USC-UCLA both in dark jerseys this year?

hecticbro

This is another one of the many occasions where I think that the NCAA is too stringent about rules. I say this, as long as you can distinguish two teams from each other, then do it. I still think it's stupid that they won't allow USC and UCLA to wear their homes without someone getting penalized, yet they allow Wisconsin to wear red and Illinois to wear orange during a basketball game.

I thought it was ridiculous that they allowed Notre Dame and Georgia Tech to wear the uniforms they had on against each other last year. I had times differentiating the two sides at times.

2006-09-02-irish.jpg

That picture doesn't really illustrate my point as well I'd like, but with the reflection from the lights that pale gold looked close to white, and the fact that the helmets are both gold and the numbers are all navy didn't help.

USC and UCLA used to face each other in their home jerseys often:

77404548_o.jpg

The last time was 1981, I think.

Also, Bama and the Vols played in solid home jerseys often back in the 1960s and 70s as well.

Yes, up until 1981 the Vols and Bama wore solid colors as well. The NCAA established the rules in the late 70's, but thye were not enforced in traditional rivalries until after 1981.

They rules were not, as the popular belief says, a result of black and white television, as they instituted far after the widespread use of color TV.

I thought it was ridiculous that they allowed Notre Dame and Georgia Tech to wear the uniforms they had on against each other last year. I had times differentiating the two sides at times.

2006-09-02-irish.jpg

That picture doesn't really illustrate my point as well I'd like, but with the reflection from the lights that pale gold looked close to white, and the fact that the helmets are both gold and the numbers are all navy didn't help.

Perfect example of a stupid NCAA rule. Soccer has it right - teams should have a first choice, second choice, third choice. As long as the referees approve it, the teams should be able to wear what colors they want.

Archived