New Southern Illinois Edwardsville logo

ClutchIsEverything

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's that most dangerous and elusive of species, the Cougarslug!

i was thinkin the same thing :D

Given that their last Chancellor resigned due to a plagiarism scandal and their current president is under investigation for same, it's not surprising they stole the slug motif for their new logo...

I didn't say it looked like a cougar. It doesn't. That much is obvious. I did say that it's not perfect. It's not. That's obvious as well. But it is different, and I think that's worth more than its flaws. I'd love to see something this good on an Oregon State helmet, for example. And for the record, I applaud Oregon and Nike for being different, even though I don't particularly like the way that they look. Being unique is too underrated in sports design. It's one thing to create something that is simple and striking, but it's another thing to be safe just so you don't offend anyone. There's way too much of that.

Gotta disagree.

Uniqueness is GREAT. It can really cap off a great design.

But if you're called the Cougars, and you're logo looks like a Beaver at best... well, it's not just NOT perfect. It's bad. Downright terrible really.

Yeah, I'm all for being unique. But you've gotta get the fundamentals down first. Fundamentals such as accurately portraying (or at least hinting at) the name of the team.

This logo fails in regards to that.

I'd love to see this thing on Oregon St. too. But you know why? Because they're the Beavers...

I'm guessing with the jump up to D1 they figured they should update their logo. It is.... interesting.

coug1.jpg

NEW

THAT DOESN'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE A COUGAR! :cursing:

Mountain_lion.jpg

Nope, nothing like it.

EDIT: By the way, I pulled that image from Wikipedia. The "Cougar" entry is currently locked because there is a MAJOR disagreement over whether or not "cougar" is always capitalized. I love the Internet.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived