goal, which is basically guaranteed points or going for a 1st down? I think that kicking a field goal is running up the score, far more than going for a pass on 4th down. What are the Patriots supposed to do? Take a knee until 4th down and punt it? Tom Brady was on WEEI a few weeks ago and was asked the question of how he feels about everybody saying that the Patriots are running up the score. He said his goal on offense is to score, and when you have Brady (one of the most competitive players in the entire NFL) he's going to drive him team to the end zone pretty hard. You talk about bringing in Matt Cassel or improving their running game, but when do you draw the line and say "Alright, bring in the backup?" What if the Patriots grab 35 points in the first half. Are you going to sit Brady for the second half and have him relatively cold for next week's match up?

But you know, maybe Belichick actually was "deliberately defying" Roger Goodell! I mean, look what the Patriots are doing WITHOUT the "cameras". Maybe as to show the NFL, "See what we can do when we're not 'cheating'!" Maybe would also make a point to the NFL, after they've catered to Colts complaints for years....

what the hell is ccslc?

For those of you that do this sort of thing.....

The Patriots are a 23.5 point favorite against the Eagles. Whoa.

NFC team + Normal QB might not play + Patriots playing out of their mind = 23.5 point line.

And in all honesty (this has no homerism in it, seriously), you'd be insane to say the Pats won't cover...especially if Kolb is in there. May god have mercy on that young man's soul Sunday night.

(And I'll be at the game! ;) )

How's your shoe/foot taste right about now?

Steelers can beat the Pats.

Just like your guarantee that the Rockies would beat the Red Sox, right?

What's the goal of the offense? To score. So don't you think running up the score would be going for a field goal, which is basically guaranteed points or going for a 1st down? I think that kicking a field goal is running up the score, far more than going for a pass on 4th down. What are the Patriots supposed to do? Take a knee until 4th down and punt it? Tom Brady was on WEEI a few weeks ago and was asked the question of how he feels about everybody saying that the Patriots are running up the score. He said his goal on offense is to score, and when you have Brady (one of the most competitive players in the entire NFL) he's going to drive him team to the end zone pretty hard. You talk about bringing in Matt Cassel or improving their running game, but when do you draw the line and say "Alright, bring in the backup?" What if the Patriots grab 35 points in the first half. Are you going to sit Brady for the second half and have him relatively cold for next week's match up?

But you know, maybe Belichick actually was "deliberately defying" Roger Goodell! I mean, look what the Patriots are doing WITHOUT the "cameras". Maybe as to show the NFL, "See what we can do when we're not 'cheating'!" Maybe would also make a point to the NFL, after they've catered to Colts complaints for years....

When you have something like a 70% completion rate with your starting quarterback this year, and it has been apparent through the game thus far that the opposing team is really incapable of stopping you from making a pass when you absolutely have to, going for it on 4th down is running up the score. Unless Brady takes orders to snap the ball and spike it on 4th, going for it on 4th down is running up the score.

I'd say if Brady's in after the middle of the 3rd Quarter in a blowout, that's a little much. If he's going to be cold because of that, honestly he's not an elite quarterback. :rolleyes: That said....you're welcome to continue ignoring the running game and an underdeveloped backup quarterback. That will cost this team one of these days.

My position on Belichick's library is on the record here and will not be restated. I will simply say that other offensive juggernauts in the past would have been more than capable of outdoing the Patriots in a similar situation...if they felt like it.

(Although I'd back off on the whole "Colts complaining" tack if I were you. It's that enforcement of the rules that protects Moss, Welker et al. from opposing defense and helps enable the Patriots to put up these numbers. :blink: )

Today, we are all otaku.

Well, the fight for those Wild Card spots in the NFC will be very interesting. The Giants, unless they really mess up, will probably get one. For the other, though, Detroit is in the lead at 6-5. There ar then 6 5-6 teams, the Bears, Vikings, Eagles, Redskins, Saints, and Cardinals. The Lions' fate is in their own hands, but their remaining schedule is really hard. They have the Cowboys and Chiefs at home, and Packers, Chargers, and Vikings on the road. Their only hopes of winning enough of their remaining games to make the playoffs is for somebody on defense, other than Ernie Sims, to learn how to tackle. The interception on the last drive of the Giants game was huge, and just may end up to be the difference if the Lions don't make the playoffs. It is going to be really interesting these last 5 weeks.

MegatronSig2.jpg

When you have something like a 70% completion rate with your starting quarterback this year, and it has been apparent through the game thus far that the opposing team is really incapable of stopping you from making a pass when you absolutely have to, going for it on 4th down is running up the score. Unless Brady takes orders to snap the ball and spike it on 4th, going for it on 4th down is running up the score.

I'd say if Brady's in after the middle of the 3rd Quarter in a blowout, that's a little much. If he's going to be cold because of that, honestly he's not an elite quarterback. :rolleyes: That said....you're welcome to continue ignoring the running game and an underdeveloped backup quarterback. That will cost this team one of these days.

My position on Belichick's library is on the record here and will not be restated. I will simply say that other offensive juggernauts in the past would have been more than capable of outdoing the Patriots in a similar situation...if they felt like it.

(Although I'd back off on the whole "Colts complaining" tack if I were you. It's that enforcement of the rules that protects Moss, Welker et al. from opposing defense and helps enable the Patriots to put up these numbers. :blink: )

Thanks for brining up Moss and Welker. I might as well add Stallworth to that too. Brady is working with an entire new core of wide receivers this year. He still in unfamiliar with these players, their tendencies, etc., etc. If you were Belichick, wouldn't you want Brady to have time to get used to these players so he can be successful for the next few years with these guys? Don't bring up that "Well, he obviously knows them because of all the passes that have been completed." bull crap. His receivers are elite, but he still needs time to get used to them and know them better, as football players.

what the hell is ccslc?

Thanks for brining up Moss and Welker. I might as well add Stallworth to that too. Brady is working with an entire new core of wide receivers this year. He still in unfamiliar with these players, their tendencies, etc., etc. If you were Belichick, wouldn't you want Brady to have time to get used to these players so he can be successful for the next few years with these guys? Don't bring up that "Well, he obviously knows them because of all the passes that have been completed." bull crap. His receivers are elite, but he still needs time to get used to them and know them better, as football players.

What were they doing during the preseason? Playing Keno? :therock: As "developing depth" seems to be on the back burner for the Patriots this year, they would have had plenty of time in the preseason games to get the kinks worked out.

Look...if Brady, who by all accounts is a fast study and reportedly "the greatest quarterback ever" still isn't used to these guys after training camp, a full preseason, and 4-5 regular season games, then he is either seriously overrated or just not that good. If your team has been relatively injury-free this season, and you still don't know how your guys will respond to passes, something is seriously wrong with your team.

However, to further counter your point. The 99 GSOT Rams were actually in a worse boat than your Patriots crew this season. New running back, a receiving corps that was either new or had never experienced the teams top two quarterbacks, and a radically different offensive scheme. Additionally, they played the entire '99 season with the projected backup...which means he had less time to work with the skill players than the starter. Even with those problems, though, Dick Vermeil didn't seem to see the need to keep the offense at full throttle in the second half to make sure Warner knew his receivers.

Today, we are all otaku.

NFC team + Normal QB might not play + Patriots playing out of their mind = 23.5 point line.

And in all honesty (this has no homerism in it, seriously), you'd be insane to say the Pats won't cover...especially if Kolb is in there. May god have mercy on that young man's soul Sunday night.

I'm sorry, where is it that I made any sort of guarantee w/ the Patriots? I mean I don't even see the word "will" or phrase "are going to"

Maybe you should learn to read first.

I'm sorry, where is it that I made any sort of guarantee w/ the Patriots? I mean I don't even see the word "will" or phrase "are going to"

Maybe you should learn to read first.

Jesus, Nick...don't overreact or anything. :)

I apologize if you were just messing around...

I was just saying that the Steelers could beat the Pats, not that they necessarily would.

Heck, the Dolphins COULD beat the Pats, if only because they're both NFL teams.

I apologize if you were just messing around...

I was just saying that the Steelers could beat the Pats, not that they necessarily would.

Heck, the Dolphins COULD beat the Pats, if only because they're both NFL teams.

Except that one actually resembles a GOOD NFL team while the other--mmm....well, you know...

*COUGH COUGH* 11-0! *COUGH COUGH-HACK-AHEM* 0-10!!!

(You get the jist...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I consider your competitors to ultimately be your fellow workers too, since you are in the same industry. Just because they are your competitors doesn't make it right for you to go out of your way to humiliate them.

It's not the Patriots job to stop themselves. That's the opponent's responsibility. If you don't want to get humiliated, play better defense.

If the Patriots want to keep their starters playing in a lopsided game and risk injury, that's their business. They shouldn't be told to "stop running up the scores" by the league office or anyone not affiliated with the team.

It's not the Patriots job to stop themselves. That's the opponent's responsibility. If you don't want to get humiliated, play better defense.

If the Patriots want to keep their starters playing in a lopsided game and risk injury, that's their business. They shouldn't be told to "stop running up the scores" by the league office or anyone not affiliated with the team.

How do we know that they aren't doing their best to stop the Patriots? If your opponent's honest best fails to stop them, perhaps some restraint is in order from the Patriots on offense, since their opponent is trying its hardest to avoid humiliation.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived