Official MLB Playoff Thread

Nick 1733

It's not just the pitching, although both Schilling and Matsuzaka have to pitch more than 4.2 innings in a game. The team needs to relax. When they're relaxed, they hit better. I'd say Manny looked pretty damn relaxed after his homerun. Cocky, even.

When the Sox are loose and having fun, they play much better. They have the offense to counter the one big inning the Indians have been putting up each game.

If and when the offense gets going, the Sox will win. If the hitting remains the same, it's Indians in 6.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, 2004 has nothing to do with now. If it were the same teams and the exact same line-up, I could understand the connection. I am just amazed that it is assumed that Beckett will pitch a gem. Beckett can struggle too. I don't think the Tribe cares that he pitched on 3 days rest a few years ago. The fact is now, he is a bit "dinged". Something has to be up with his shoulder/back. If he didn't pitch last night, why was he removed after 80something pitches in Game 1? Of course if the Indians do get some runs... we'll hear ALL about Beckett's injury, then. "Oh, if he was healthy...!"

I have to think CC will adjust and make corrections. I can't see him struggling 3 starts in a row. Yes... he has struggled in some games. But, he has out-dueled some other pitchers such as Santana and Verlander. No one thinks Tribe hitters will adjust to Beckett?? The fact is simply the Sox are NOT hitting. Beckett could pitch 8 innings of 1-run ball... and lose. CC can pitch 9 innings and lose 1-0. It has happened THIS season. Back in late July. Remember they traded 1-0 victories. You can't assume "The Beckett Game" is a win, then anything can happen back in Boston. Trust me, I know... we assumed that CC and Carmona would pitch well.

I like CCs chances in a close-out game at Jacobs Field.

I'm sorry, 2004 has nothing to do with now. If it were the same teams and the exact same line-up, I could understand the connection. I am just amazed that it is assumed that Beckett will pitch a gem. Beckett can struggle too. I don't think the Tribe cares that he pitched on 3 days rest a few years ago. The fact is now, he is a bit "dinged". Something has to be up with his shoulder/back. If he didn't pitch last night, why was he removed after 80something pitches in Game 1? Of course if the Indians do get some runs... we'll hear ALL about Beckett's injury, then. "Oh, if he was healthy...!"

I have to think CC will adjust and make corrections. I can't see him struggling 3 starts in a row. Yes... he has struggled in some games. But, he has out-dueled some other pitchers such as Santana and Verlander. No one thinks Tribe hitters will adjust to Beckett?? The fact is simply the Sox are NOT hitting. Beckett could pitch 8 innings of 1-run ball... and lose. CC can pitch 9 innings and lose 1-0. It has happened THIS season. Back in late July. Remember they traded 1-0 victories. You can't assume "The Beckett Game" is a win, then anything can happen back in Boston. Trust me, I know... we assumed that CC and Carmona would pitch well.

I like CCs chances in a close-out game at Jacobs Field.

Problem with C.C. is he's only pitched more than 200 Innings once in his career (210 in 2002) and he threw 241.0 this season, plus his two playoff starts. Eventually you just get tired and when you do, you miss your spots, which has been C.C.'s problem thus far. And the one thing you can't do against Boston is miss your spots because they're too patient. C.C.'s going to need more than his normal rest to get right again, in my opinion.

As for Beckett, the guy doesn't have that much postseason experience and his post season resume already rivals any pitcher in his generation. Beckett was removed after 80 pitches in game one because the Red Sox had a huge lead and he was looking at about 25 minutes in between innings and since he is a bit 'dinged' -- which I imagine is hardly a big deal at this point -- it wasn't worth any risk.

I think Red Sox fans are pretty confident about game five for that reason. C.C.'s looked awful and Beckett's looked incredible.

IUe6Hvh.png

Weather update from Cleveland in case anyone is interested. Looks like the first wave of rain has gone through and the next batch of storms won't be a threat until after midnight. Currently they are calling for dry conditions and 70 at game time.

I should add that this is Ohio so that forecast could change drastically in the time it took me to type this post. Don't be surprised if there is 6 inches of snow on the ground by 7pm.

GO TRIBE!

BB52Big.jpg

I just read over on espn.com that Josh Beckett's ex-girlfriend Danielle Peck is singing the National Anthem before tonight's game 5. The same game 5 that Beckett will start. That's friggin' awesome. One can only hope it ended badly and they have an inset of a closeup of Beckett's mug during the whole thing.

I just read over on espn.com that Josh Beckett's ex-girlfriend Danielle Peck is singing the National Anthem before tonight's game 5. The same game 5 that Beckett will start. That's friggin' awesome. One can only hope it ended badly and they have an inset of a closeup of Beckett's mug during the whole thing.

IndiansLogo.jpg

"By any means necessary!"

BB52Big.jpg

Sabathia's looked awful so far, but the Red Sox lineup, Crisp and Lugo in particular, have bailed him out. Beckett's rolling, that run was more a product of a great pitch that was hit poorly and fell in and became a double. Sox can't get the big hit... that's the difference in this series.

As for Manny's RBI single... that ball looked like it cleared the wall, but then I can't figure out how it would bounce back into play if it did, so the correct call was made, in my opinion. The way a ball bounces is usually the best way to tell if a ball's a HR or not.

Another interesting note is that Indians fans boo absolutely everything.

edit: That looked like Lofton was out-of-line in the almost fight. All Beckett did was yell "out", it appears.

IUe6Hvh.png

Man... Here we go again. CC looked uneasy...unsettled. Too many pitches. Just too many struggles and jams for 3 straight outings. Beckett is awesome tonight. Mixing his pitches, keeping guys off balance. Flat out impressive!!

(At this Point) 4-1 is WAY closer than the game should be. It could be 7-1 or 8-1. Homerism aside, the ball Manny hit was not a HR. The ball hit the yellow line of padding, which is not a HR. It bounced back in to play. It is a flat roof past the wall (a tunnel to walk from bull-pen to bull-pen). If it was a HR... it would have hit the roof then bounced right in to the crowd. Sort of like Lofton's HR on Monday.

Three more innings... you never know. But, YUCK!!! So far.

By the way: Yeah... Lofton looks like a punk-a$$ when he drops the bat like that. It was CLEARLY a strike.

Man... Here we go again. CC looked uneasy...unsettled. Too many pitches. Just too many struggles and jams for 3 straight outings. Beckett is awesome tonight. Mixing his pitches, keeping guys off balance. Flat out impressive!!

(At this Point) 4-1 is WAY closer than the game should be. It could be 7-1 or 8-1. Homerism aside, the ball Manny hit was not a HR. The ball hit the yellow line of padding, which is not a HR. It bounced back in to play. It is a flat roof past the wall (a tunnel to walk from bull-pen to bull-pen). If it was a HR... it would have hit the roof then bounced right in to the crowd. Sort of like Lofton's HR on Monday.

Three more innings... you never know. But, YUCK!!! So far.

By the way: Yeah... Lofton looks like a punk-a$$ when he drops the bat like that. It was CLEARLY a strike.

I agree on all points. It LOOKED like it cleared the yellow, but it obviously didn't if it bounced back into play. I agree about Lofton, that's why I said I thought he was out of line there, that pitch was clearly a strike.

The Red Sox have to start thinking about getting Beckett out of the game and having him pitch in a possible game seven, don't they? This guy is absolutely dominant in the postseason. He's great in the regular season... but he finds a whole new level come October.

By the way, is it just me or did it look like Lofton almost dropped that basket catch he made?

IUe6Hvh.png

By the way, is it just me or did it look like Lofton almost dropped that basket catch he made?

Nope. He almost dropped it. Looks like we're heading back to Boston. Told you naysayer Red Sox fans this thing wasn't anywhere near over.

BB52Big.jpg

Nope. He almost dropped it. Looks like we're heading back to Boston. Told you naysayer Red Sox fans this thing wasn't anywhere near over.

Hahahaha... today it's a powerful Beckett... tomorrow Schilling and his doubts. Unless the Red Sox improve the pitching from tomorrow, I still think that the Tribe will be in the World Series.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Not sure if you're lumping me in the group of naysayers but my tone was more or less "they can do it, but I don't like the chances" -- and obviously, I picked the Red Sox to win tonights game. My belief was also more or less take a game in Cleveland and anything can happen in Boston. They need to get Beckett out of the game, go Okajima and then Papelbon, and throw Beckett in game seven.. I have to admit, while I was kind of pessimistic about having Schill on the mound in game six, if the bats can stay awake against Carmona, I like Schilling's chances in a game they need to have. And if they opted to go with Beckett 3 days rest against Westbrook in game 7, the advantage probably goes to Beckett, regardless of what Westbrook did in game 3.

edit: Get him out of the :censored: ing game.

IUe6Hvh.png

Not sure if you're lumping me in the group of naysayers but my tone was more or less "they can do it, but I don't like the chances" -- and obviously, I picked the Red Sox to win tonights game. My belief was also more or less take a game in Cleveland and anything can happen in Boston. They need to get Beckett out of the game, go Okajima and then Papelbon, and throw Beckett in game seven.. I have to admit, while I was kind of pessimistic about having Schill on the mound in game six, if the bats can stay awake against Carmona, I like Schilling's chances in a game they need to have. And if they opted to go with Beckett 3 days rest against Westbrook in game 7, the advantage probably goes to Beckett, regardless of what Westbrook did in game 3.

No I was just replying to your post and saving time by adding the naysayer part. Momentum is certainly back with the Red Sox. The Indians looked like they just realized where they were and went "Holy :censored:." If I were a Red Sox fan I'd be feeling pretty good right about now. It ain't over by any means but Boston has serve at this point.

BB52Big.jpg

Beckett would only be on 2 days rest for a possible Game 7. He would probably only could be used for an inning or 2. If it goes to game 7 it's going to be Dice-K.

No I was just replying to your post and saving time by adding the naysayer part. Momentum is certainly back with the Red Sox. The Indians looked like they just realized where they were and went "Holy :censored:." If I were a Red Sox fan I'd be feeling pretty good right about now. It ain't over by any means but Boston has serve at this point.

No, I gotcha... you were replying to the Lofton part.. I was just curious. I'd like to think I've remained as optimistic as I could without feeling like a homer, ya know? I really do like Boston's chances now, but that doesn't mean I'd dislike Cleveland's if I were an Indians fan. I think Francona's making a huge mistake if he's not thinking about pitching Beckett on short rest in game seven.

IUe6Hvh.png

Beckett would only be on 2 days rest for a possible Game 7. He would probably only could be used for an inning or 2. If it goes to game 7 it's going to be Dice-K.

Ahhh, you're right... I'm an idiot. It'd be a normal throwing day though, right? So he'd atleast be able to come out of the pen if absolutely needed. It may have been an option if they'd saved him a bit. At the very least it'd be "pull Beckett early and pray for rain".

IUe6Hvh.png

Ahhh, you're right... I'm an idiot. It'd be a normal throwing day though, right? So he'd atleast be able to come out of the pen if absolutely needed. It may have been an option if they'd saved him a bit. At the very least it'd be "pull Beckett early and pray for rain".

I believe 2 days is a normal pitchers throw day. They obviously will put him in the pen and use him in a Mike Mussina 2003 ALCS role and bring him in if Dice falters or if the game goes extras.

By the way, Beckett's response to whether or not he was bothered by the Indians having his ex-girlfriend sing the National Anthem at the game was something along the lines of them still being friends and "thank you for flying my friend to the game so she could watch it for free"

IUe6Hvh.png

By the way, Beckett's response to whether or not he was bothered by the Indians having his ex-girlfriend sing the National Anthem at the game was something along the lines of them still being friends and "thank you for flying my friend to the game so she could watch it for free"

Better response than one a friend of mine laid on his ex-girlfriend's husband: "I had her first."

The husband, also a friend, had a perfect retort however. "That may be, but I get her nightly."

nav-logo.png

Archived