2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blackhawks edged one out tonight to improve to 3-2. Lang deflected in a shot with 1.5 seconds left and down 1-0. Then an overtime goal gave them their third win, all comebacks.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And guess which team is now 4-0, all within the conference, all in regulation time and with two shutouts, after winning in Phoenix last night?

Jacques Lemaire has said he wants to start Josh Harding in goal for almost half the games this season, and while I can't blame him for that (last year as a rookie, he already looked like he could have been a #1 netminder for quite a few teams), he'd be certifiably insane to sit Nick Backstrom any time soon.

And as I mentioned above, this year's Wild have shown themselves capable of getting it done in regulation, unlike last year when they were the kings of OT and the shootout. That's a double-edged sword, because (1) it's not good for any team to rely on what amount to crapshoots to get their wins, and (2) even when you win those crapshoots you're still giving a point to the other team. Not only have the Wild gotten a perfect 8 of a possible 8 points so far, they've allowed their opponents an equally perfect zero points.

This may not last much longer. The Wild added some depth over the offseason but not as much as I would have liked, and they'll have their hands full trying to maintain their perfect mark tonight in Anaheim, where the defending champs look like they're finally getting over their jet lag from their London trip. But it's still the Wild's best-ever regular-season start, and that deserves a shout-out.

CCSLC signature.png

• 1 month later...

Though recent play says otherwise, a win for the pens against the Senators tonight is very likely, and if it does happen, the accomplishment of beating the #1 team in the NHL amid the recent bad play may give them the confidence and morale boost that can give them the heart and determination that theyve been lacking in and has, in turn, caused them to play much lower than to their actual potential.

Or they can lose terribly and take another huge hit to their confidence and add to the mounting frustaration, either way this game is huge for us and will influence the rest of the season.

oBIgzrL.png

Caps head coach Glen Hanlon fired:

Link to story

In other news, Glen Hanlon had been head coach of the Capitals since 2003. How did I miss that? He was one of my favorite Wings when I was a kid.

I think Hanlon came in for Brian Cassidy amidst that huge fire sale. That whole year was kind of a wash for the Caps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Though recent play says otherwise, a win for the pens against the Senators tonight is very likely, and if it does happen, the accomplishment of beating the #1 team in the NHL amid the recent bad play may give them the confidence and morale boost that can give them the heart and determination that theyve been lacking in and has, in turn, caused them to play much lower than to their actual potential.

Or they can lose terribly and take another huge hit to their confidence and add to the mounting frustaration, either way this game is huge for us and will influence the rest of the season.

The Leafs beat us too :P

Nice physical game so far.

Hi, how are you?

...and Hanlon is the next coach to get canned.

He's a great guy, and a great coach. He'll land on his feet.

...and how 'bout the Canucks? Undefeated in games vs. division. Big win IN Minnesota where Naslund showed why the team is giving him 6 million dollars this year. Hat trick. First since 2003. And of course, it was playing with the Sedin twins, or "Pinky and the Brain twins" as Boogard says.

Link to story

In other news, Glen Hanlon had been head coach of the Capitals since 2003. How did I miss that? He was one of my favorite Wings when I was a kid.

I think Hanlon came in for Brian Cassidy amidst that huge fire sale. That whole year was kind of a wash for the Caps.

This whole decade has been a wash for the Caps.

Link to story

This whole decade has been a wash for the Caps.

hes a good coach, but i dont think he can take this team to the next level. good luck Glennie.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

In the Sens/Pens Shootout the referee whistled before the puck hit gerbers blocker to go back into the net... So wouldn't it be a no goal, seeing as the Ref whistled the paly dead?

A horrible selection for the shootout IMO Alfie hadn't got the chance, and vermette and heatley rarely get a goal in the shootout.

Entertaining game though...

Hi, how are you?

OMGZZzZZzzz Sens lost 3 out of their last 4???/??///?

Wow, the world is going to implode!! Sell off the teamz!!!!!11!!!1

Sorry... had to take a shot... getting a little ancy here trying to get every detail about the battle of Przemysl in my head...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

In the Sens/Pens Shootout the referee whistled before the puck hit gerbers blocker to go back into the net... So wouldn't it be a no goal, seeing as the Ref whistled the paly dead?

All in all, you guys still got a point and are still #1 in the NHL. I dont remeber hearing a whistle or seeing it near the refs mouth on that shot, but i could be wrong. Either way it was a great game in which the pens finally showed the passion that theyve needed.

You guys got a point, and we got a helluva confidence builder. Its a win-win situation.

oBIgzrL.png

All in all, you guys still got a point and are still #1 in the NHL. I dont remeber hearing a whistle or seeing it near the refs mouth on that shot, but i could be wrong. Either way it was a great game in which the pens finally showed the passion that theyve needed.

You guys got a point, and we got a helluva confidence builder. Its a win-win situation.

No doubt about it. Just wondering if anyone knew the rules on it. Still was a great game...

Hi, how are you?

No doubt about it. Just wondering if anyone knew the rules on it. Still was a great game...

Former Penguin/current color commentator Bob Errey was absolutely sure it was a goal. I'd never heard someone so adamant about a call being overturned. It was extremely funny.

But yeah, by far the most entertaining game I've seen this year. Nice to see a healthy rivalry developing with two premier NHL franchises.

Archived