Papelbon Still Wearing 2006 Wool 5950?

BallWonk

Papelbon is closing for the Red Sox in the ninth tonight, and you can see clearly that his cap has a gray underbrim, like the wool 5950s used to. I assume this means he's still wearing last year's caps, not that he had special caps made this year with gray under the brim. But anyone know for sure what's up with Papelbon's gray underbrim? Is this an old cap, or new, and why is Papelbon wearing it?

20082614447.png

I don't understand why guys won't wear the new 5950s... after a week of wearing one, while doing some light sweating, the crown will fit to your head and its a really great hat. In comparison to a brand new wool 5950 to 2006 which I got at the same time, I like to wear my newer one a lot more because I find it a lot more comfortable.

I don't understand why guys won't wear the new 5950s... after a week of wearing one, while doing some light sweating, the crown will fit to your head and its a really great hat. In comparison to a brand new wool 5950 to 2006 which I got at the same time, I like to wear my newer one a lot more because I find it a lot more comfortable.

Me, too.

Didn't like the change at first - seemed to be another of those unnecessary "improvements" to a classic - but I'm sold. The new caps are beautiful.

Interesting -- I haven't had that experience at all. After light wearing, all of my new 5950s have softened up just a bit -- eliminating the shipping crease, mainly -- but otherwise have not changed at all since March. Better shape retention, better color retention, no dye bleed-through from cap to logo embroidery, no shrinkage, better performance in heat and rain ... all in all something very close to miracle hats. And I was completely prepared to hate on them, since I regard wool twill as a generally terrific fabric. The only change in fit I've experienced on these caps was when I took the stiff backing out of the front panels. The new 5950s take that removal much better than the old wool ones. They instantly look and feel like a real ballcap is supposed to -- you feel like you're in a photo of a ballplayer from the 1950s. The new fabric has just the right slouch to it, whereas the wool tended to keep its Elmer Fudd structure more when the backing was removed. Just awesome caps, these new 5950s, to the point that I've stopped buying Minor League caps until they make the switch too.

But on my screen, it looked like Papelbon's cap was a well-worn wool 5950. The sweatband visibly stuck out on the sides, as it will when the wool cap has shrunk, and the close shape of the front also looked like the wool had shrunk to his head. Could be a comfort thing or a superstition thing. Just wondering whether anyone knows why Papelbon has made this choice -- has he been quoted on it in the local press or anything? Does he wear the new BP caps before games?

20082614447.png

Papelbon is closing for the Red Sox in the ninth tonight, and you can see clearly that his cap has a gray underbrim, like the wool 5950s used to. I assume this means he's still wearing last year's caps, not that he had special caps made this year with gray under the brim. But anyone know for sure what's up with Papelbon's gray underbrim? Is this an old cap, or new, and why is Papelbon wearing it?

Wow. You must be a riot to watch a game with. :D

"I wonder if he'll throw the gas here or a change-up?"

"I dunno....but check out the dude's hat. That is SO last year."

Wow. You must be a riot to watch a game with.

Howdy, stranger. And :welcome:

I know it says you joined this community of people who obsess over every minute detail of sports logos and uniforms, but making such a :censored: headed statement like your last post makes me wonder if you understand what this place is really about.

Sure, we love sports as much as any - and in Tnak's case, perhaps more than any man should. But we're also junkies for graphic design, sports logos, uniforms and equipment. To that end, sharp-eyed members like 'Wonk pick up on the slightest details, like the underbill of Papelbon's cap. And trust me, had it not been him, it would have been any one of a hundred other people. He just got to it first.

So in closing, new friend, enjoy your stay. Now that you know what goes on here, the choice is yours. Feel free to stay and enjoy our shared mutual obsession. Or, get the :censored: out and don't come back. Either way, we'll be here, obsessing over the thickness of the Bears' numerals, the size of the Chief Wahoo logo on the Indians' caps, and why the Cowboys can't seem to make all their shades of silver agree. But ripping one of us in our own community because of what we like to talk about is really bad form. And now you know.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I know it says you joined this community of people who obsess over every minute detail of sports logos and uniforms, but making such a :censored: headed statement like your last post makes me wonder if you understand what this place is really about.

Sure, we love sports as much as any - and in Tnak's case, perhaps more than any man should. But we're also junkies for graphic design, sports logos, uniforms and equipment. To that end, sharp-eyed members like 'Wonk pick up on the slightest details, like the underbill of Papelbon's cap. And trust me, had it not been him, it would have been any one of a hundred other people. He just got to it first.

So in closing, new friend, enjoy your stay. Now that you know what goes on here, the choice is yours. Feel free to stay and enjoy our shared mutual obsession. Or, get the :censored: out and don't come back. Either way, we'll be here, obsessing over the thickness of the Bears' numerals, the size of the Chief Wahoo logo on the Indians' caps, and why the Cowboys can't seem to make all their shades of silver agree. But ripping one of us in our own community because of what we like to talk about is really bad form. And now you know.

Wow. Take a f'ing pill, dude. I'd start with the biggest Xanex you can find. Then, start working on getting your panties out the ball their in. I've been here almost 2 years. I know what this place is about, so just hold onto the welcome pack your putting together, 'k?

Wow. Take a f'ing pill, dude. I'd start with the biggest Xanex you can find. Then, start working on getting your panties out the ball their in. I've been here almost 2 years. I know what this place is about, so just hold onto the welcome pack your putting together, 'k?

So, you've been here for that long and still make a comment like that? We all enjoy the game in different ways bud. If you can't accept the fact that this is a uniform freak's paradise, maybe you should go ahead and move on out of here.

Timlin wears the old hat too.

Hadn't been paying attention to Papelbon, but Timlin's grey underbill was the first thing I noticed when he came in the other night. I haven't looked, but considering how he likes his caps, I wonder if Gas Can Gagne found one of the old 2006 Red Sox caps to wear and dirty up.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived