Houston Astros retro weekend

HedleyLamarr

I assume the Astros are doing some weekend-long tribute to Craig Biggio this weekend, as he's retiring after the season. I don't know who's choice it was, but it looks like the Astros will be wearing the three different regular home jerseys the Astros have had since Biggio's played.

Last night, they wore their pajama-like set:

capt.bcac8ac04e1e48238d0605d2bc92d33d.braves_astros_baseball_hta104.jpg

Tonight, they're wearing their previous home jersey (that late 90's set).

That's a pretty neat idea....

capt.31ba4d37a82641b586fdaea2f95f933c.braves_astros_baseball_hta102.jpg

A couple more things about tonight's uniforms....

1. If you'll notice the catcher's sleeve patch, it's that 50th anniversary patch of Jackie Robinson's first season that all the teams wore in 1997

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Biggio wore his actual 1997 jersey.

bSLCtu2.png

capt.31ba4d37a82641b586fdaea2f95f933c.braves_astros_baseball_hta102.jpg

A couple more things about tonight's uniforms....

1. If you'll notice the catcher's sleeve patch, it's that 50th anniversary patch of Jackie Robinson's first season that all the teams wore in 1997

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Biggio wore his actual 1997 jersey.

No, you can see the Majestic logo on the left sleeve. In 1997, the jerseys were made by Russell, and more importantly, the logo was always on the right sleeve.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I dig those 80s jerseys with the racing stripes. I think those mid-90s ones are some of the blandest, most boring unis around. The wordmark is cartoonish. I was glad when they went to their new script and look.

I see where you're coming from, but I think in this instance that the bland, clean uniform actually goes well with the nickname.

From the aesthetics standpoint, however, I greatly prefer the uniform they wore on Friday. Those all-star jerseys back in 2004 that were based on that jersey were great.

2. The number font on these are totally wrong.

Majestic butchering a number font? Shocking! Ugh, those guys have no attention to detail, as evidenced by what they've done wrong on the '84 Padres throwbacks, the '83 White Sox throwbacks, and I'm sure there's other fine examples...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A bunch of us from the ballpark here in Springfield got to go up to the Cardinals-Astros game at Busch Stadium last Saturday. It was the game where they honored Biggio before the game. As big as of Cardinals fans as we are, and how much we dislike the Astros, when he came out, me and some others couldn't help but stand and applaud, because we sure as hell respect the hell out of that guy. Hard to find a classier, harder working, loyal to your team kind of guy than Craig Biggio. The entire ballpark actually gave him a long standing ovation, especially when he pinched hit in the ninth, and got a hit on it.

Also, we stayed at The Westin across from the ballpark, where the visiting team stays. When we arrived, as we were going through the "spinning" door, Biggio was standing on the inside talking on a cell phone. As I walked past him, I realized it was him. I just kept looking ahead, didn't want to just stare at him. One of my buddies ahead of me looked back and mouthed to his girlfriend that it was Craig Biggio. She didn't know who was, but he mouthed it me then and I confirmed. It was one hell of a night. He's one hell of a guy.

On the actual topic, the 80's uniforms look so much better with dark cleats. And the 90's set is perfection. I think they went with the '97 set because this is '07 and actually 60 years since Jackie Robinson's debut (the patch says 50), so it kind fit in a way, exactly 10 years. I'm guessing the first one was '87. His rookie year. Yeah, he played 20 years, so a set for every 10 years.... I probably should've figured that out sooner.... oh well. ^_^

Thanks for memories, Craig. Even if a lot of them came at the hands of my Cardinals. Your still one of the most repsectable and respectful guys to ever play the game of baseball. Won't be the same without you. You prove Nice guys don't always finish last.... though it'd probably be an even more truer statement if you had gotten to win a World Series.

1462929817_93d37136de.jpg

Sheezus. That seriously looks like an eBay knockoff straight out of Hong Kong.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived