San Diego Chargers "Concept"

McCall

After this past weekend, when the Chargers busted out the powder blue alternates for the first time this season, all seemed right in the astetic world of the NFL. But of course, also brought to light... again... was the things that were actually "wrong" with the uniforms, so to speak. Well I took the liberty of making the necessary changes (based on what everybody suggested). Powder blue is now the main color for the home and away, and I relegated the navy jersey to alternate status. I also added the number back to the helmet to kind of help tie into the throwback, who's popularity, so inspired the current model.

Other changes include, flipping the "block and bolt" on the shoulders so that the bolt's not upside down anymore. I also removed the striping from the white pants so, consistently throughout the entire set, the bolt is always on a white background. As for the light blue pants, I made the white stripe not so wide as it currently is. For the helmet, I left the facemask navy, because, if you look at the photos from Sunday's game, it still went great with the powder blues. And a light blue facemask just looked kinda odd, and a gray facemask, although looked alright, was a little TOO retro for a more modern set. I also made the number navy because light blue wouldn't show up as much, and it was navy on the throwbacks and went perfectly fine with the light blue uniforms, which actually featured less navy than the current ones. So I figured it be fine this way.

I didn't have much time to really make sure every little detail was right. I was doing this on a laptop from work and actually had other work I needed to do. So if it's something minor like the outlines on the bolts look a little thin (I actually meant for them to be a bit thicker) or something that doesn't really ruin the whole concept, please don't dwell on it. Hypothetically, if it were actually turned into a real set, those problems would easily be fixed. I was just constrained on time and kind of had to let the little things pass and focus more on things that really have a major effect on the whole thing.

Anyway, here it is.

Main Set:

Chargers-Uniform-Set.png

And just for the heck of it, a set with the pants reversed so you can see what each combo looks like (I actually thing the all-white set wouldn't be too bad to actually be used):

Chargers-Uni-Set-2.png

I also did these updates with Navy as the primary, like it actually is. If anybody really wants to see those, I can have them posted probably tomorrow morning.

Thanks and let the C&C fly.

hmm..... I am not sure about these, though I like where you are going. The navy blue numbers and facemask on the helmet does not look good with the rest of the uniform, except the alternate. Maybe change the numbers to powder blue, then I think the navy facemask can stay. Is it me, or are the pants and jersey bolts missing the navy outline? If so, and the helmet does have it, you need to add it to the jersey and the pants too. The away just doesn't look like it would work on the field, but I can't think of a solution for that one. Contrasting collars would help too, I think (powder on the away, white on the home and alt.) This is a pretty good concept, but those few changes would help in my opnion.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Okay, slight update. I made the navy trim for the bolts on the jersey and pants a little thicker and more noticeable. I also altered the white stripe on the light blue pants so that it's not so tapered to the bolt, but rather a normal width stripe with a bolt in it. I also did a second version with the helmet number light blue, for those who were suggesting it. I don't really think it would show up as well if it were like this. But I'll let you all judge that for yourself.

Chargers2.png

Chargers3.png

I kinda like the powder blue as the alt. The fact that it's not worn much makes it feel more "special." I think if it were worn all the time, it would lose a lot of its appeal, that being that once they make it the primary, the light blue becomes "the norm." And people get used to the norm and take the norm for granted. If this were a case where the navy was so awful looking that a change was desperately needed, I may feel differently. But, take the powder blue jersey out of the equation, and the navy on white set is a really sharp looking design.

I kinda like the powder blue as the alt. The fact that it's not worn much makes it feel more "special." I think if it were worn all the time, it would lose a lot of its appeal, that being that once they make it the primary, the light blue becomes "the norm." And people get used to the norm and take the norm for granted. If this were a case where the navy was so awful looking that a change was desperately needed, I may feel differently. But, take the powder blue jersey out of the equation, and the navy on white set is a really sharp looking design.

Great thought. I think I agree.

As for the uniforms, I don't like the light blue pants. They look too powderpuff and not retro like the rest of the uniform.

Archived