Sign in to follow this  
Buffalo

Boston NLL

They have "picked" a name it just hasn't been released yet. But I haven't checked their website in a few days, but I'm sure if it happened someone would have posted it up here.

EDIT - The email they sent me a month or two ago said "Some time in September 2007", and it's September 25th.

What will this dang team end up being called? Tell us already! What is the dang hold up? How long could this fiasco possibly last?

What will this dang team end up being called? Tell us already! What is the dang hold up? How long could this fiasco possibly last?

.... until Belichick gets caught....

Your Boston Chowda'heads!!!!

Logo = Lacrosse stick catching a rocketing clam.

They have "picked" a name it just hasn't been released yet. But I haven't checked their website in a few days, but I'm sure if it happened someone would have posted it up here.

EDIT - The email they sent me a month or two ago said "Some time in September 2007", and it's September 25th.

September has become October, and still no nickname. Maybe they're so geeked up about the Red Sox in the playoffs and the soon-to-be 4-0 Patriots that they've forgotten about their own team. :P

Go Fightin' Quahogs!

or Fightin' Lobster Pots?

Fightin' Harbordumpers?

Fightin' Smoots?

I got that e-mail you guys are mentioning too.

I guess there is no rush, the season isn't until December but I'm starting to wonder if they are waiting for a new agreement to come through with the players union an the league. Apparently if we don't see something by (and this is just off the top of my head, so I could be wrong) the end of this month they are going to call the season.

From a marketing standpoint, they've completely botched the unveiling of the team's name and logo.

Think about it. The playoff run of the Red Sox could potentially run through November 1st, grabbing the attention of a significant percentage of sports-minded New Englanders. Similarly, history shows that the New England Patriots are going to capture the hearts, minds and imaginations of the region's sports fans throughout the NFL schedule, with even more fans caught up in their exploits if they reel off a healthy unbeaten streak to start this season. With the arrival of Kevin Garnett on the scene, there is a buzz of anticipation surrounding the start of the Boston Celtics' season. Boston College's football team is off to it's best start in years, grabbing even more of the attention of sports die-hards. The New England Revolution will be competing in the MLS playoffs. Hell... the NHL's Boston Bruins will have a hard enough time making a ripple on the New England sports scene in October, November and December of 2007, let alone a start-up franchise in a niche circuit like the National Lacrosse League.

I would never counsel a pro sports franchise to rush the creative aspects of the branding process. That said, plenty of time in which to create a strong sports branding system has elapsed since the formal announcement of this team's being granted to it's ownership group in early May (the 8th or 9th, if I remember correctly). In fact, a week from today will mark five full months. Given the plethora of major stories which are poised to dominate the New England sports scene over the next three months, ownership of Boston's new NLL franchise would have been far better served by unveiling their identity to the public in late August - when the story had at least some chance of garnering a bit of attention. The Red Sox were all but certain of factoring in the playoffs in some way, shape or form... the Pats were playing meaningless pre-season games... BC football hadn't yet kicked-off... the Celtics and Bruins were just beginning to gear-up for training camp to start... the Revolution were the Revolution as far as the local sports media was concerned.

Bottom line? Waiting until October or November to unveil the identity package virtually guarantees that the team will be competing for attention with up to five major professional sports franchises, as well as the athletic programs of any number of Greater Boston colleges and universities. In August, the team would have been competing for attention with just the Sox, Revs and Cannons... and no college programs.

As a side note, a former MILL team from 1989 - 1991 was the New England Blazers, which moved to Boston, becoming (yes, you guessed it), the Boston Blazers, which lasted until 1997. That team, however, was green, orange, and black.

All that suspense for this?!

Looks like something an ABA team would use, minus the obligatory basketball.

Wow! Even less inspired than I imagined a logo accompanying this name would be. I mean, it's basically clip-art. Talk about dropping the ball.

Horrible.