Eagles in Throwbacks

SmoothieX

412flVRvqeL._AA280_.jpg

Wow, those look fantastic.

IMO - the single WORST NFL uniform ever. Seriously. Worse than the monstrosities that are the current Bills, or any of the trendy RBK piping fests going on today.

What made those so horrible - besides the just stupid mis-matched striping on the sleeves - was the fact that they wore those on that heavy, practice-material-like fabric. You could see the pads underneath.

Just awful.

I think these look good as a fashion jersey, but agree they were rather strange for the field. They would never work today, but for their time and place it's a fun uniform to look back on, and if I were an eagles fan I'd love to have one of these classics.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the striping of the hat with the simple helmet. I think that would look cool as an nfl fashion cap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Better the throwback whimsy than the merchandise-friendly, self-conscious, playground-tuff blackish green they regularly wear.

So yes, my opinion of their current look is so low, virtually anything would be better. These throwbacks more than fit the bill.

I think you're missing your sarcasm tag. While I'm with you that the current Eagles look isn't as good as what it replaced, you can't honestly think that the pastel look of last Sunday would be a suitable replacement. In fact, even as an alternate, I think it failed. I really can't see anyone seeking out a bright yellow and baby blue jersey to purchase over last year's black version. Of course, they'll probably sell more yellow than black jerseys this year, but I would imagine a better alternate -- like the Cunningham-era set -- would have sold far, far more. If people aren't buying the yellow jersey, what exactly is the point of bringing it back in the first place?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Hey, isn't that my line? :P

Not sarcasm at all - very serious.

I hate the childish "we're really super tuff" look the Eagles have adopted as late. Would prefer to see a return to the kelly green (with full eagle on sleeve), but failing that I would prefer the unique look of the throwbacks.

Actually, upon further reflection, I have to agree with you. I would imagine that the Eagles have sold all of the black alts they're going to sell. Why not tap into a market for the yellow jerseys, while preparing the kelly green alts next year? Eagles fans -- no matter the number -- will buy them this year, next year, and the Eagles continue to make boatloads money.

It almost seems too easy, doesn't it?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Actually, upon further reflection, I have to agree with you. I would imagine that the Eagles have sold all of the black alts they're going to sell. Why not tap into a market for the yellow jerseys, while preparing the kelly green alts next year? Eagles fans -- no matter the number -- will buy them this year, next year, and the Eagles continue to make boatloads money.

It almost seems too easy, doesn't it?

It's going to be hard to type this while holding my head to keep it from exploding, but here goes.

Jeff Lurie is the owner. Jeff Lurie hates kelly green. Jeff Lurie thinks the Eagles began the day he bought them.

There will not be kelly green Eagles merchandise under Lurie's watch, no matter how much sense it makes and no matter how much we clamor for them. Believe me, we have. Kelly green now and forever.

The black jersey sucked. Black should not be anything more than a trim color, but Lurie listens to focus groups who said it would be so much kewler if the green got so dark it became black. In the right light, the midnight green and black look shockingly similar. Most rational Eagles fans - we do exist! - hate the black alternate, and chose not to blow $300 on a jersey.

I am not sure about the sales of the yellow jerseys, but I know I've seen people wearing them around, probably about as many as the clowns wearing the black jerseys.

I hate the childish "we're really super tuff" look the Eagles have adopted as late. Would prefer to see a return to the kelly green (with full eagle on sleeve), but failing that I would prefer the unique look of the throwbacks.

I'd love to know how the current uniforms exude "really super tuff", Goth. Midnight green is a contrived color that is really a glorified teal. So I wouldn't say the color is super tough. The name/number font is about as prissy as you get in the NFL. They dumped simple block varsity numbers with a minimal black outline for something I'd use in MS Word to draft a letter to my insurance company. (And the diagonal bar on the "1" is almost as offensive as the LA Kings' old "tomahawk 1" that they scotched.) So I wouldn't say the font is super tough.

If the color's not super tough, and the name/number font isn't super tough, what is? The wordmark's kinda badass, I'll concede that. :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

412flVRvqeL._AA280_.jpg

Wow, those look fantastic.

IMO - the single WORST NFL uniform ever. Seriously. Worse than the monstrosities that are the current Bills, or any of the trendy RBK piping fests going on today.

What made those so horrible - besides the just stupid mis-matched striping on the sleeves - was the fact that they wore those on that heavy, practice-material-like fabric. You could see the pads underneath.

Just awful.

Thank God, someone agrees with me. I can't stand these jerseys, more so than probably any other football jersey.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

It's going to be hard to type this while holding my head to keep it from exploding, but here goes.

Jeff Lurie is the owner. Jeff Lurie hates kelly green. Jeff Lurie thinks the Eagles began the day he bought them.

There will not be kelly green Eagles merchandise under Lurie's watch, no matter how much sense it makes and no matter how much we clamor for them. Believe me, we have. Kelly green now and forever.

Huh, I had no idea. So it's one of those white guy/power thing/San Diego Charger deals huh? How stupid.

While I'm with you that the current Eagles look isn't as good as what it replaced, you can't honestly think that the pastel look of last Sunday would be a suitable replacement. In fact, even as an alternate, I think it failed. I really can't see anyone seeking out a bright yellow and baby blue jersey to purchase over last year's black version. Of course, they'll probably sell more yellow than black jerseys this year, but I would imagine a better alternate -- like the Cunningham-era set -- would have sold far, far more. If people aren't buying the yellow jersey, what exactly is the point of bringing it back in the first place?

Went to the movies down in King of Prussia, PA this weekend (it's near Philly)

In the theater i was in alone, i counted 13 people wearing the throwback jerseys. There were a few more outside of the theater as well.

People will buy these, and they are buying them.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Huh, I had no idea. So it's one of those white guy/power thing/San Diego Charger deals huh? How stupid.

its an owner power trip over colors. no idea why, just is.

speaking of which, is there any particular reason why Lurie hates the kelly green? aside from it being the colors of the jets? not to say what they have now is bad, the only thing really lacking is silver/charcoal colored pants. not a fan of the white and green pants they use.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

anyone that believes those things are better than the current Eagles uniforms has to be high on some contraband meds they thieved from thier local pharmacy.

seriously now, how can ANYONE say they are better?

Because they are "throwbacks" and ALL throwbacks are great with some people.

The current Eagle uniforms are terrific from head to toe. Clean, sharp and the type of uniforms that modern football players like.

its an owner power trip over colors. no idea why, just is.

speaking of which, is there any particular reason why Lurie hates the kelly green? aside from it being the colors of the jets? not to say what they have now is bad, the only thing really lacking is silver/charcoal colored pants. not a fan of the white and green pants they use.

When they changed in 1996, he was quoted as saying something like "this change will help further distinguish ourselves from the Jets". I think it has more to do with the Midnight Green being "his" thing, and not wanting to put any more kelly-green merchandise out than is already out there. They have gotten better in recent years of acknowledging that the late 80s - early 90s actually existed, but I still wouldn't hold my breath for a kelly-green throwback day anytime soon.

If they did do it though, I wonder if they'd go with stiched numbers / names, even though they were worn only for the last year of the kelly-green era, and the stretchy - shiny sleeve material, even though those jerseys just used flat mesh.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When they changed in 1996, he was quoted as saying something like "this change will help further distinguish ourselves from the Jets". I think it has more to do with the Midnight Green being "his" thing, and not wanting to put any more kelly-green merchandise out than is already out there.

Never ceases to amaze me - that an owner's egp trip would get in the way of actually making money off merchandise.

Archived