Is the Big East a big time conference?

JQK

I hope the current configuration sticks together for as long as possible. Anyone who's been to the Big East basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden can tell you how amazing and special an event it is (especially if you have a student ticket and you can see an entire day's worth of top-flight college basketball up-close at a historic venue for only $10), and it'd be a shame if the basketball-only schools were to break off or be cast off.

Even if the non-football schools broke off into their own league, both leagues would still have enough east coast teams to justify holding their tourney at MSG. I can't see MSG being too upset about raking in the revenue from two major conferences rather than one.

Even if the non-football league decided to rotate the location by team, MSG would get the tournament whenever it was St. John's turn to host.

I have no doubt that both conferences would be able to hold their own in terms of basketball, but it would be too bad to see a great basketball conference (and great basketball traditions and rivalries) broken up by football considerations.

I hope the current configuration sticks together for as long as possible. Anyone who's been to the Big East basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden can tell you how amazing and special an event it is (especially if you have a student ticket and you can see an entire day's worth of top-flight college basketball up-close at a historic venue for only $10), and it'd be a shame if the basketball-only schools were to break off or be cast off.

Even if the non-football schools broke off into their own league, both leagues would still have enough east coast teams to justify holding their tourney at MSG. I can't see MSG being too upset about raking in the revenue from two major conferences rather than one.

Even if the non-football league decided to rotate the location by team, MSG would get the tournament whenever it was St. John's turn to host.

I have no doubt that both conferences would be able to hold their own in terms of basketball, but it would be too bad to see a great basketball conference (and great basketball traditions and rivalries) broken up by football considerations.

I'm sure they'd still schedule each other in non-conference games... maybe even do something like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

As far as rivalries, most of the ones I associate with the Big East would remain intact... Syracuse vs UConn, Georgetown vs Villanova, St. John's vs Seton Hall, etc. But I'm guessing you have a different perspective as a Cuse fan.

My problem with the Big East is that 16 teams is just too damn many. For me, the Big East hasn't been the same since Miami joined and an 8-team non-football conference made up of former Big East schools would be closer to the original Big East than what the conference is now. Yea, it'd have a few Great Lakes teams (De Paul, Marquette and Notre Dame), but at least the latter two are known for playing an east coast style of ball.

Everyone is forgetting that if the ACC plan had gone off right the Big East would have been killed off as a football conference as the conference would have been left with only 5 teams which is below the NCAA minimum.

The ACC's plan was for BC, Miami and Syracuse to jump to the ACC in June 2003 and start ACC play in September 2003. This would have left Pitt, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, West Va. and Temple(who was being replaced by UConn in 2005) scrambling to not only find new conference members but they also would have had to schedule three games at very late notice.

The ACC, BC, Miami and Cuse did everything in secret and even flat out lied to Big East memebers and officals telling them they were staying(the most famous being Donna Shalala president of U of Miami standing up infront of the other BE presidents and telling them they had no plans of moving). Well secrets don't last long and word started to get out during the 2003 NCAA Basketball Tourney that the raid was real and not just Miami trying to get a better bowl payout deal. Then all hell broke loose with lawsuits being filed, politicans getting involved, calls for the NCAA to allow championship games with only 11 teams, and so on.

Miami had to wait a year before joining the ACC, Virginia Tech replaced Syracuse, BC tried to play both sides of the fence but picked the wrong since in the grand scheme of things since they have to ship non-revenue sports teams down south which eats up the athletic budget.

BC tried to play both sides of the fence but picked the wrong since in the grand scheme of things since they have to ship non-revenue sports teams down south which eats up the athletic budget.

HA-HA /nelson

I could understand Miami and VT moving... but BC's closest in-conference rival is now a short 435 mile hike down the coast. And now because of it, the Big East has a member (USF) that's almost 900 miles from its nearest rival (Louisville). Methinks this defeats the purpose of having conferences.

BC tried to play both sides of the fence but picked the wrong since in the grand scheme of things since they have to ship non-revenue sports teams down south which eats up the athletic budget.

HA-HA /nelson

I could understand Miami and VT moving... but BC's closest in-conference rival is now a short 435 mile hike down the coast. And now because of it, the Big East has a member (USF) that's almost 900 miles from its nearest rival (Louisville). Methinks this defeats the purpose of having conferences.

The Big East football schools wanted both USF and UCF but the catholic schools and commish Mike Tranghese(who get's way to much credit for saving the Big East) wouldnt admit UCF as a full member because they felt they were not "ready".

But it's true that Boston College playing in a southern conference, USF playing in a north eastern conference, Penn State playing in a mid-western conference and Louisiana Tech playing in a far-western conference makes no sense.

Maryland beating rutgers really helped the ACC this year when comparing. I think the Big East is still better this year but not by alot.

That loss was hard to take. My hart sank yesterday. I thought if Rutgers could get by USF, WV, and louisville, they had a shot, just a shot, at the national championship game...

Now? Not even if everyone else loses two games....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Yes, the Big East is a legit BCS conference now. To me, some of the most exciting football is being played in there now. Hopefully, people will now spell Cincinnati right, Rutgers will regain what it once had that being one of the first teams to ever play football, and USF will actually stay in the Top 10 the rest of the year.

I love seeing teams like Kentucky, Cincinnati, Rutgers, South Florida, South Carolina, and Boston College in the rankings. Their football games are more exciting to watch than say USC beating up on some lowly team, or locally Ohio State beating up on Youngstown State or Northwestern. I really think if UC still played OSU this year, UC would've won. And, Come on how can you not love a predominately basketball loving fan base school, Kentucky, who up to last year didn't give a hoot about football or baseball for that matter, see their respective baseball and football teams rise in the national spotlight (UK is now No. 8, but is about to lose to the Ol' Ball Coach on Thursday, sorry Cat fans). I'll take last year for example, what was the most boring game to watch during bowl season... Ohio St. vs. Florida which could have been one of the worst National Championship games in history to watch (No offense to Florida fans, I wanted them to win). I enjoyed seeing Wake Forest vs. Louisville, BSU vs. Oklahoma, and perhaps my favorite bowl game was UK vs. Clemson.

Again, the Big East is here to stay, and of course the SEC is where real football is played.

Best Conferences:

1. SEC

2. Big East

3. Pac 10

4. Big XII

5. ACC

6. Big Ten

Last: Notre Dame/Independents (Sorry Golden Domers)

The ACC, BC, Miami and Cuse did everything in secret and even flat out lied to Big East memebers and officals telling them they were staying(the most famous being Donna Shalala president of U of Miami standing up infront of the other BE presidents and telling them they had no plans of moving). Well secrets don't last long and word started to get out during the 2003 NCAA Basketball Tourney that the raid was real and not just Miami trying to get a better bowl payout deal. Then all hell broke loose with lawsuits being filed, politicans getting involved, calls for the NCAA to allow championship games with only 11 teams, and so on.

BEST.NAME.EVER.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Best Conferences:

1. SEC

2. Big East

3. Pac 10

4. Big XII

5. ACC

6. Big Ten

Not really. Looking at the conferences, this season it seems to be (Note the spacing too)*

1. SEC

2. Pac-10

3 (tie). Big East

3 (tie). Big XII

5. Big Ten (11)

6. ACC

* Not meant to be authoritative, but rather to spurn discussion. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental, Void where prohibited, Some assembly required, Contestants in Canada must pass a math skills test before claiming prize, Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients, Colors may fade, Your mileage may vary.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Best Conferences:

1. SEC

2. Big East

3. Pac 10

4. Big XII

5. ACC

6. Big Ten

Not really. Looking at the conferences, this season it seems to be (Note the spacing too)*

1. SEC

2. Pac-10

3 (tie). Big East

3 (tie). Big XII

5. Big Ten (11)

6. ACC

* Not meant to be authoritative, but rather to spurn discussion. Any resemblance to real persons living or dead is purely coincidental, Void where prohibited, Some assembly required, Contestants in Canada must pass a math skills test before claiming prize, Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients, Colors may fade, Your mileage may vary.

The ACC is better than the Big Ten. Duke beating Norhtwestern has to count for something.

Donna Shalala president of U of Miami

BEST.NAME.EVER.

It's Sha-LAY-La. Not Sha-La-La.

Former Secretary of Health & Human Services during the Clinton administration.

Might want to learn some history there, sport. :P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The ACC is better than the Big Ten. Duke beating Norhtwestern has to count for something.

Northwestern hasn't been relevant for at least 7 years and Duke hasn't been relevant since before the TV was invented.

People are really reaching to take shots at the Big Ten since the Appalachian State fiasco.

Northwestern hasn't been relevant for at least 7 years and Duke hasn't been relevant since before the TV was invented.

People are really reaching to take shots at the Big Ten since the Appalachian State fiasco.

I didn't know TV was invented in 1990.

And speaking as someone who watches this Conference play, those shots are deserved this season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived