The Cleveland Brownies

MattMilone

Previous NFL Designs:

New York Football Giants

Concept:

So if you all recall, one year after the QB formerly known as Michael Vick started playing, the Falcons updated the look. So it's time to link Brady Quinn with some new jerseys (that he'll never wear as a long as Derrick Anderson plays the Bengals every week). I re-designed the "Bulldog" logo that floated around as a secondary for the Brownies, making it a little sleeker and less, how do say, confusing (all those "wobbly" lines hurt my head).

NewLogocopy.jpg

Also, put that logo on their helmet. Honestly, I had a tough time choosing a primary mark for them, knowing I'd put it on the helmet. I really love the football "B" logo, but it seemed a bit tradition for the jerseys I was putting together. My ultimate goal was to separate the Browns from their old selves (the now Baltimore Ravens) and give the modern era Browns their own identity: young, fast, and not :censored:ty (again, a very new Browns identity). For the jerseys, I wanted to add piping running from the seam at the sides up to, and around, the shoulders. I choose white because I really wanted to incorporate both the secondary and third color equally, to keep some class with a piping design.

As far as the pants, (which I'm still tweaking, but wanted to see what people thought of these pants) I used a solid stripe to continue the inner piping (the brown) from the jersey seam. At the bottom, a "slash" of orange, but it stays within the brown bar. I know, you're tired of reading already, so here we go, version one of the new Cleveland Browns:

Cleveland_Brownscopy.jpg

C&C as always, thanks guys!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE Number 1!

So it seems that the biggest concern is the primary being the dog, and the helmet having the dog on it. So here's what I've done: the reason I chose the dog over the "B" football was the ball had very traditional striping, so I decided to completely redo the ball. I "inverted" the color, and changed the stripes (that matched the old jerseys) for the new piping and slash (that match the new jerseys). Also, no helmet logo. I tried the ball on the helmet, but it still felt better being logo-less. Ok, so here is the new logo compared to the old:

NewLogo_bcopy.jpg

Ok, now on to the rest of concept, while with little change, lemme explain. I ditched the gray facemask, some like it, some don't, but to me it seemed like dead weight (since I was striving for a modern look, why a gray face mask, let alone why one with no gray in the uniform or logos). However, a few asked for a white on white set. So it's there. Some asked for a white on orange set, I tried it, and you don't wanna see what happened. Again, C&C please, you guys have helped a ton so far.

Cleveland_Brownscopy2-1.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a life long Browns fan, I vote know. But I am old school. I don't like change, hell, I don't even like the solid brown socks. BUT... I DO LIKE THESE UNIFORMS. Probably the best Browns concept (and there have been many and they all were horrible) that I have sceen on here. LOVE the template buy the way, is it available?

No thanks. They are the Browns, not the Dogs.

Brown is a color, not an identity. Frankly, I think having a bulldog on the helmet closely identifies the team with the Canton Bulldogs, which is good considering some of the players that were on that team (Jim Thorpe, anyone?) Better than the Nabisco Elf, at any rate.

cttdolphins2.png

The dog looks like he has a comb-over.

I don't like this.

You just can't fiddle with the Browns. It just doesn't work.

A lot of Dolfans said the same thing about Miami's jerseys and logo. Well, after watching the team play in them for about a decade, I can say that I can't stand the old jerseys and logo. Sometimes you have to take the plunge and hope you get it right, with any luck the designer has taste and class to go along with a feel for the modern.

cttdolphins2.png

As a life long Browns fan, well since 1957 anyway....I'm usually against this type of stuff, messing with the unis.

But I have to say you did a remarkable job on these doosh....

I'd like to see a white on white though, just for tradition.

BTW..the dawg..is for the fans...not the helmet. Keep it plain. It will add to your design and make it stronger.

Really nice!

Just for the sake of this argument, I'm going to separate my brain from everything I know about the Browns' identity in order to give this concept a proper critique.

Sustainments/Likes:

-Overall fresh, modern, but not TOO modern. Great way to infuse some current-day flavor into an uber-traditional set.

-Sleek, clean. And that template is quite nice, I might add.

-If someone was doing to modernize the dawg, what you have here would be a nice way to do it.

Improvements/Dislikes:

-With that orange dome, there is too little orange in the primary home/away sets. (But, of course, that 3rd/alt makes up for that quite nicely.)

-The dawg, IMO, just isn't fit to be a helmet logo. I believe the Browns could benefit from SOME TYPE of identifying mark, but that dawg is a fan logo.

-The numbers on the home jersey are sans outlines; yet the other two sets do have outlines. I guess that'd be okay for the third/alt (as it is, after all, an ALT set), but--you know what...if the NY Giants made that arrangement work with their home/away jerseys for the time they did, so can the Browns.

Suggestions:

-Continue to pump out the good work, lad.

(And this has been your proper introduction, CCSLC concept-style, to what we in the Army like to call an AAR...After Action Review.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This is some really good work, but it just doesn't fit with the Browns. For the helmet logo, if anything is used it should be the brownie (little elf). The concept is a nice design, but it just doesn't work for the Browns. On the road, I think orange pants would work better than the brown. And you did a great job on touching up the dog logo. You've got some good designing talent, I look forward to seeing some more work from you.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I love everything about the concept except the helmet......This is what I would try.....Let's start with the colors.....as you know last year the Browns went to a darker shade of orange and a darker shade of brown to go along with a gray facemask......I would do these updates......darken the orange and brown to what they have now and change the facemask back to gray......take the dog off of the side of the helmet and leave the helmet plain....If anything goes on the side of the helmet it should be a modernized interlocking "CB" logo......add a orange outline on the numbers of the brown jersey......and lastly add a set of orange pants and you would have a hit

It is a little too modern for the Brownies, but I guess it could work. Under these conditions:

Drop the brown pants and deffinitely drop the logo from the helmet.

I think maybe you should do a brown side stripe up all the jerseys then you can use the first set of pans for all three sets.

Maybe orage pants w/ a brown side stripe?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The White on White Looks Excellent! All your combinations look very good.

I even like the orange jersey with brown pants...

One thing on the secondary logo, well two...

I'd like to see the inside margin in orange instead of white and maybe try a C instead of a B.

Just to see what it looks like.

You are really on to something here...IMHO.

Archived