New England Revolution wins US Open Cup

DGivens87

My Revs finally won a major trophy! After going 0-1 in their previous Open Cup Finals (2001), and 0-3 in MLS Cup finals (2002, 2005, 2006), they've finally won something! WOOOO-HOOOO!!!! :D

What an entertaining match! Both teams went back and forth almost non-stop, the defenses were less than stellar, and it was non-stop attacking football. Well worth missing the final 6 innings of Game 1 of the Sox-Angels ALDS. B)

Some terrific goals in that game.

However, I'm going to insert my usual complaint here. The Revs do know that they don't necessarily have to wear their all-whites on the road, right, especially when playing a team with a lot of white in their shirts, like Dallas? Ugh, I don't know why, but that drove me crazy last night.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Some terrific goals in that game.

However, I'm going to insert my usual complaint here. The Revs do know that they don't necessarily have to wear their all-whites on the road, right, especially when playing a team with a lot of white in their shirts, like Dallas? Ugh, I don't know why, but that drove me crazy last night.

I'm with ya Mockba...I keep saying it, but next time i talk to their equipment manager, I'll ask why they don't wear the blue/white or white/blue combo. But I think now that they've won a trophy in the all-white, they're not gonna deviate from it anytime soon. Even Jay Heaps said the white jersey was good luck, since they're 0-4 (MLS Cup and US Open Cup) when wearing the blue in previous championship matches. I'll try and get to the bottom of it...I'll send an e-mail tonight to Brian Banfill (equipment manager).

Congrats to the 2007 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Champion New England Revolution!!!

Last night's win marks the tenth time that a team from New England has captured the U.S. Open Cup Championship... and the first time that such a feat has occurred in 60 years. Sweet redemption, Revs!!!

Of course, the cynic in me is already picturing the Kraft's using the trophy to prop open the door of an equipment closet in the Patriots' locker room.

No time for that, though. It's a longshot, but let's bring home "The Treble"!!!

Congrats to the 2007 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Champion New England Revolution!!!

Last night's win marks the tenth time that a team from New England has captured the U.S. Open Cup Championship... and the first time that such a feat has occurred in 60 years. Sweet redemption, Revs!!!

Of course, the cynic in me is already picturing the Kraft's using the trophy to prop open the door of an equipment closet in the Patriots' locker room.

No time for that, though. It's a longshot, but let's bring home "The Treble"!!!

Bri, let's see if they even put up some sort of recognition of the achievement (banner, sign, etc.) over at Gillette Stadium. That would be cool...highly unlikely, but cool.

The Treble? It's gonna be hard to catch DC for the Supporter's Shield - but we've already got the first piece of hardware if we do it ^_^

Cleanest picture I could find:

47418967_01168f6387_m.jpg

That looks like a guy bowling on the top. A may be wrong though.

Good for the Revs. I saw them at Gillette bout three weeks ago, they were really good.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Considering the plate below it says "National Soccer Hall of Fame," I'm gonna say no to the bowling guy.

As for the other Dewar Trophy you posted, DGivens, I believe that's an automobile trophy.

POTD 2013-08-22

Considering the plate below it says "National Soccer Hall of Fame," I'm gonna say no to the bowling guy.

I see that now. I just saw the way the guy on the top was standing it looked like he just bowled a bowling ball.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

My understanding is that this trophy...

47418967_01168f6387_m.jpg

... is the original Dewar Trophy (or Dewar Cup), donated by Sir Thomas Dewar in the hope of promoting soccer in the United States and furthering Anglo-American friendship. It was adopted as the U.S. Open Cup championship trophy prior to Brooklyn Field Club's 1914 victory in the competition. It was retired for the first time in 1979, refurbished by the USASA in 1997 and presented to the 1997 and 1998 U.S. Open Cup winners before being (not so) "permanently retired" to the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

After the retiring of the original Dewar Cup, teams winning the U.S. Open Cup were presented with a glass trophy, such as this one presented to the Columbus Crew in 2002...

LamarHunt-Crew2002.JPG

The Dewar Trophy had been brought out of "retirement" again in recent years, with it - or a copy of it - being presented to the Chicago Fire last year...

SannehTrophy372.jpg

Meanwhile, this trophy...

2007revssmall.gif

... was presented to the New England Revolution this week. Apparently, the Dewar Trophy has been "retired", yet again, with this being the new Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

Now if the competition would be worth winning, we would getting somewhere!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

It's always worth winning. Now, if you mean USSF giving a crap and actually attempting to get some sponsorship behind it and such? Yeah, that'd be good.

POTD 2013-08-22

It's always worth winning. Now, if you mean USSF giving a crap and actually attempting to get some sponsorship behind it and such? Yeah, that'd be good.

Not only that, how about the 12 (now 13-14!) MLS teams taking it seriously. Look at the teams fielded by the Superliga sides when they got knocked out. It seems to be our equivalent of the Carling Cup in terms of how MLS teams treat it, which goes back to how the USSF treats it. A bit of a shame for the world's second oldest domestic cup competition if you ask me.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Congrats on being the best team in a minor league division of a sport that no one cares about. By the way, if a team wins a championship trophy no one has ever heard of next to a forest were a tree falls, does anybody hear the 100?s of people cheer?

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

Congrats on being the best team in a minor league division of a sport that no one cares about. By the way, if a team wins a championship trophy no one has ever heard of next to a forest were a tree falls, does anybody hear the 100?s of people cheer?

Look, we don't need you to quote from your book...

dummies.PNG

Archived