Bills may play in Toronto

Joshawaggie

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard any talk of expansion, but I think an NFL team in Toronto might be something to explore. Perhaps there's no interest, or Canadians get there fill with the CFL. I don't know. But I think it'd be cool anyway. I usually end up moving the Bills to Toronto for good in Madden anyway. Question for the Canadians: Would there be any interest from a fan's perspective at all?

See. Willis McGahee was right.

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3068853

I think it's a great idea for preseason, and I wouldn't mind one for the regular season as well, but I bet a lot of Buffalo fans would mind.

SI.com had an addition to the article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...o.ap/index.html

The Buffalo Bills intend to play a few games in Canada, eh?

I saw, I came, I left.

I haven't heard any talk of expansion, but I think an NFL team in Toronto might be something to explore. Perhaps there's no interest, or Canadians get there fill with the CFL. I don't know. But I think it'd be cool anyway. I usually end up moving the Bills to Toronto for good in Madden anyway. Question for the Canadians: Would there be any interest from a fan's perspective at all?

The NFL is far more popular in Toronto than the CFL is... I can't speak for the rest of Canada but in Toronto it's NFL >>>> CFL

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The NFL is far more popular in Toronto than the CFL is... I can't speak for the rest of Canada but in Toronto it's NFL >>>> CFL

...and if an NFL team does play in TO full time, kiss the CFL goodbye.

And all of you, cut the "inferior league" crap. The CFL might not have the money the NFL does, but it's just fine, thanks, and can more than stand on its own merits.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

And all of you, cut the "inferior league" crap. The CFL might not have the money the NFL does, but it's just fine, thanks, and can more than stand on its own merits.

And yet, you say that if the NFL goes to Toronto, "kiss the CFL goodbye." So which is it?

I think the CFL is supported well enough in the other seven cities that all you would need to do is find a new city to put a team in and continue on with eight teams. Or put the Argos into a stadium in the burbs and see if fans who think the NFL is too pricey or not what they want to see can still support the franchise on a smaller scale. Why does the NFL coming to Toronto have to kill either the Argos or the league?

IMO, if I were to move the Bills to Toronto, I would suggest that the stadium would be built in nearby Mississauga, which is just outside of Toronto. Either that, or I might place them in either Etobicoke or Scarborough, both former municipalities which are now part of Toronto.

YOZXkBG.png?1

IMO, if I were to move the Bills to Toronto, I would suggest that the stadium would be built in nearby Mississauga, which is just outside of Toronto. Either that, or I might place them in either Etobicoke or Scarborough, both former municipalities which are now part of Toronto.

And now I know

---

Chris Creamer

The Bills should play the Argos in a home-and-home series, once under each ruleset.

That would be awesome. Didn't the CFL/NFL get together and did a couple of these games before?

They did a few decades back

---

Chris Creamer

And yet, you say that if the NFL goes to Toronto, "kiss the CFL goodbye." So which is it?

I think the CFL is supported well enough in the other seven cities that all you would need to do is find a new city to put a team in and continue on with eight teams. Or put the Argos into a stadium in the burbs and see if fans who think the NFL is too pricey or not what they want to see can still support the franchise on a smaller scale. Why does the NFL coming to Toronto have to kill either the Argos or the league?

The CFL dies, because you're not killing one franchise in the Argos, but two, since Hamilton is essentially a suburb (which, now, Chris knows).

The other six cities might make a go of it for a while, but all of the corporate money will go to the NFL. The league will be unable to attract anything relating to a decent TV deal or corporate support, since it's lost the two teams in the largest market, meaning that the CFL as we know it is buh-bye.

Which is a shame, because the weekly TV ratings up here currently have the CFL beating the NFL.

I for one don't care to see the NFL in Canada, except for the odd exhibition game. I like both games, and see the pros and cons to both; but the fact is, as I see it anyway, the two can't co-exist in this country. Period.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Would the NFL actually let Toronto get an expansion/moved franchise before LA? I just don't see it happening without a franchise in LA.

I was hearing rumours about the current Toronto Argonauts owners looking into getting an expansion team for Toronto to play in Rogers Centre. I don't know the validity of the rumours, but I know if they're true I'd stop thinking about getting season tickets for next year.

I watch the CFL more than the NFL, because it's local. I care more about Toronto beating Montreal than Toronto beating the Miami Dolphins. That and IMO the CFL has a better game. The NFL may have better talent, but the CFL doesn't have stupid rules like the fair catch. CFL is closer to their rugby roots than the NFL.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Would the NFL actually let Toronto get an expansion/moved franchise before LA? I just don't see it happening without a franchise in LA.

I was hearing rumours about the current Toronto Argonauts owners looking into getting an expansion team for Toronto to play in Rogers Centre. I don't know the validity of the rumours, but I know if they're true I'd stop thinking about getting season tickets for next year.

I watch the CFL more than the NFL, because it's local. I care more about Toronto beating Montreal than Toronto beating the Miami Dolphins. That and IMO the CFL has a better game. The NFL may have better talent, but the CFL doesn't have stupid rules like the fair catch. CFL is closer to their rugby roots than the NFL.

I hate to tell you this, but rugby has a fair catch, too.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I like both games, and see the pros and cons to both; but the fact is, as I see it anyway, the two can't co-exist in this country. Period.

Which is, in my opinion, unfortunate for the Canadian Football League, as it strikes me that an NFL franchise's entrance into the Toronto market is a matter of "when", not "if".

In fact, the CFL seems to recognize this, as the owners of the Toronto Argonauts - David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski - have recently had discussions with CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon and the league's Board of Governors about the Argos' brass bringing an NFL team to Toronto in collaboration with the CFL's other clubs. The move is viewed as means of heading-off a rival bid for an NFL franchise led by Rogers Communications chief Ted Rogers and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment minority partner Larry Tanenbaum. That's how seriously the CFL itself takes the issue of the NFL setting-up shop in Canada; they're preparing to welcome the NFL into their marketplace by doing business with them.

Is it any wonder that Cynamon and Sokolowski are trying to figure out some way to protect their investment in the Toronto sports scene? Last fall, Tanenbaum revealed that he and Rogers were "highly interested" in bringing the NFL's brand of football to Toronto. At the time, he also said that he and Rogers would "pursue it more rigorously as soon as the NFL gives us the word".

Believe me... the NFL is going to give someone "the word" to go ahead with the business of playing top-flight American football in Toronto. A North American Metropolitan Area market of nearly 13-million people is not going to go untapped by the NFL indefinitely. A team in Toronto is a natural first step in the NFL's growth outside of the borders of the United States. In fact, I fully expect that we'll see NFL franchises in Toronto, Mexico City and London within my lifetime, with the Ontario capital being the first international market to secure such a team.

Would the NFL actually let Toronto get an expansion/moved franchise before LA?

The NFL will go to the major market where a deep-pocketed ownership group steps up with concrete plans for a state-of-the-art facility. If a Toronto-based bid were able to get it's "ducks in a row" before a Los Angeles-based bid, the Canadian city would get the nod. Period.

Besides... there's reason to believe that NFL officials might well prefer to do business in an unsullied marketplace like Toronto, rather than trying to set-up shop in a market that has been burned twice before as Los Angeles has.

I just don't see it happening without a franchise in LA.

Unfortunately, there's been absolutely no movement on the stadium development front in Greater Los Angeles for several months. The status quo? Well... first, Pasadena passed on renovating the Rose Bowl to serve as home to a Los Angeles-based NFL franchise. Then, the City of Anaheim announced that they were no longer going to give the NFL exclusive rights to negotiate a development deal for land adjacent to Angel Stadium, opening the doors for competing developers to propose alternative plans for the acreage in question. Finally, the Los Angeles Coliseum extended it's lease with the University of Southern California, making the school the primary tenant in that facility. Bottom line? No stadium development or renovation plan in Los Angeles... no NFL franchise for Los Angeles.

Archived