Eagles in Throwbacks

SmoothieX

I'd love to know how the current uniforms exude "really super tuff", Goth. Midnight green is a contrived color that is really a glorified teal. So I wouldn't say the color is super tough. The name/number font is about as prissy as you get in the NFL. They dumped simple block varsity numbers with a minimal black outline for something I'd use in MS Word to draft a letter to my insurance company. (And the diagonal bar on the "1" is almost as offensive as the LA Kings' old "tomahawk 1" that they scotched.) So I wouldn't say the font is super tough.

If the color's not super tough, and the name/number font isn't super tough, what is? The wordmark's kinda badass, I'll concede that. :P

Okay, I'm with you on the goofy number font, but not with the colors.

I don't see how darkening the traditional green until it's almost black, and then actually adding a black jersey on top of that, could be anything other than an attempt to make the merchandise look "tuff-er."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When they changed in 1996, he was quoted as saying something like "this change will help further distinguish ourselves from the Jets". I think it has more to do with the Midnight Green being "his" thing, and not wanting to put any more kelly-green merchandise out than is already out there.

Never ceases to amaze me - that an owner's egp trip would get in the way of actually making money off merchandise.

Well they're near the top in merchandise as is, and the franchise is the 3rd or 4th highest valued in the league (numbers were recently published, but I'm too lazy to get the exact figure.) They're not hurting for cash.

The other thing I was thinking, is that the kelly green days weren't that long ago, so many of the teams' fans still have vivid memories of the players from that era. Those uniforms were Seth's, Clyde's, Reggie's, Randall's, etc. and I think many fans (late 20s - 60s) still associate those colors with those players, and may not buy a kelly-green Westbrook or Dawkins jersey, because in a way it would just be wrong (but the 33 jerseys were from so long ago it just doesn't matter.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

412flVRvqeL._AA280_.jpg

Wow, those look fantastic.

IMO - the single WORST NFL uniform ever. Seriously. Worse than the monstrosities that are the current Bills, or any of the trendy RBK piping fests going on today.

What made those so horrible - besides the just stupid mis-matched striping on the sleeves - was the fact that they wore those on that heavy, practice-material-like fabric. You could see the pads underneath.

Just awful.

I remember that the Eagles had 2 jersey sets back then, or at least once Dick Vermiel showed up in 1976. They had a fishnet set that showed the pad (but had tackle-twill numbers), and that set only had the should stripes and the wide solid "middle" stripe. They also had a regular mesh jersey with screened-on numbers with all the stripes which is what the throwback shown above is based on. The mesh ones acutally looked better because there was more space between the 2-color shoulder loop and the solid-color stripe. They really only wore the "regular" jersey for cold-weather games, at least during the Vermiel era.

One side note on these Eagles uniforms - I do remember (and it's pretty hard to find photo evidence) that the Eagles wore metallic green helmets when they introduced these uniforms back in 1974. It seems like the metallic green was dropped after only one or two seasons. I guess it was more cost-effective to use an impregnated green shell instead of painting one metallic green back in those days. Plus a lot of Eagle players wore Maxpro helmets (painted on the inside of a clear shell) and maybe the metallic didn't come through as well as plain green.

Why not? Looks great.

DEATH TO THE BALL-IN-GLOVE LOGO!!! :cursing:

... Sorry, force of habit. ^_^

im shocked you would speak in vain of our lord and savior Ball-in-Glove of latter day retro. i must carry out the word of B-i-G so i can have a passing final judgement when i meet B-i-G in the big ball park in the sky.icon5.gif:D

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

As for the Eagles, this was the only good thing about their look Sunday:

pg2_g_eaglecheer_195.jpg

Loving the retro cheerleaders gear ... although it is probably 80-90% more skimpy than it would have been beack in the day! Anyone out there got anymore pics of the cheerleaders?!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Loving the retro cheerleaders gear ... although it is probably 80-90% more skimpy than it would have been beack in the day! Anyone out there got anymore pics of the cheerleaders?!

That's not retro cheerleaders gear. This is retro cheerleaders gear -- just Steelers, not Eagles.

Dolly2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

A. Those uniforms were hideous.

B. The only thing retro about the cheerleader uni's was that they were wearing replica jerseys.

C. There ought to be a law that cheerleaders have to wear boots, not Keds.

D. If they have to go retro, the Iggles should go with either the Jaworski or Cunningham era looks, not

so far back that they would need leather helmets and canvas pants to be authentic. Same goes for

all NFL teams (I am looking at you 1994 Bears and Steelers retros, blech!!!)

One side note on these Eagles uniforms - I do remember (and it's pretty hard to find photo evidence) that the Eagles wore metallic green helmets when they introduced these uniforms back in 1974. It seems like the metallic green was dropped after only one or two seasons. I guess it was more cost-effective to use an impregnated green shell instead of painting one metallic green back in those days. Plus a lot of Eagle players wore Maxpro helmets (painted on the inside of a clear shell) and maybe the metallic didn't come through as well as plain green.

I found a photo of the metallic green helmet on www.nflphotolibrary.com:

7796643.jpg From 1974 against the Chargers.

9108893.jpg From 1976 against the Falcons.

11951737.jpg From 1977 against the Rams...looks like it's no longer metallic.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived