2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

From what I understand, the rule was already in place. They are just making sure the officials understand and enforce it now. You are not and have never been allowed to distract the goalie by waving your hands or stick in front of his face.

EDIT: And apparently I was 100% wrong. The rule is new. My bad.

No it is a rule clarification meaning of Unsportsmanlike conduct. The refs had warned Avery in the game that he would get called for Unsportmanlike and Avery stopped. The ref also notified both benches that if it continued it would be called.

Also in the news Dave Nonis fired as Canucks GM.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234310&lid...s=secStory_main

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*Warning! This post may include an angry fan venting.*

Ok I've had it up to here with the officiating during penguins games. I understand most of the penalties that Ottawa got except for the one where there was a scrum near the net and 2 of our guys get sent to the box yet none from the penguins do after they jumped on our players first. But the thing that really :censored:ing pisses me off was the lack of penalties going to the Pens, they cross-checked, slashed and tripped us right in front of the ref WHILE HE WAS LOOKING AT THEM and no :censored:ing call.

This team needs a MAJOR overhaul, Spezza, Heatley, Redden, Meszaros, get rid of them all. I think this was definitely the worst defeat for me personally, I would have rather missed the playoffs...

Congrats Penguins you win, I give up.

Across the board officiating is bad. I seem to remember last year the Refs were calling a lot more in Ottawa's favour...

I'm not going to lie, I am looking forward to the potential sweep. It will make my summer so much easier, same if Boston takes out Montreal. Although I was watching the game with a Sens fan friend and I felt bad for him by the end of it, he is pretty passionate about them but he has also thrown in the towel.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Ok I've had it up to here with the officiating during penguins games. I understand most of the penalties that Ottawa got except for the one where there was a scrum near the net and 2 of our guys get sent to the box yet none from the penguins do after they jumped on our players first. But the thing that really :censored:ing pisses me off was the lack of penalties going to the Pens, they cross-checked, slashed and tripped us right in front of the ref WHILE HE WAS LOOKING AT THEM and no :censored:ing call.

This team needs a MAJOR overhaul, Spezza, Heatley, Redden, Meszaros, get rid of them all. I think this was definitely the worst defeat for me personally, I would have rather missed the playoffs...

Across the board officiating is bad. I seem to remember last year the Refs were calling a lot more in Ottawa's favour...

I'm not going to lie, I am looking forward to the potential sweep. It will make my summer so much easier, same if Boston takes out Montreal. Although I was watching the game with a Sens fan friend and I felt bad for him by the end of it, he is pretty passionate about them but he has also thrown in the towel.

Don't expect you to feel bad it's a rivalry, you have every right to feel that way :P But I don't remember the officiating sticking out in anyone's mind as much as it did tonight. Oh well it's over...again...

Hi, how are you?

Wild 3, Colorado 2 (OT)

Pierre-Marc Bouchard with the OT winner from Brian Rolston. Three straight 3-2 OT games in the series.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

YYYEEESSS!!! Kind of a strange play leading to the goal, with the Avs apparently forgetting to touch up for icing. The Wild got a little lucky there, but they capitalized on that break. That's what Cup contenders do, and this season's Wild are fitting that description a helluva lot better than last year's one-and-done squad when they ran right into the Anaheim buzzsaw.

CCSLC signature.png

I just...just checked the results on nhl.com and I cannot believe the Predators won their game. I stopped watching it after the 3rd periods first 10 minutes, assuming the Wings would get the easy W. But WTH, the Preds finished 5-3. It's a shame they won't win the series though, it would be nice to see some new faces in the second round. The Wings dominated the entire series and probably the regular season too as well as the last few years for that matter.

Don't expect you to feel bad it's a rivalry, you have every right to feel that way :P But I don't remember the officiating sticking out in anyone's mind as much as it did tonight. Oh well it's over...again...

Teehee! This is the only consolation I have as a Leafs fan. Well this, and watching Montreal drop the next 3 games. I have to admit, Pittsburgh is playing much better than I thought they would. They are very solid all around...

I said it last summer and no one believed me - Bryan Murray is going to ruin the team. I don't think he'll get canned... yet... but I'm sure some moves will be made... or attempted. Now it looks like our little annoying brothers to the north may be in the same boat as us, although with more talented players' contracts being unmovable. I have a feeling they will be better next season, although they will squeek in again and the wheels on the bandwaggon are going to keep falling off. If Toronto DOES bring in Brian Burke or another top-level GM, you'll see a lot more support for us, just like when Bryan Colangelo was brought in by the Raptors, they INSTANTLY got more legitimate and the fans began to return.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

All in all, it was bad officiating, yes, but it wasnt that Ottawa was getting a ton of non-calls. Pittsburgh was still more disciplined and committed less penalties, called or not, and Ottawa could have still been able to keep the game close despite the many calls against them, or, couldve played more disciplined and lowered the amount of questionable calls that potentially could go against them. Which leads me to say Ottawa got away with quite a bit also. If every penalty commited in that game was called, thered be plenty on us, sure, but there'd still be far more on the Senators.

One instance sticks out in my mind, and it couldve changed the game completely, in your favor or ours.: Remmeber Hossa's chance when a shot that Gerber didnt stop completely went off the post and Hossa couldnt get the rebound because of the Ottawa defender being in the way? That was a clean play, until, the Ottawa defender in question fell onto the puck and covered it with his hand IN THE CREASE, and just casually placed it out of the crease after the whistle was blown.

No penalty shot awarded to Hossa.

except for the one where there was a scrum near the net and 2 of our guys get sent to the box yet none from the penguins do after they jumped on our players first.

Umm, wrong. Two of our guys did go in the box. Letang (who Gerber went after before any of our guys did anything) and Staal. Also, like I jsut said, Gerber did go after Letang first, the rest of our guys reacted, and yours after that.

oBIgzrL.png

Nonis was REALLY close to signing a talented Swede (Fabian Brunnstrom) to a 3-year entry level contract, but now that he got canned, Brunstrom may look elsewhere, because he was really close with Nonis on talks, and that's all gone now...

It'll really sting if this guy turns out to be an all-star caliber player and tears up the league, knowing that if we had kept Nonis just a bit longer (to sign him) he would've been ours.

EDIT: TSN reported a couple days ago about this:

The Canucks' pursuit of Swedish super-prospect Fabian Brunnstrom (left) hinges on the return of GM Dave Nonis and coach Alain Vigneault. TSN reported Sunday that Brunnstrom, a 23-year-old free agent, is balking at coming to Vancouver due to the uncertain status of Nonis and Vigneault, who have received no public backing from owner Francesco Aquilini.

All in all, it was bad officiating, yes, but it wasnt that Ottawa was getting a ton of non-calls. Pittsburgh was still more disciplined and committed less penalties, called or not, and Ottawa could have still been able to keep the game close despite the many calls against them, or, couldve played more disciplined and lowered the amount of questionable calls that potentially could go against them. Which leads me to say Ottawa got away with quite a bit also. If every penalty commited in that game was called, thered be plenty on us, sure, but there'd still be far more on the Senators.

One instance sticks out in my mind, and it couldve changed the game completely, in your favor or ours.: Remmeber Hossa's chance when a shot that Gerber didnt stop completely went off the post and Hossa couldnt get the rebound because of the Ottawa defender being in the way? That was a clean play, until, the Ottawa defender in question fell onto the puck and covered it with his hand IN THE CREASE, and just casually placed it out of the crease after the whistle was blown.

No penalty shot awarded to Hossa.

except for the one where there was a scrum near the net and 2 of our guys get sent to the box yet none from the penguins do after they jumped on our players first.

Umm, wrong. Two of our guys did go in the box. Letang (who Gerber went after before any of our guys did anything) and Staal. Also, like I jsut said, Gerber did go after Letang first, the rest of our guys reacted, and yours after that.

Letang took that extra jab at Gerber, when it was covered, so that counts as the first shot. Yes we reacted just as your guys did but yet you guys get the 5 on 3 okay, if you think the calls were equal then your nuts.

I saw Crosby cross check Volchenkov 3 times 2 feet away from the referee and no call, we got tripped up I think it was Donovan, in the offensive zone no call, that punk Crosby dived 1, Malone dived twice, There were a good 3 or 4 interference calls on your part, not to mention boarding calls out the wazoo.

Bottom line is I know the Senators aren't as good as the Penguins, but the Referees are giving the penguins this series. In game 2 Malone broke his stick on Neil's back, and what did he get? Nothing. The Donovan trip should have been called a minor penalty at least.

Pittsburgh was not disciplined they were "lucky" that they got such "lucky" treatment from the refs, God forbid the NHL sees it's poster-boy take a few penalties.

I don't care anymore I knew they didn't have much of a shot, but it still pisses me off at how horrible this team looks. Not to mention how bleak the future is.

I agree with you Neon, the signings were a bad move, though I think the guys who have no trade clauses would agree to waive them if they're ever asked.

Well at least Ottawa will get rid of one part of the problem. Bye bye Redden and good riddance.

Your lucky Brian Burke is going to give up on his team and go to yours I'd take him in a heart beat.

Hi, how are you?

Not so fast...albeit unlikely, Burke could be back in Vancouver if our owners throw a lot of money at him. (Which they may.)

Burke's wife still lives in Vancouver, and they don't like the long-distance relationship and this would fix that problem if he came back.

Not so fast...albeit unlikely, Burke could be back in Vancouver if our owners throw a lot of money at him. (Which they may.)

Burke's wife still lives in Vancouver, and they don't like the long-distance relationship and this would fix that problem if he came back.

I'm cool with that :D

Hi, how are you?

Letang took that extra jab at Gerber, when it was covered, so that counts as the first shot. Yes we reacted just as your guys did but yet you guys get the 5 on 3 okay, if you think the calls were equal then your nuts.

Extra shot? Like, with the stick to knock the puck in? If so he was playing to the whistle, and maybe past it. Something you do in the playoffs.

Like I said before, yes, alot of calls were not made on us that should have. But its not like the refs were pulling penalties out of nowhere to call on your guys. They just called yours and not ours. Is it right? Hell no. Its wrong, but its happened to the pens and every other team in the NHL, and unfortunately, like now, it happens at times that really screws teams over. As fans, its bittersweet when a big part of your win comes form luck given by the referee. Sure, we won, but then you get this little feeling of "should we have?". But, like I said, in this game, if every single thing that shouldve been called was, and everything that should not have been not been, Pittsburgh still probably wouldve won, because, and I say this as un-homeristic as I can (so, take it with a grain of salt), but overall, Ottawa is reminding me alot of us last year when you beat us. The team cant give any more than they are, and just does not believe. The fans in Ottawa were great for much of the game, but soon one could feel that they to did not believe. Pittsburgh is just the better team, the more determined team, and destined for far more than Ottawa is this year. Just like Ottawa was compared to us last year. Alfredsson isnt 100% (though, he did look clsoe to it), and even his return along with a return home isnt enough to spark anything for the sens. Since after game one ive been calling for a sweep, and I stick by that prediction more now than before. Theres a slim chance Ottawa may steal one from us, but even if that happened, a return home and a reality check given to the pensf from that loss will only make them win game 5 more convincingly.

Actually, winning the series in 5 may be better than a sweep. Theres confidence, then, theres carelessness. Im afraid a sweep will give the pens more of the latter than the former.

Anyways, good luck to Ottawa in the offseason. Just not too much, I've had enough of the pens facing yinz guys in the playoffs for a while. :P

oBIgzrL.png

Nonis was REALLY close to signing a talented Swede (Fabian Brunnstrom) to a 3-year entry level contract, but now that he got canned, Brunstrom may look elsewhere, because he was really close with Nonis on talks, and that's all gone now...

It'll really sting if this guy turns out to be an all-star caliber player and tears up the league, knowing that if we had kept Nonis just a bit longer (to sign him) he would've been ours.

The Canucks' pursuit of Swedish super-prospect Fabian Brunnstrom (left) hinges on the return of GM Dave Nonis and coach Alain Vigneault. TSN reported Sunday that Brunnstrom, a 23-year-old free agent, is balking at coming to Vancouver due to the uncertain status of Nonis and Vigneault, who have received no public backing from owner Francesco Aquilini.

The isles wouldn't mind having brunnstrom in a islander uniform. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Extra shot? Like, with the stick to knock the puck in? If so he was playing to the whistle, and maybe past it. Something you do in the playoffs.

I realize that but you said that Gerber went at Letang before he did anything. Nobody respects that when he has the puck covered in his body.

Umm, wrong. Two of our guys did go in the box. Letang (who Gerber went after before any of our guys did anything) and Staal. Also, like I jsut said, Gerber did go after Letang first, the rest of our guys reacted, and yours after that./quote]

I understand hockey just fine thank you, no need to talk down to me.

Really Maz I don't care about it that much anymore what's done is done.

Hi, how are you?

I was under the impression Calgary had the best shot at him at the moment. Although he'd look best in the blue and white... we have the $$ (barely) and can give him the ice time he is demanding. It also wouldn't hurt to pair him along side our super prospect Kluman.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I realize that but you said that Gerber went at Letang before he did anything. Nobody respects that when he has the puck covered in his body.

I understand hockey just fine thank you, no need to talk down to me.

Really Maz I don't care about it that much anymore what's done is done.

I wasnt trying to talk down, and not all of that post was directed specifically towards you. If you dont care that much anymore, thats fine with me. I really dont either.

oBIgzrL.png

Critical Game 3 tonight. I've heard a lot of Caps fans say that we went to Philly during the regular season and beat them up there. Maybe these are casual fans but do they understand the magntitude of the playoffs? Factor in Biron who was hot as of late and I'm really f****** nervous about this one. If Philly plays another staunch and tight defense and forces the Caps to make mistakes and show our nervousness, the series is over. Holding out hope thats not the case tonight, GO CAPS GO!

I said it last summer and no one believed me - Bryan Murray is going to ruin the team. I don't think he'll get canned... yet... but I'm sure some moves will be made... or attempted. Now it looks like our little annoying brothers to the north may be in the same boat as us, although with more talented players' contracts being unmovable. I have a feeling they will be better next season, although they will squeek in again and the wheels on the bandwaggon are going to keep falling off. If Toronto DOES bring in Brian Burke or another top-level GM, you'll see a lot more support for us, just like when Bryan Colangelo was brought in by the Raptors, they INSTANTLY got more legitimate and the fans began to return.

No Ottawa fans believed you. I knew from day one Murray was a joke, the guys a nervous wreck. He's never coached a cup winner, and never will.

I saw Crosby cross check Volchenkov 3 times 2 feet away from the referee and no call, we got tripped up I think it was Donovan, in the offensive zone no call, that punk Crosby dived 1, Malone dived twice, There were a good 3 or 4 interference calls on your part, not to mention boarding calls out the wazoo.

I'm going to let you in on a little something my friend. The rules are different for star players (Crosby/Ovechkin more so). They can do what they want and get less punishment for it. Just look at Pronger and Simon, anyone who says they aren't the same thing is clueless when it comes to hockey.

I was under the impression Calgary had the best shot at him at the moment. Although he'd look best in the blue and white... we have the $$ (barely) and can give him the ice time he is demanding. It also wouldn't hurt to pair him along side our super prospect Kulemin.

Fixed that buddy.

Oh did anyone see that lame ass opening here in Ottawa?

Dumbest thing I've ever seen. Worst thing is the guy wasn't even in the greatest shape. I was like wow.

But the opening matched the performance so what can you do?

untitled-6.jpg

Archived