Oakland Raiders 1963 Away Unfirom Question

Old School Fool

hmm,

note the shield on the helmet is silver and not white, too.

absolutely bears further research!!

EXCELLENT find, darkhaha!!!

The way the sun is reflecting off the helmet, I think it's kind of hard to say definitively whether the shield is white or silver, but it does appear that the face of the "Raider guy" is lighter than the background it's on.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still waiting for a team to do black, silver, and gold. Would love a new LA, NFL team

That's wishful thinking there.

There will never be another NFL team in Los Angeles as long as there is a Davis in control of the Raiders.

Wait until the lease is up at the Edward Jones Dome.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm still waiting for a team to do black, silver, and gold. Would love a new LA, NFL team

There will never be another NFL team in Los Angeles as long as there is a Davis in control of the Raiders.

You're to the Rams what Tank is to the Mets.

You're to the Rams what Tank is to the Mets.

What's wrong with what I said? It's been seriously suggested that a move back to LA is ultimately in the cards for this franchise. I'll be honest, attendance is down, and this franchise has not been able to build any roots outside of the immediate St. Louis area. Anybody from the area would be able to tell you this; St. Louisans by and large value the Cardinals much more than the Rams.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

hmm,

note the shield on the helmet is silver and not white, too.

absolutely bears further research!!

EXCELLENT find, darkhaha!!!

The way the sun is reflecting off the helmet, I think it's kind of hard to say definitively whether the shield is white or silver, but it does appear that the face of the "Raider guy" is lighter than the background it's on.

oaklandraidersafl1tp7.gif

It's whats on the helmet (i think) for my San Antonio Raiders Throwback Football Franchise..

raiderskool.jpg

Yes, I made those unis (except for helmet), deal with it. :P

bSLCtu2.png

What's wrong with what I said? It's been seriously suggested that a move back to LA is ultimately in the cards for this franchise. I'll be honest, attendance is down, and this franchise has not been able to build any roots outside of the immediate St. Louis area. Anybody from the area would be able to tell you this; St. Louisans by and large value the Cardinals much more than the Rams.

I've heard that as well.

Doesn't Georgia still maintain offices in LA? Or has she finally relocated all team operations to Missouri?

I've heard that as well.

Doesn't Georgia still maintain offices in LA? Or has she finally relocated all team operations to Missouri?

Not sure...I think John Shaw still lives in LA, though.

Today, we are all otaku.

Are they really having that much trouble? I'm surprised.

At least one game was blacked out towards the end of last year. (Washington, IIRC). The Chicago and Kansas City games were sellouts mainly because large portions of their respective fanbases were in attendance.

Corporate sponsors had to buy up tickets in order to keep the first two home games this season from being blacked out. And with the way they are playing right about now, I don't think there will be any "honest" sellouts outside of Green Bay and Pittsburgh (and that's again thanks to road fans.)

The Rams have been agitating for improvements and renovation to the EJD recently as well.

On actually building a fanbase in the region...I'll tell you this. I live 3 hours away from St. Louis; about midway between it and Chicago. The local paper gives the Rams little coverage. I know more Packers fans locally than Rams fans. And if you use available merchandise as a measure of a team's popularity, I can find almost no Rams merchandise being stocked by local stores.

IIRC, they have an out in their lease in 2015 if the EJD dips below a certain level of quality compared to the rest of the league. Depending on what happens with the Chargers, LA may still be vacant at that point. Considering how much support the Rams reportedly still have in SoCal, you can't think a move is out of the question.

Today, we are all otaku.

And with the way they are playing right about now, I don't think there will be any "honest" sellouts outside of Green Bay and Pittsburgh (and that's again thanks to road fans.)

Count me in - I've got my ticket already!

It's where I sit.

True, but very few markets are so bad that they'll not support a winning team.

The really problematic markets are bandwagon markets, given the cyclical nature of the modern NFL. You need stability out of your fan base, not people who will fly away when the road gets a little rough.

In the last eight years, the Rams have made the playoffs five times, including two conference championships and one world championship. If they haven't built solid support by now, I'd agree that they're in trouble.

Back to the original topic... Here is a photo from a 1964 Broncos-Raiders game. Note that the Raiders shield is the all-black version, and the numbers are light-colored with a black outline. Again, I've never seen any color photos for verification, but I would bet that the numbers were silver rather than gold.

1964_11_29_FraserJ.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Back to the original topic... Here is a photo from a 1964 Broncos-Raiders game. Note that the Raiders shield is the all-black version, and the numbers are light-colored with a black outline. Again, I've never seen any color photos for verification, but I would bet that the numbers were silver rather than gold.

1964_11_29_FraserJ.jpg

darkhaha,

then i would surmise that the raiders - from your pictures - that the raiders away jerseys in 1963 had thick black body numerals, and either gold or silver sleeve numerals outlined in black. the socks would be black with either a medium silver or gold middle stripe flanked by separated white stripes. the 1964 raiders away jersey had - likely - silver body numerals with a thick black outline and silver sleeve numerals with a basic black outline, and the socks the same as worn with the 63 away jerseys (tough to see, but you can make out stripes on #15's (tom flores?) left sock.

gathering from probaseballarchive.com, there are photos from the oakland tribune, 1963 and 1964 editions, and the home black look virtually identical to today's basic design, including solid black socks. the reproduced photos from the scanned newspapers are crude, but you can see fairly well what was worn.

so the striped socks were worn for away games in 63 & 64, and solid black socks were worn for home games in 63 & 64.

if you are with me on this, then your research is invaluable, darkhaha!!!

thanks!

tb

Look what I found..

1965topps145otto250wma4.jpg

so he signed with the AFL's Oakland Raiders and was issued uniform #50 for the AFL's inaugural season, 1960. He switched to his familiar #00 the next year, the number permitted by the AFL because his jersey number 00 is a homonym pun of his name (aught-O).

The only color photo of the Raiders original uniforms that I've found! It really WAS gold and not yellow.

Also judging from the picture that DarkHaha posted, this is probably what it looked like:

what1963mighthavelookedlike.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

Also judging from the picture that DarkHaha posted, this is probably what it looked like:

what1963mighthavelookedlike.jpg

Huh? I thought the pic he posted showed bold outlined numbers with a light fill? Those are all black.

don't forget the stripes on the socks, too!

Archived