Oakland Raiders 1963 Away Unfirom Question

Old School Fool

Also judging from the picture that DarkHaha posted, this is probably what it looked like:

what1963mighthavelookedlike.jpg

Huh? I thought the pic he posted showed bold outlined numbers with a light fill? Those are all black.

He's referring to a photo I posted earlier in the thread, from 1963.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
check this out:

GibsonFrontSmall.jpg

Great find! Is this from the "Remember the AFL" site? I don't recall seeing it there, but the URL seems to indicate it is.

I'm not sure if this is definitive proof of the gold numbers, though, because football cards of that era were often hand-colored. For instance, I suspect the "stripe" on the socks is really white tape, as that was the custom of the players back then, and yet it is shown here as gold.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

check this out:

GibsonFrontSmall.jpg

Great find! Is this from the "Remember the AFL" site? I don't recall seeing it there, but the URL seems to indicate it is.

I'm not sure if this is definitive proof of the gold numbers, though, because football cards of that era were often hand-colored. For instance, I suspect the "stripe" on the socks is really white tape, as that was the custom of the players back then, and yet it is shown here as gold.

Good call, since obviously the background was colored in. The 1962 Packer Yearbook had a similar thing, in that the facemasks were painted yellow.

1962GBP.jpg

It's where I sit.

check this out:

GibsonFrontSmall.jpg

I got it from the American Football League Hall of Fame site. It is the ONLY example of a color picture of that era that I have been able to find. And believe me, I've been searching for a color photo of that uniform for literally years.

metslogo_215.gif

134.jpg

141.jpg

Two more cards supporting the Gold numbers. I tend to think this is legit and not just colored in.

I can't see any images here.

Also, just to be clear, I realize the Raiders had gold in their uniforms from 1960-62; I'm just not sure about 1963-64.

134.jpg

141.jpg

Two more cards supporting the Gold numbers. I tend to think this is legit and not just colored in.

I can't see any images here.

Also, just to be clear, I realize the Raiders had gold in their uniforms from 1960-62; I'm just not sure about 1963-64.

There were 2 more football card images, but I guess the website I got them from refused download. The jerseys were the same as the others, white jersey with yellow/gold numbers and thick black outlines.

metslogo_215.gif

Here is an interesting old Raiders logo. It seems to support the use of yellow or gold as part of the color scheme. 9.jpg

Sweet! I've been looking for a nice clear version of their first logo! Madden 97 and 98 had a variation of this logo except the Gold was replaced with Silver. I wish I could find another photo, although I could break the discs out and take a pic.

Also, that pic Gothamite posted is awesome!

bSLCtu2.png

Haven't been able to find a picture, but I did come across this great shot of a 1962 jersey:

42245a.jpg42245b.jpg

http://lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=605&lot=1837

Love that number font.

there's obvious chicago bears influence in the 1960-62 raiders' unis. note the numerals (no, not the EXACT same font as the bears, but rounded nonetheless), the three sleeve stripes (including micro thin white outline, like the bears), the plain black helmet (very similar to the plain navy helmet worn by the bears in 60 & 61). the white pants with dark color-light color-dark color stripes as worn by the bears. the sock stripes like the bears. only major difference is the sleeve and sock stripes on the white raiders unis.

note in 1960 and 1961 the bills look was quite similar to the detriot lions honolulu blue and silver togs.

is it possible the numerals and perhaps pants of the 1963 raiders homes were gold instead of silver???

this is a GREAT thread!

Allow me to post my 1.2 cents (after taxes)

Here is a shot that I believe is from the same game that produced the other two Raiders\Broncos pictures in this thread. The pictures isn't clear enough to distinguish the color of the helmet shield, however the numbers on the arms are clearly a light color with a black outline and not solid black.

MVC-043F.jpg

BroncosSig.jpg

Archived