NLL to cancel season?

BB61

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but seeing as though it affects a few of us who are lacrosse fans (and/or in fantasy league thereof), it's worth noting that the National Lacrosse League had threatened to cancel the 2008 season if a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is not reached by midnight tonight. The watch for this had been on for a few weeks, and both sides broke off talks during the weekend.

Keep in mind, the season does not start until after Christmas. Why so early? The league does not want to be dealing with this a week before the season, apparently, which, while a noble thought, may be a bluff. But we'll find out tonight, won't we?

Source: NLL.com

philly.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that a fringe sport such as lacrosse has a player's union and a CBA underscores just how off their rocker they are. I mean come on... how much can a pro lacrosse player in the U.S. make? $100K or so?

Not even that, I'd venture to guess. I covered the Calgary Roughnecks fairly extensively when I was in college, and IIRC, most of these guys have full-time jobs in other parts of the country (I believe most of the Calgary players were based either in the lower mainland of B.C. or in Ontario) and fly in on the weekends to play.

Personally, I think it may do much, much more harm than good. While still in "minor league" status, they've done very well over the last few seasons in getting stable teams in stable markets.

philly.png

The fact that a fringe sport such as lacrosse has a player's union and a CBA underscores just how off their rocker they are. I mean come on... how much can a pro lacrosse player in the U.S. make? $100K or so?

Is that any more strange than your run-of-the-mill machinist, for example, being part of a union and that union having a CBA?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I believe most "fringe" leagues players also have normal jobs. CFL, NLL, AFL.

I bet some of you may know this name. Dave Hack, he is a former OL for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and is a Substitute/Gym Teacher and Track Coach at my school. Even though he is retired from the CFL now he still taught during the offseason of his playing years.

As for the NLL, I haven't ever been to a game, but I enjoy keeping up on the Bandits, and watching when on TV. S I guess I won't really miss the season if it is indeed canceled.

saBS.png

Is that any more strange than your run-of-the-mill machinist, for example, being part of a union and that union having a CBA?

Yeah, Mock, it is. A machinist's union for instance won't organize unless and until the company for which the machinists work has at least some type of financial stability, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

There's no way in hell the NLL makes money, and its not exactly like players in any pro sport are mistreated in comparison to the general population, so I don't see where collective bargaining would be all that beneficial, to the players beyond having certain minimum working conditions (what can they bargain for really, beyond insurance coverage and such? A fresh roll of tape for each game?), or to the owners who'd have to cover the additional expenses despite already losing money.

nav-logo.png

I Remember back in the days when it was called the MILL in the early 90s, I was watching a game and the commentator remarked about how most of the players made no more than $30-$35K a season, if that..those were for the star players. Most played for the love of the game...and held normal 9-5 jobs during the work week. Team practices were usually before or after normal work hours, etc.

That was 1992 I think...so with inflation and the league having significantly more teams now than it did then...maybe the players make $50K/season?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

And so much for that league. The NHL is barely breathing after killing a season, what makes a fringe league like the NLL think it can survive such a move?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What's worse is that many NHL teams came onto the idea of indoor lacrosse to make up for the loss of hockey: San Jose, Phoenix, Minnesota and I think Anaheim to name a few teams that added NLL. Stealth did ok out here, but was never ahead of the game except it's first two seasons.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

And so much for that league. The NHL is barely breathing after killing a season, what makes a fringe league like the NLL think it can survive such a move?

Well, the NHL was barely breathing before killing that season. And although the NLL has been growing, its profile still makes the NHL look like a top-tier sport in comparison.

As a wise man once sang, "When you ain't got nothin', you've got nothin' to lose."

CCSLC signature.png

The cancellation of the 2008 could be bad for the NLL, as it could also mean the death of the NLL.

What's also bad? The Boston Blazers/New York Titans game, scheduled for March 22 in Hartford, is like every other NLL game scheduled for the 2008 season..... ERASED!!!

To make matters worse, they're not going to use any replacement players. WHY? Apparently they never heard of the 1987 NFL Players strike, when replacement players were used for the first 3 weeks of the NFL season.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Well, the NHL was barely breathing before killing that season. And although the NLL has been growing, its profile still makes the NHL look like a top-tier sport in comparison.

As a wise man once sang, "When you ain't got nothin', you've got nothin' to lose."

How does it feel?

The cancellation of the 2008 could be bad for the NLL, as it could also mean the death of the NLL.

What's also bad? The Boston Blazers/New York Titans game, scheduled for March 22 in Hartford, is like every other NLL game scheduled for the 2008 season..... ERASED!!!

To make matters worse, they're not going to use any replacement players. WHY? Apparently they never heard of the 1987 NFL Players strike, when replacement players were used for the first 3 weeks of the NFL season.

Here's the thing - if they did use replacements, would very many people notice? Or care?

nav-logo.png

Archived