Favorite NFL 75th Anniversary Throwback?

Old School Fool

Here's a site that has a bunch of 1994 Throwback photos so you can actually see them in action.

As a uniform geek, I really enjoyed that year because it was fun to see all the different throwback sets. However, it was also maddening to see all the errors. I've never understood why it's so difficult to do a little research and try to accurately replicate the older style. And teams such as the Cowboys, Bills and Jets that didn't even bother to use the right color helmets really drove me crazy.

Here are my favorites:

1. Broncos, because I'm a homer (D'OH!) and despite the fact they didn't use the original sans-serif font

2. Oilers, because I'm an old-time AFL fan

3. Chargers, ditto

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And teams such as the Cowboys, Bills and Jets that didn't even bother to use the right color helmets really drove me crazy.

I think that was a safety issue. They didn't break in two sets of helmets, so they just removed/changed the decals on the current helmets. That's why the Packers wore a green facemask with their blue and gold throwback uniforms.

Nowadays, they take the throwback helmets to training camp and the players break them in along with the regular ones.

Broncos

Jets

Falcons

Oilers

no order really they where all my faves, just wished i could of seen a home and away sets for all teams, cause i think if we did the Buffalo one(among others) would of looked nice as a home uni.

And teams such as the Cowboys, Bills and Jets that didn't even bother to use the right color helmets really drove me crazy.

I think that was a safety issue. They didn't break in two sets of helmets, so they just removed/changed the decals on the current helmets. That's why the Packers wore a green facemask with their blue and gold throwback uniforms.

Nowadays, they take the throwback helmets to training camp and the players break them in along with the regular ones.

That makes sense, but it seems to me that if most of the other teams figured out how to make it happen, then they could have as well.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Here's a site that has a bunch of 1994 Throwback photos so you can actually see them in action.

That was a great site when it was still up and running.... :cry:

BBV, you're right - the font used for the '94 Pats throwbacks wasn't the number font (my favorite number font in sports) used back in 1965, the year they "threwback" to. Probably the only discrepency, though, but a beautiful uni set nonetheless.

The problem with the Chargers is that they often wear something similar to that. I think they added the light blue in their new set and changed to white helmets just to show off that general look more frequently. Even at that, they often wore the throwbacks the years prior to the change.

So it's lost its magic, at least for me to see it now.

Faves:

1. Saints

2. Chargers

3. Patriots

4. Rams

5. Seahawks

Ditto the silver numbers on the Raiders' white, and a vote for having gold numbers on the Saints' white. They need a thicker black outline though for visibility.

raider94.jpg

sf-v-no.jpg

no-sf.jpg

A fine tribute to the '76 Bucs...the pic used to showcase the '94 throwbacks is their QB getting sacked. :D

tb-v-no.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived