Favorite NFL 75th Anniversary Throwback?

Old School Fool

sanders_barry_112602.jpg

These uniforms should make the NFL rethink the 'half the sock must be white' rule.

Those uniforms are lovely. The Lions need to go to some sort of modified version of that.

I think they did wear one the last Thanksgiving Throwback year? Black facemask?

It's in Madden.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even now, I would gladly see the Packers adopt them full-time. I know that makes me something of an iconoclast among Packer fans

Since I first read this, two Packers fans have told me the same thing without provocation. Makes me think that if speaking against the current unis wasn't considered blasphemy in our "community" that there might actually be something of a push to go back to the Lambeau-era unis. Especially since, given the limitations of striped jerseys nowadays, the blue & gold ones would be easier on the manufacturers.

My favorite Packers unis are the '67 thanksgiving throwbacks they wore in '03. But unless it means going back to those, I'd have to join you in pulling for a return to the Lambeau jerseys.

Even now, I would gladly see the Packers adopt them full-time. I know that makes me something of an iconoclast among Packer fans

Since I first read this, two Packers fans have told me the same thing without provocation. Makes me think that if speaking against the current unis wasn't considered blasphemy in our "community" that there might actually be something of a push to go back to the Lambeau-era unis. Especially since, given the limitations of striped jerseys nowadays, the blue & gold ones would be easier on the manufacturers.

My favorite Packers unis are the '67 thanksgiving throwbacks they wore in '03. But unless it means going back to those, I'd have to join you in pulling for a return to the Lambeau jerseys.

No. There is too much blue in sports anyway, as has been argued numerous times on this site. The '36 design may look OK for hockey, but not for football. And as that game showed, player names on gold shoulders are practically illegible.

Also, may I point out:

BLUE CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1944

GREEN CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1936, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996

WHITE CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1939

The '67 throwbacks would be difficult to do given the current sleeveless look. No way can you fit numbers and those big stripes on sleeves these days. It's another example of what I've said before here, that vintage uniform designs don't necessarily work with current uniform trends (i.e. disappearing football sleeves, baggy basketball shorts, etc.).

However, I wouldn't mind the Packers' going back to this number font:

kblock.gif

Packers-2.png

Good post.

Just a couple thoughts:

The '36 design may look OK for hockey, but not for football. And as that game showed, player names on gold shoulders are practically illegible.

I'll agree with you on the 1936 design, with the raglan sleeves - don't think that one would work at all over pads. But the 1940s look, the classic Lambeau-era uniform, that would work very well with modern construction.

I had no trouble reading the blue names on gold shoulders. "Practically illegible"? I cannot agree.

However, I wouldn't mind the Packers' going back to this number font:

kblock.gif

I too would like to see them use a slightly different number font (as what might be the apex of my personal uniform geekiness, I've always hated the look of Favre's jerseys - the "4" is too skinny all on its own). I'd like to see something more like this than the over-serifed early 1960s look:

herberhutson-file.jpg

Clean, classic. Extremely legible, and yet can be different enough to stake out their own visual territory.

The '67 throwbacks would be difficult to do given the current sleeveless look. No way can you fit numbers and those big stripes on sleeves these days. It's another example of what I've said before here, that vintage uniform designs don't necessarily work with current uniform trends (i.e. disappearing football sleeves, baggy basketball shorts, etc.).

That's exactly why I would accept a return to the 1937-1949 uniforms. The shoulder yoke works so much better than sleeve stripes on the modern uniform cut. There's nothing about it that doesn't work. I can't say that about the modern Packer uniforms - they're one of those vintage uniform designs that you mention as an awkward fit. It's long since time to ditch the disappearing sleeve stripes altogether (not to mention the Forrest Gregg neck stripes, which only clutter Lombardi's design).

I still want them to adopt Ron Wolf's overhaul. Beautiful, classic, pays homage to several great eras in the team's history. Just in time for Brett's last year, let him inauguarate them in style. :D

I still want them to adopt Ron Wolf's overhaul. Beautiful, classic, pays homage to several great eras in the team's history. Just in time for Brett's last year, let him inauguarate them in style.

That, for those who haven't seen this, would be:

1994proposed.gif

As long as the gold was Notre Dame gold (as opposed to Vegas gold, which is lighter and browner), I'd be for this too. Imagine, however, how many cans of spray paint you'd need to change everything at Lambeau Field to the right gold ...

Packers-2.png

Hey, now. No hotlinking from my site. :P

Ron Wolf's proposed update is here (scroll down to 1993)

We don't know the actual colors, but we do know from contemporaneous that it was distinct from the metallic gold used by the 49ers and Saints (this was when the Rams were still using athletic gold). Not a whole lotta help. He has since said that it was similar to the "You Remember that Whole Millennium Thing? Gold" or "Y2K Gold" or whatever it is the Rams call the color they are now using.

For the purposes of my re-creation, I have extrapolated that into a rich Notre Dameish gold, which works with the Packers' history, being Curly's inspiration for the team colors and all that....

The only change I would make is a single green stripe on the helmets and down the side of the pants. Other than that, I think it's just about perfect.

I'd be for this too. Imagine, however, how many cans of spray paint you'd need to change everything at Lambeau Field to the right gold ...

Actually, it would be really easy. The recent renovations eliminated a lot of the athletic gold in favor of a color closer to Wolf's (some pics here).

Perhaps it is unrelated, but the Packers did adopt something like his colors for Lambeau Field itself:

desktop16_small.gif

which means that had Wolf not chickened out at the last moment, Packer merchandise would look more like this:

6401022010_24_13_2.jpg6401219008_90_13_2.jpg

than this:

0302005353_14_13_2.jpg0302005352_27_13_2.jpg

Ah, yes, Notre Dame, alma mater of 52 Packers, from B (Norm Barry, back, 1921) to W (Harry Wunsch, guard, 1934), including the great Paul Hornung and the current Ryan Grant and Carlyle Holiday. Their style guide says their gold is PMS 872. Interestingly, the color tool I have says that the Rams', Saints' and 49ers gold (all courtesy of PANTONE, of course) is all the same color (which doesn't seem to be PMS 872).

Packers-2.png

I thought there would be more love for the Vikings white throwback (or did they make the unforgivable mistake of wearing purple pants? I don't recal).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I thought there would be more love for the Vikings white throwback (or did they make the unforgivable mistake of wearing purple pants? I don't recal).

No, the pants were white. And they did look good. I can't find a photo, but it was basically their home unis (thus minus the shoulder stripe) in white.

Packers-2.png

sanders_barry_112602.jpg

These uniforms should make the NFL rethink the 'half the sock must be white' rule.

I've got one of the Harrington throwbacks I picked up a few years ago. So simple, yet perfect.

All the Lions need to do is adopt the throwbacks full time and put it the "Leapin' Lion" on the side of the helmet with no stripes.

The only issue I'd see with the Lions doing that is that, in fact, save for the blue, they would essentially be the Oakland Raiders.

(But then...being that that is Matt Millen's wet dream, anyway... <_< )

Man your old signature still makes me laugh " it was me... Bucco B"

NOLAbanner.jpg

sanders_barry_112602.jpg

Those uniforms are lovely. The Lions need to go to some sort of modified version of that.

You know, I've heard a lot of people wax nostalgic for those. I totally disagree. The helmets and pants look like they've been stripped to primer and the numerals appear to be applied w/ duct tape. << thumbs down >>

long as everybody's puttin out their top fives, here's mine:

1-Bears

(tie)2-Saints and Steelers

3-Packers

4-Rams

5-Broncos

honorable mention-Raiders, Patriots, Lions, Giants, Vikings, Redskins, Eagles

I'll be honest on the Skins, I'd love to see em modify their 94 TBs somewhat and adopt em as the main set. all it needs is a helmet that actually matches.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived