Word association game

CC97

but not me

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I say leave it alone. The people who are enjoying it can play. Those who don't like it can ignore it. If interest dies, so too will the thread. If not, it will live on.

As for labelling the word association thread a "game", that implies that there's a "winner" and "losers". I see it as an exercise in... word association. The only purpose is to simply supply a new word that in your opinion follows from the word before it. Must we assume that this is a competition with a set goal at the end. IMHO, the goal is in the participation.

I have to laugh at the number of people who seem to be so caught up in the issue of "post padding". Who is more consumed with post totals: the people who are supposedly "padding" their totals by participating in threads such as the word association, or those people who seem obsessed with pointing out that people are participating? Who gives a frog's fat @$$ what an individual's post total is? Why must everything on this board be so damned competitive all the time?

In all honesty, this whole discussion is one of the most juvenile I've ever witnessed.

Brian in Boston

I cast a null vote, but I do see how it's gotten old. As the originator of the thread I say do what you will.

P.S.: If the result is "yes", I apologize for making the thread, and I promise I will not post another game thread. Even if the result is "no", I still apologize (just not as much) and will not post another game thread.  I basically say all of this as the originator of the "Name Game" thread, also.

In all honesty, this whole discussion is one of the most juvenile I've ever witnessed.

I take it you were never a child at one point in your life.

This discussion is far from juvenile... now if I were to say close the thread without any warning, then post 'nah nah, you can't play anymore' then that would be juvenile, a vote is hardly ever juvenile  (unless it's in Palm Beach  :;): )

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Well, let's just say that I find the griping/sniping/whining about "post-padding" to be "less than adult". Again I ask, who gives a frog's fat @$$ what someone else's post total is? IMHO, it's ridiculously childish behavior.

As for the poll: it's your board, you can do what you like with it. As I've explained, that's not what I was referring to by juvenile. I just find the "post-padding" charges ridiculous.

Brian in Boston

To me, post count is a measure of your involvement and contribution to the board (in combination with the 'Member since:' stat). I like to think that 99% of my posts have been reasonably intelligent contributions to the community. It should be commendable achievement to reach 500, 1000, 1500, or even 2000 posts (as STL's gunning for). These types of games cheapen the prestige (and I know you'll say "what kind of prestige do you get from posting in an online forum on logos?" Well, it's prestige within the community.)

Now disagree with me if you want, but remember... those who complain about complainers haven't thought things the whole way through.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I voted yes, because, no offense to Tank, but I feel I am losing my lead because of these games mainly. Now, not that I care that much about it, but I agree with SyPhi. It shows community involvement, and I enjoy my lead for that reason. Now I'm dropping down to games to keep it. Right or wrong, I dunno, but I'd like the games closed. You can decide whether I'm childish for liking the post count lead, but I can't lie and say I didn't feel some sense of disturbation (heh, funny made up word) when I watched the lead get trimmed to a reasonable amount.

Well, SyPhi and STL FANATIC... we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. IMHO, a member of the CCSLB community could - and should - be judged as having "contibuted" and having been "involved" with 20, 10 or even 5 posts over the course of the site's history... so long as the content of these posts adds to the edification of the community. I believe it shouldn't matter how many times someone posts. I choose to focus on quality over quantity.

If anything, I believe that the focus on "post counts" can be construed as a detriment to the CCSLB sense of "community". After all, the focus on post counts sets up a heirarchy. How exactly does that add to a sense of "community"? You're creating an elitist subset based on the number of times someone has posted. It amounts to a "pi$$ing contest".

STL FANATIC... if the content of your last post is to be taken at face value, "right or wrong" you want to see the word association thread shut down. Not that you care so much about the word association thread or how it is impacting your precious spot atop the post totals... except you DO! Is this hypocritical of you? Selfish? Or just self-contradictory? Preserving your precious "post" lead means more to you than letting other members of your so-called "community" engage in a harmless pursuit that they find enjoyable. In other words, you're all for the "good of the community" until it jeopardizes your status atop the post total. Then, "right or wrong" be damned, you'll do what it takes to preserve your place atop the CCSLB post totals. Am I the only member of this "community" that finds this disturbing? It just strikes me as flying in the face of all the so-called "community" talk that you're trying to spout.

Of course, now we'll probably see the word association thread shut down because it's "causing" a terrible rift in the "community". This despite the fact that it isn't the thread that's to blame; any alleged "rift" is the result of those parties who are so damned caught up in maintaining their prestigious post totals that they've been driven to distraction by a harmlessly entertaining diversion.

Oh... wait. What am I saying? How dare I speak out against the sanctity and importance of the "sacred post count"? After all, this marks fewer than 600 posts on my part. With such a paltry total to my credit, what can I possibly know of such exalted matters? Such impertinence on my part will surely undermine the very foundations of our "community". I beg a thousand pardons from those whose myriad posts have gone before mine.

Brian in Boston

I voted yes, because, no offense to Tank, but I feel I am losing my lead because of these games mainly. Now, not that I care that much about it, but I agree with SyPhi. It shows community involvement, and I enjoy my lead for that reason. Now I'm dropping down to games to keep it. Right or wrong, I dunno, but I'd like the games closed. You can decide whether I'm childish for liking the post count lead, but I can't lie and say I didn't feel some sense of disturbation (heh, funny made up word) when I watched the lead get trimmed to a reasonable amount.

You suck man. Your one of "those" people that actually care about postcounts? Your becoming "disturbed" over it? I thought better of you StL... but i must say with that statement i have lost ALOT of respect for you on these boards...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

as i always say, "post count, schmost count".....who gives a s**t about any of that....it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things anyway.....if these word games are a way for people to have some sort of fun during their otherwise drab workday, schoolday, what have you, then why the hell do we need the 'fun police' to come and take it away....maybe we should burn some books, put parental advisory stickers, or administer a ratings system while we're at it.

Post counts are silly things and we'd be better off without them. Honestly, who cares who's been posting the most or who's been here the longest? Unless you're a gloryseeker, I don't see why it would matter at all. I view everyone's opinions and contributions equally, regardless of how large their count is, and I don't view anyone personally any higher than the next man because of their count either. If you're looking for "prestige," your post count won't earn it in my eyes. It's your personality and your actions as a member of this community that earn it.

Some of us still like the word game. Eventually, it will get old and die on its own. Just don't kill it because people are getting worried about their post counts. That's ridiculous.

I say kill the post counts next to our names.. maybe we should have "Concepts submitted" or "ideas thought of"... then you could be pround of the higher count, as you've actually contributed to the board...

Post Counts suck, and if you take pride in it, you need to seek therapy...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I have lurked this board for months and months. I haven't posted until recently, because I didn't have much to say. I'd rather hear somehting meaningful - rarely, than to hear a lot - that doesn't mean a thing. Thereby, post count is completely meaningless.

I disagree that the post count is fairly meaningless, but true its not something to be taken too seriously!! I think its actually a fairly good way to gauge someones input to the board. Not everyone posts concepts, not everyone writes stuff very often, and we shouldn't let it gewt into a bitchfight between those who care and those who don't. But it gives an idea of 'seniority' on the board, and that shows something of who has contributed to the development of this community!!

And by the way, anybody else think the word association game just seems like an old joke now? (There are like 50 pages of it now!!!! For goodness sakes!!!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived