New Southern Illinois Edwardsville logo

ClutchIsEverything

Sometimes you guys make me chuckle. You complain when universities release logos that look like the thousand other Bosack/Rickabaugh style graphics, but then, when a university puts its image on the line and releases something totally unique in the realm of college sports (FINALLY!) or professional athletics for that matter, you still complain. You hate seeing the same thing all the time, but hate something that doesn't fit the status quo of an athletic logo. No, it's not perfect, and no, it doesn't look like the prototypical 'sports logo' that we've seen for the last 8 years or so, but damn, give a small university some credit for using what little money and resources available to them to solicit something original, for finding a way to save money, not by hiring a crappy designer (usually the case), but by doubling the use of the academic wordmark, for integrating the two rather smartly given the challenge, and for making smart typeface choices to begin with in a world where Copperplate, City and Aachen rule all. All applause from me, if only for the originality of the rendering. That would look great on a helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes you guys make me chuckle. You complain when universities release logos that look like the thousand other Bosack/Rickabaugh style graphics, but then, when a university puts its image on the line and releases something totally unique in the realm of college sports (FINALLY!) or professional athletics for that matter, you still complain. You hate seeing the same thing all the time, but hate something that doesn't fit the status quo of an athletic logo. No, it's not perfect, and no, it doesn't look like the prototypical 'sports logo' that we've seen for the last 8 years or so, but damn, give a small university some credit for using what little money and resources available to them to solicit something original, for finding a way to save money, not by hiring a crappy designer (usually the case), but by doubling the use of the academic wordmark, for integrating the two rather smartly given the challenge, and for making smart typeface choices to begin with in a world where Copperplate, City and Aachen rule all. All applause from me, if only for the originality of the rendering. That would look great on a helmet.

I love it, don't get me wrong. It is rendered very well, its just that it looks like a beaver! That's my only complaint. Besides that, it looks very nice!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Although with this logo, they should be dropped to D-III as punishment.

Now that's funny.

As for the logo...the fangs/teeth not being white hurts the cougar rendering. And speaking of cougars, will they have a fan club of hot, 40-something women?

Cards.png

And speaking of cougars, will they have a fan club of hot, 40-something women?

If that is the case, a beaver logo may work equally well.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm in full agreement. I like the sleakness and uniqueness of the logo. And I like the wordmark.

But I don't like the logo, because I can't even make myself see a cougar in that. Can you really?

Oregon's football uniforms are different, too.

Doesn't make them good.

This isn't horrible. If it were a beaver or something.

It does NOT look like a cougar, no matter how much I squint. And in that, it fails.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Most modern logo packages can be pulled apart and their elements can stand alone where needed. The problem I find with the logo is that if you take away the SIUe from underneath the cougar it'll look like a buck-toothed monster. They will eventually want the cougar head by itself for uniforms or helmets, etc., so it'll come up sooner or later.

When told it was a cougar, I thought that it rocked. I usually hate anything new. It is abstract, but for Pete's sake were talking SIU-E here. What are they going to use, the local high school logo? This isn't the new Washington State logo, so SIU-E should be a little out there, why not? Moving to D-I seems a little unnecessary but if IUPU-FW is D-I, why not SIU-E. It does look like it was designed for a football helmet, and if they don't play football, what is the point?

Go Cubs...

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I didn't say it looked like a cougar. It doesn't. That much is obvious. I did say that it's not perfect. It's not. That's obvious as well. But it is different, and I think that's worth more than its flaws. I'd love to see something this good on an Oregon State helmet, for example. And for the record, I applaud Oregon and Nike for being different, even though I don't particularly like the way that they look. Being unique is too underrated in sports design. It's one thing to create something that is simple and striking, but it's another thing to be safe just so you don't offend anyone. There's way too much of that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived