Rebranding the NHL

New York Islanders

Boston Bruins

Ottawa Senators

Atlanta Thrashers

Anaheim Ducks

Florida Panthers

Alright, time to unveil the Sharks....

I should start by saying I really don't like the Sharks new logos. Not at all. They took a decent logo one step forward, but two steps back. While they did try to modernize it, they overdid it. So I took the best of both logos and created a super-shark. Same with the fin logo. The tertiary mark is pretty simple, but has alot of hidden elements. (I'll see how many you guys can pick up) The addition of orange was unecessary, so that was removed as well. Without further adu...

San Jose Sharks Logos

San_Jose_Logosheet.png

My favorite Shark uniforms were the inaugural sweaters. They had a real nice flow to them. So I looked to them for inspiration on these unis...

San Jose Sharks Uniforms

San_Jose_Uniforms.png

C&C

GFB

The Capitals are next...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything looks great, but there's one thing that's kinda bothering me. In the primary logo, to the left of the shark/upper left corner of the triangle/shield, it just looks odd. The shark's body's clearly getting thinner as it goes back, but it's so much thicker with the black in the shield.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say. The uniforms are what they should be wearing. Perhaps try to lose the white outline within the "H" and the "K" on the two "S"s. Does that make sense? Hopefully more simply put, rather than overlapping "Sh" and "kS", why not make them sinlge shapes, or um, ligatures? (I think it's a ligature, where you make them one shape)

that is freakin sweet, im really looking forward to the Caps. my wife is dying to know when ur going to do the Avs?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

These, like the rest of your work is great. As already mentioned, and this is also a problem with their current logo, is the random black hole in the top left of the shield. I love the uniforms and am looking forward to the rest of your designs.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Everything looks great, but there's one thing that's kinda bothering me. In the primary logo, to the left of the shark/upper left corner of the triangle/shield, it just looks odd. The shark's body's clearly getting thinner as it goes back, but it's so much thicker with the black in the shield.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say. The uniforms are what they should be wearing. Perhaps try to lose the white outline within the "H" and the "K" on the two "S"s. Does that make sense? Hopefully more simply put, rather than overlapping "Sh" and "kS", why not make them sinlge shapes, or um, ligatures? (I think it's a ligature, where you make them one shape)

Both of these critiques are spot on.

I'll add that I think a J should go with the S, as traditionally it is the city that gets represented with a monogram, not the nickname (though that is getting more common.)

Overall, this is very good work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll add that I think a J should go with the S, as traditionally it is the city that gets represented with a monogram, not the nickname (though that is getting more common.)

I don't know about you, but I can see as much of a "J" as I can an "S". Or at least that was the way I designed it to look.

The secondary and tertiary are cool, but I think you can do a better primary. You aren't obliged to stick with the shark coming out of a triangle biting a hockey stick...I'm sure you can take a stab at a different take and create something even more efficient. Keep em coming my friend, very strong set you've got going.

The fin logo is nice, the wordmark is nice, but the logo is a bit lackluster. That old shark was and still is too quirky for me. I would have modeled the logo on the current one, simplified it and made it more bold and less comic book than it is.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

not a huge fan of the shark teeth as tape on the blade... looks forced, but i give you many points for trying it :)

i also think that the primary needs some more work. just looks awkward, and in my opinion almost looks like the worst of all their logos.

on the other hand, i really really love the crest on the alternate sweater you made. really really nice alternate sweater, all together.

I thought you gave up, hadn't seen anything about this from you in a month or something...glad to see you back with another "episode" of this series...i like it.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

that is freakin sweet, im really looking forward to the Caps. my wife is dying to know when ur going to do the Avs?

His wife's not the only one!

One again good work. I'm starting to get the feeling that you need to bust into the offices of all these teams and starting telling them how things should be done!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

As am I.

Love the wordmark, love the secondary, hate the primary. It's a little unbalanced, and as noted above the black blob on the left doesn't line up with the shark's body.

I do love your little homage to one of the most interesting mistakes in a professional logo - the tape that doesn't go all the way around the stick....

I don't know about you, but I can see as much of a "J" as I can an "S". Or at least that was the way I designed it to look.

I guess now that you pointed that out I can see it, but honestly IMO it is clearly an "S" first, probably because the entire mark is the S, and the J is only one part of it that couldn't stand independantly on its own (I hope that made sense, but it probably didn't.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived