Hornets unveil new Alt. Logo

Discogod

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That really needs to be the primary--immediately. Less cartoonish hornet + easily identifiable local imagery tied seamlessly together=tremendous upgrade. It's very well executed, but needs more yellow.

Ditto. Very, very ditto!

It reminds me a little of Glenn's True North Football Federation team, the Québec Harfangs:

quebecharfangslarge.gif

philly.png

I like this logo a lot, but do the Saints have a justified complaint? Or is the fleur-de-lis enough of a New Orleans staple that anyone and everyone can get away with this?

For those hoping it will be the primary, the NBA's recent practice seems to be to introduce a secondary that eventually replaces the primary. That may the case here as well.

The only thing that rings a bit hollow is the fact that the Hornets are embracing a return to New Orleans now that the Sonics are the favorite for OKC. Otherwise, I'd like the gesture as well as the logo.

092707_FleurdeBee_story.jpg

It needs a little more color, more white. Maybe give it another outline inbetween the teal and the purple around the edge there, sort of like the saints do it. If it had more white, more color it would be perfect, I love the concept, and the saints have proved that the fluer-de-lis is strong enough to stand on its own as a primary mark. This is that, plus a bee.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, I think it's you.

I like this logo a lot, but do the Saints have a justified complaint? Or is the fleur-de-lis enough of a New Orleans staple that anyone and everyone can get away with this?

For those hoping it will be the primary, the NBA's recent practice seems to be to introduce a secondary that eventually replaces the primary. That may the case here as well.

The only thing that rings a bit hollow is the fact that the Hornets are embracing a return to New Orleans now that the Sonics are the favorite for OKC. Otherwise, I'd like the gesture as well as the logo.

092707_FleurdeBee_story.jpg

Especially considering Shinn's track record. Still, I like it.

I don't want to speak for them, but as an outsider I think that the fleur-de-lis is itself enough of a New Orleans staple to not cause problems with the Saints. Especially considering the color and design differences.

Even the city uses a version of it on its site:

bottomLogo.gif

Just to echo what appears to be the overwhelming sentiment -this should absolutely be the primary next season. So much better than anything the franchise has ever used.

If anyone should be complaining, it's the Bourbon dynasty of France. But their legal representatives didn't have an immediate comment back when the Saints' helmets were unveiled and don't have one still.

This one, by the way, is bee-autiful!

I don't want to speak for them, but as an outsider I think that the fleur-de-lis is itself enough of a New Orleans staple to not cause problems with the Saints. Especially considering the color and design differences.

That was my initial sense, too, but I'm guessing the NFL and the Saints are the only one with a trademark, which leads me to...

If anyone should be complaining, it's the Bourbon dynasty of France. But their legal representatives didn't have an immediate comment back when the Saints' helmets were unveiled and don't have one still.

... this reminds me of the current Tommy Tutone-Bruce Springsteen non-issue I just read about. Long story short, Tutone didn't trademark Jenny's number and now two plumbing companies are fighting over it. In this scenario, the Saints are the plumbing companies and the Bourbon dynasty is Tutone. (And the Hornets might end up being Springsteen?) Wow, talk about off track. Sorry.

In this scenario, the Saints are the plumbing companies and the Bourbon dynasty is Tutone. (And the Hornets might end up being Springsteen?)

..."Now I'm thinking it could mean you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here is the shepherd, protecting my righteous ass. Or maybe it means that you're the righteous man, and I'm the shepherd, and it's the world that's evil and selfish. Now I'd like that, but you see that :censored: ain't the truth. The truth is, YOU'RE the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Of course, the Nordiques had used it as a secondary logo for more than two decades and they had nothing to do with New Orleans. It's that pesky French thing again.

Has anyone trademarked the Hammer And Sickle yet? There must be an Aggie college in the Midwest dying to use it.

I found this interesting:

Designed by Hornets Executive Officer of the Board Chad Shinn and consultants from the NBA and Adidas

So I guess a move to KC or Vegas is out of the cards for now.

I personally like it; it fits in perfectly for a New Orleans-based team.

Has anyone trademarked the Hammer And Sickle yet? There must be an Aggie college in the Midwest dying to use it.

Reports about Iowa State investigating a complete identity makeover, including changing the team name to "Fighting Bolsheviks", have been exaggerated. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Of course, the Nordiques had used it as a secondary logo for more than two decades and they had nothing to do with New Orleans. It's that pesky French thing again.

Ah yes, forgot about them.

Don't forget that the Expos used it as well:

41BH04CEXAL._SS500_.jpg

Besides, appropriating the symbol of the Bourbons for one's own ends is not exactly new:

henryV_KB.jpg

:D

.... Or is the fleur-de-lis enough of a New Orleans staple that anyone and everyone can get away with this?

As one of several New Orleans locals on the board, I can assure you that the Saints have no claim on the fleur-de-lis symbol and that the fleur is indeed a local staple. It has always been featured on the city flag.

Fleurs are EVERYWHERE, in various derivations, especially since Katrina. In fact, the fleur has become a de facto symbol of the recovery.... you can see them on yard banners, jewelry, magnetic 'ribbons' affixed to cars, as painted public art sculptures, even tattoos. Abita Beer even formulated a "Fleur-de-Lis" restoration ale:

ribbon.jpgtattoo.jpgabita.jpg

Following is a link describing the post-katrina fleur-de-lis marketing phenomena:

Symbol of New Orleans flying off the shelves

Although the fleur is in danger of becoming ubiquitous to the point of overkill, I am in complete agreement with the other posters-- the Fleur-de-bee needs to be our primary and SOON. A patch is good for this year, but the powers that be should submit the paperwork to have this ready as the primary for next season as per league rules.

I mean, come on, just compare these two:

092707_FleurdeBee_story.jpgOLD.JPG

No contest.

It is what it is.

WOW WOW WOW. Color me impressed, that is nice!

And I second the motion to make that the primary ASAP. There really is no contest, the original still screams Charlotte circa 1988.

It's been a long time since i've seen a sports logo that knocked my socks off. This is one. I feel good about the world again... :)

Archived