Is the Big East a big time conference?

JQK

I remember when Miami, Va Tech and BC left the Big East, there was discussion, and rightfully so, wether the conference was big time enough, or if it deserved it's BCS position. Looking back at it now, a couple years down the road, and seeing that Louisville has become a big power (although they have tripped up this year), West Virgina being a power, Rutgers suprisingly becoming a power, and the big shocker of USF coming on and flexing their muscle, and with talk that Cincinatti is well on it's way to moving up in the conference and in national rankings, is it safe to say that the Big East is one of the premier conferences in college football once again?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It could be. We're talking about 5 of the 8 football playing schools that are ranked in the Top 25. Not one conference can say that they can do that outside of the Big East...

Even better yet, you have a huge game between West Virginia and South Florida tonight that may turn the conference race into an all out dogfight (Remember, you still have Rutgers, Cincy, and even Louisville in the picture). This ought to be fun.

Trust me, I was one of the people who said that the Big East turned into the Lil' East when all the big dogs left. Now, they've developed their own big dogs, and they're for real. And the thing is, it's the most wide-open conference to win in 1-A. Any of the Top 5 can win it. It's crazy.

The real irony here is that the Big East is probably a better conference than the ACC this season. ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also surprising is that SU is tied (With UCONN :o ) for the Big East lead as of today. They may be 1-3, but 1-0 in this conference is amazing. :D

I do believe that the Big East is getting away from the "basketball only" name it has. If USF/WVU/Rutgers/Cincy/Louisville win a big bowl game, or even a National Championship they will lost that tag all together.

saBS.png

Also surprising is that SU is tied (With UCONN :o ) for the Big East lead as of today. They may be 1-3, but 1-0 in this conference is amazing. :D

I do believe that the Big East is getting away from the "basketball only" name it has. If USF/WVU/Rutgers/Cincy/Louisville win a big bowl game, or even a National Championship they will lost that tag all together.

Didn't Louisville win a BCS bowl game last year?

espnsig.gif

Yes, but I am thinking more along the lines of a BCS Championship, or a huge upset like a BSU win over Oklahoma.

saBS.png

Yes, but I am thinking more along the lines of a BCS Championship, or a huge upset like a BSU win over Oklahoma.

Well considering the Big East is a BCS conference a BSU over Oklahoma type upset will never happen because the Big East champion won't be that type of underdog. The closest thing to that type upset for the Big East was the 2006 Sugar Bowl WVU over Georgia in Atlanta.

IMO the Big East will remain considered primarily a basketball conference as long as they have so many non-football schools, it may be unfair because this conference is such a great conference, better than the Big Ten and ACC this year. But when 8 schools are added for basketball (Notre Dame is independent), its hard not to see it as a basketball conference. My hopes for the Big East would be for the non-football schools to break-off in their own conference. If they develop a FBS football team, they get into the big east, maybe im just writing as im thinking...but i think that could make the Big East better.

brewerssig.jpg

I hope the current configuration sticks together for as long as possible. Anyone who's been to the Big East basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden can tell you how amazing and special an event it is (especially if you have a student ticket and you can see an entire day's worth of top-flight college basketball up-close at a historic venue for only $10), and it'd be a shame if the basketball-only schools were to break off or be cast off.

Watching the Big East go from the middle of the pack, to absolute rock bottom, and then to levels arguably better than before in such a short timespan has been truly impressive and exciting as an alum of a Big East school. Kudos to Mike Tranghese. The NHL could use a guy like him.

I would rank the Big East 4th among the BCS conferences:

1. SEC

2. Pac-10

3. Big XII

4. Big East

5. Big Ten

6. ACC

1. SEC

2. Pac-10

3. Big East

4. Big XII (Thanks solely to Oklahoma)

5. ACC

6. Big Ten

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

SC is the only reason the Pac-10 can be ranked 2...

I dunno... I think Cal and Oregon are legit, but beyond that... not so much.

I'd have the Big East above the Big XII but I think Oklahoma's the best team out of the those two conferences. The Big East has become a lot of fun with the emergence of South Florida and Rutgers... much better than ACC or Big Ten football.

IUe6Hvh.png

SC is the only reason the Pac-10 can be ranked 2...

I would not go that far as Cal and Oregon are good, plus Erickson has ASU playing thuggish as he does. Norm Hitzges, on KTCK The Ticket in Dallas, talked about possible lines for if there was a SEC vs. Pac 10 matchups. They used all their information, but Vandy and I believe Ms. State were omitted as two schools were not in it since the Pac 10 has only 10. While the matchups were done early, like Washington was in the top half, Pac 10 was a favorite 6-4 over the SEC. Looking at it now, that could still stand. This was donebefore Auburn's two losses, Tennessee's losses, and the poor play of Oregon State.

I'll look for a thread on it, but USF is for real. Plus, if Levitt leaves for more money, they have Dan McCarney to take control. That school is set!

I'm starting to think the ACC shot themselves in the foot when they cannibalized the Big East. I had a hard time wondering why they tried so hard to get the Big East's football powers since even with Miami, BC and VT, no one was gonna see the ACC as a stronger football conference than the SEC, Big Ten, Pac 10 or Big XII. All it did was give the ACC the right to a championship game and make them the undisputed #5 conference (instead of it being a debate on whether or not the ACC or the Big East was #5).

On top of that, ACC taking those teams freed up the Big East to invite all the basketball powers from Conference USA making them, and not the ACC, the strongest basketball conference. Now Big East football is as good as it's ever been and probably even stronger than the ACC and Big Ten (though, IMO, the latter is in a slump and should pick back up in a year or two).

If you ask me, the Big East should pay back the ACC and try to get Maryland. Methinks Maryland would jump at the chance of not having to play second banana to the Carolina schools and be in the same league as their biggest basketball (and academic) rival, Georgetown.

I hope the current configuration sticks together for as long as possible. Anyone who's been to the Big East basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden can tell you how amazing and special an event it is (especially if you have a student ticket and you can see an entire day's worth of top-flight college basketball up-close at a historic venue for only $10), and it'd be a shame if the basketball-only schools were to break off or be cast off.

Even if the non-football schools broke off into their own league, both leagues would still have enough east coast teams to justify holding their tourney at MSG. I can't see MSG being too upset about raking in the revenue from two major conferences rather than one.

Even if the non-football league decided to rotate the location by team, MSG would get the tournament whenever it was St. John's turn to host.

Archived