Favorite NFL 75th Anniversary Throwback?

Old School Fool

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only are most of these fantastic (historic inaccuracies aside)...but how many are actually better than what that particular franchise puts on the field on a weekly basis now??

Arizona, Detroit, Atlanta, Minnesota, Buffalo, SD, Raiders.....

That said, My faves are:

Denver

GB

Chi

New England

SF

Dallas

jongarlanduj6.jpg

The Chargers should be wearing the exact 94 throwbacks now.

Amen. The more I look at this halfway measure, the more I agree with you.

I agree. Their current unis are terrible. I loved the previous set, and I loved the throwbacks even more. The thing is, lightning bolts on a jersey are absurd. Think about it. But you know what? The Chargers made it work, and their jerseys stayed classy because of the block font. They took the bolts, inexplicably turned the panels sideways making commas on their shoulders, and added an awful font. The bolts on the sleeves were still ok before because the block font kept it respectable, much like the old Bengals jerseys with the tiger stripes in the same places. The current Chargers unis have a crappy stylized font, and because of it, they look like an XFL or AFL2 team. Thow in the indecision and the cluster:censored: of colors, the "yellow and blue makes green" effect on the bolts and numbers, and the entire set blows. Worst of all, this didn't give the fanbase the light blue jerseys that it wanted (at least full time). They rode the fence and produced crap.

As for my favorite 94 throwbacks:

Bears, Rams, Saints, Broncos, Raiders road, Falcons, and Skins.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite... :P

tbhardy.jpg

Agreed wholeheartedly. :D

(Intersting quirk about these sets: I believe this may have been the only set in the NFL at the time to have different collar and sleeve ribbing colors. Notive the collar ribbing is orange; the sleeves red.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My favorite... :P

tbhardy.jpg

Agreed wholeheartedly. :D

(Intersting quirk about these sets: I believe this may have been the only set in the NFL at the time to have different collar and sleeve ribbing colors. Notive the collar ribbing is orange; the sleeves red.)

I believe that's just the way Hardy has his jersey cut and how it shows up in this photo. The Bucs set had either screen-printed red/orange/red stripes or red/orange/red cuffs. Hardy has the sleeve cut down so the cuff is pretty small, but you can see the red/orange/red on the right sleeve.

Also Tampa Bay was one of the teams who hadn't really changed their uniforms much; like Kansas City, Cleveland and Indianapolis they just wore their regular uniforms and simply didn't wear their orange pants with the white jerseys for the "throwback" games. If the Bucs were throwing back, they wouldn't have had the orange collar on the jersey, it would have been white since the orange collar didn't come about until around 1991 or so. I can't remember if they said they were going for 1976 (1st season) or 1979 (first playoff); if they were going for 1976 they should have also used the light orange numbers with red trim.

sanders_barry_112602.jpg

These uniforms should make the NFL rethink the 'half the sock must be white' rule.

I've got one of the Harrington throwbacks I picked up a few years ago. So simple, yet perfect.

All the Lions need to do is adopt the throwbacks full time and put it the "Leapin' Lion" on the side of the helmet with no stripes.

sanders_barry_112602.jpg

These uniforms should make the NFL rethink the 'half the sock must be white' rule.

I've got one of the Harrington throwbacks I picked up a few years ago. So simple, yet perfect.

All the Lions need to do is adopt the throwbacks full time and put it the "Leapin' Lion" on the side of the helmet with no stripes.

The only issue I'd see with the Lions doing that is that, in fact, save for the blue, they would essentially be the Oakland Raiders.

(But then...being that that is Matt Millen's wet dream, anyway... <_< )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

sanders_barry_112602.jpg

Agree 100% That dark blue is so much "tougher" than "Honolulu Blue". I always pictured the Lions wearing grass skirts for some reason.

nhlvdetroit2kb7.pngnhlvdetroit1dx1.png

Archived