2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

Americans hate Russians, but any fan will tell you they'd take a Russian player on their team if he could help bringing back the cup.

I don't hate Anna Kournikova or Maria Sharapova, but if it takes putting them on my team to prove it, I'll just have to take one for the team......

You found Patrick Roy in your nose?

and when you pick your ass, you might find Sean Avery :P

hmmm ... do I have to wave that in front of Martin Brodeur?

Well, it's illegal to be facing the goalie while distracting him, so yes....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok first off, I NEVER said anything about it being the entire fan base(ha, I use that term VERY loosely). Go back and reread what I wrote, then speak. Obviously it was a small percentage of people, and theres idiots in every city. Second, how do you think we feel? People continue to bring up incidents that happened in the 60's and 80's. The point is, it doesnt get the national attention that it would get if it happened here. Its not okay for stuff like this to happen in ANY CITY. As soon as you realize that, and accept the fact that your team doesn't even have a legitimate fan base to begin with, maybe you'll make some intelligent comments.

first of all, no, its not acceptable to happen in any city, but the fact that youre pointing it out and calling it classless is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. and second of all, my team does have a legitimate fan base. sure, just like any city, we love our winners, period. but the fact is is that, this team has had a strong and loyal fanbase for the majority of its history, albeit smaller than most. Washington is not a true hockey town, i'll admit that. but theres a testament to the marketing strategy of the Caps, and the fact that this team made an amazing run towards the playoffs with THE most electrifying player in the NHL, and the people took notice. theres no doubt that this team had more than its fair share of bandwagoners, but its better to have 14k screaming bandwagoners wearing red than Flyers fans filling the seats, thats for sure.

So you admit Washington fans are classless, then? :P

Give them time, they are new at this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ok first off, I NEVER said anything about it being the entire fan base(ha, I use that term VERY loosely). Go back and reread what I wrote, then speak. Obviously it was a small percentage of people, and theres idiots in every city. Second, how do you think we feel? People continue to bring up incidents that happened in the 60's and 80's. The point is, it doesnt get the national attention that it would get if it happened here. Its not okay for stuff like this to happen in ANY CITY. As soon as you realize that, and accept the fact that your team doesn't even have a legitimate fan base to begin with, maybe you'll make some intelligent comments.

So nobody can bash Philly fans, but you can bash the fact that the Capitals may not have as large a following as the Flyers? That and the fact that you continue to bash Buffalo, that is a little hypocritical in my opinion.

DUDE, pay attention. This isnt about saying "Oh your fans have less class than our fans.....blah blah blah." The point I'm trying to drill home to you people is this: There are classless people in every city that do stupid stuff in every arena. The fact that it gets WAY too much attention in one city and not nearly enough in the other is what I'm trying to shed some light on. The fact that Philly fans get criticized for the same incidents that happened decades ago, all I wanted to do was balance the scale. THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON AN ENTIRE FAN BASE.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Okay, but if you're trying to make the point that Philly fans aren't all that bad, and then in the same post say

"your team doesn't have a legitimate fanbase to begin with"

can you see how, in fact, you're undermining your own argument? Of course there are classless Capitals fans, there are stupid and classless Penguins fans, and there are classless Habs and Flyers fans. Everyone knows that. If you want to try to improve the Philly fan image, can you see how you're going about it all wrong by blaming the refs for every loss and making fun of another team's fanbase?

I'm willing to believe there are some rational, passionate Flyers fans out there. But if you want everyone else to believe that, try being civil.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I'm pretty disgusted to see how they nominated the always-overrated Zdeno Chara for the Norris Trophy.

Someone please explain this to me....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm pretty disgusted to see how they nominated the always-overrated Zdeno Chara for the Norris Trophy.

Because he's a big physical defense-man who is a pretty big part on the point for there power-plays.

From what I've seen this year, he seems to play physical only when he wants to, and that's few and far between. Granted, he is pretty good on the power play, due to his size and hard shot, but then again, the only reason he is in the NHL is because of his size.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Was at the pens game last night. Despite the worrying from the first rangers goal to halfway through the 2nd, that had to be the single best pens game ive ever been to. (thats out of almost 70+, including the winter classic)

oBIgzrL.png

Lidstrom is going to win any way and they picked two others out of a hat

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Okay, but if you're trying to make the point that Philly fans aren't all that bad, and then in the same post say

"your team doesn't have a legitimate fanbase to begin with"

can you see how, in fact, you're undermining your own argument? Of course there are classless Capitals fans, there are stupid and classless Penguins fans, and there are classless Habs and Flyers fans. Everyone knows that. If you want to try to improve the Philly fan image, can you see how you're going about it all wrong by blaming the refs for every loss and making fun of another team's fanbase?

I'm willing to believe there are some rational, passionate Flyers fans out there. But if you want everyone else to believe that, try being civil.

I dont think Ive been out of line at all. I never blamed the refs. I think the officiating has been subpar in most games in the playoffs, for every team in every series. Games 7 against the Caps we got our breaks, Game 1 against the Habs we didnt. Thats hockey. And there is no real "making fun" so to speak. Nothing Ive said has really been my opinion, nor have I made any jokes. I have simply stated facts. I happen to be a very knowledgable HOCKEY fan, and player for the last 18 years, who also happens to be a Flyers fan. I know the game, and I also know what other knowledgable, classy fans are. I was at Game 1 down in Washington, sat next to a Caps fan, and happened to have a very enjoyable conversation with him about the game and both teams.

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Well, they couldve a more desirving guy out of it....say....Sergei Gonchar?

oBIgzrL.png

so the part about using the term "fan base" very loosely isnt an attack on Caps fans? wow. with friends like you who needs enemies? look we can all agree that all teams have fans that can get out of order at times. the point is when you point out small isolated incidents like 5 idiots throwing :censored: on the ice at the VC and get outraged, youre gonna get people saying "hey look at what you philly people have done before" thats facts because well, Philly has gotten a rap for things like this. whether its fair or not, thats what you get. now, i can truly say that Philly fans hold no candles to Italian soccer fans. now THEY get out of hand.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

so the part about using the term "fan base" very loosely isnt an attack on Caps fans? wow. with friends like you who needs enemies? look we can all agree that all teams have fans that can get out of order at times. the point is when you point out small isolated incidents like 5 idiots throwing :censored: on the ice at the VC and get outraged, youre gonna get people saying "hey look at what you philly people have done before" thats facts because well, Philly has gotten a rap for things like this. whether its fair or not, thats what you get. now, i can truly say that Philly fans hold no candles to Italian soccer fans. now THEY get out of hand.

Its not an attack. The numbers speak for themselves. Look at the attendance numbers over the past, well, however many years you would like to go back. Ive been to regular season games down there. The building was half empty. Please, I am all ears if you want to try and defend the lack of people showing up at Caps games until about a month ago.

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Well, they couldve a more desirving guy out of it....say....Sergei Gonchar?

Ugh...

:D

Hi, how are you?

yes i'd like to defend the honor of Caps fans who have shown up at pretty much every game for who knows how long. ive been a fan for 16 years but i can only get to a few games a year myself. if Flyers fans had to deal with the mediocrity that this Caps organization has had over, the well lets see, 33 years of it history, i doubt they'd be selling out every game. yeah the Caps attendance lagged even with Ovechkin, but lets face it, Caps fans are used to failing. im not in Canada, i never got to see any of the WJC's that Ovechkin was involved in, so basically, ive only heard through word of mouth that he was any good. so when the Caps picked him, it was a wait and see, i thought it would blow up in our face, just like most of our other highly regarded draft picks. i say this because i feel like (but cannot be sure of) that this is the mentality of Caps fans. when Ovechkin started, and was scoring goals in bunches but we still werent winning, we felt like maybe he'd take a hike like Scott Stevens did. when he signed that ginormous contract, attendance started picking up big time. its a mentality, of losing. its sad really, but thats how i really felt. now i dont have the means to go buying season tickets, or i would, actually, i wouldve a long time ago lol. so theres my defense of Caps fans not coming out before. you said you were all ears, but im sure you meant eyes. :D

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I've just never understood the idea of attacking a fanbase for being small. There are die-hards and fair-weathers in every city. Sure, the attendance isn't as consistent in Carolina as it is in Toronto, but so what? Taking a dig at a team (or a fan of a team) because their city isn't as passionate about the sport is just an easy and thoughtless attack, and silly. It's almost never used as a rational argument, and just serves as a way to start a fight.

Anyway philly97, I have no doubt you're as knowledgeable and passionate about hockey as the next guy. I'm just saying you could set a better example as to how you think Philly fans should be perceived by using a little tact. Whether or not you think it's right, your comments about Caps fans not giving a damn until a month ago is only validating the opinion of so many that sports fans from Philadelphia are jerks. I know they're not, but you're right - it is a perception, and if you want to change it the best way would probably be to admit that the Caps gave the Flyers one hell of a fight, maybe mention that it's really great to see that Alex Ovechkin has single-handedly invigorated a once dwindling and uninterested fanbase, and move on.

And if I attributed to the comment to the wrong person, I'm sorry, but someone on here said they thought it was funny that no one could beat the Flyers without help from the refs. I'm not going back to check, but that's probably one of the silliest things I've read in this thread since the playoffs started.

MOVING ON

Now that I've had time to breathe and let the events of last night's game sink in, I'm certain the Pens/Rags series is going to at least six games. It's got the makings of a classic. Two extremely talented teams with very different personalities. I haven't caught any of the other games yet.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I'm pretty dissapointed to see that no one is talking about the Red Wings absolutely dismantling Jose Theodore and the Colorado Avalanche after many people picked the Avs to win this series...

Oh, and Johan Franzen is a BEAST.

I'm pretty dissapointed to see that no one is talking about the Red Wings absolutely dismantling Jose Theodore and the Colorado Avalanche after many people picked the Avs to win this series...

Oh, and Johan Franzen is a BEAST.

You really never know when Theodore will bring his A-Game. The last 3 months don't garentee anything.

Archived