The Super Bowl in London?

johnnysama

I'm sure the owners are drooling at the prospect of raking in those valuable Euros. But why not a pointless game that nobody here cares about? Like the Pro Bowl? Rotate that game around Europe every year or something.

Precisely because it is - as you point out - a "pointless game that nobody cares about". What would be the incentive for anybody to purchase tickets to a pointless game.

The reason the NFL is considering playing a Super Bowl in London is because said game is a huge draw regardless of the market in which it is played. We've already established that the NFL's corporate partners and deep-pocketed fans will attend the game in London. While the vast majority of middle-class NFL fans will spend Super Bowl Sunday in their living rooms, as they always do, there will be some who will scrape together the means to attend the game in one of the world's greatest cities... just as those same fans now scrape together the means to attend Super Bowls in much more Finally,

umm.... have you finished your thought, or did you have something more to add ?:therock:

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My main concern about a Super Bowl being played outside North America is the quality of play during the game. It just wouldn't be fair to the teams to train and prepare for months, and have the championship game played in a location where the body clock gets affected.

Generally speaking, there has been a two-week period between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl in recent years. This would provide teams with more then enough time to recalibrate their "body clocks".

Also, bear in mind that East Coast NFL franchises travelling to a West Coast Super Bowl site travel approximately the same distance as they would to get to the UK. The "body clocks" of said teams have adjusted just fine, so why wouldn't they after making the trip to London?

This week's Dolphins-Giants game will be a big determining factor in whether London is a feasible Super Bowl location.

Not so much. As I just stated, the lay-off between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl has come to be - more often than not - two weeks. The Dolphins and Giants will be travelling to London and playing a game just one week after their last game. A regular season NFL game in London being contested between two franchises that are both coming off of a bye week would be a far better indication of how team's adjust to playing a Super Bowl in London.

umm.... have you finished your thought, or did you have something more to add ? :therock:

I inadvertently hit "Add Reply". I've finished posting my thought.

Patience, young Grasshopper. You may now go back and bask in the glory of my wisdom. :D

Yes, master ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm for whatever derails the No Fun League and their corporate pariahs from their perfect plan of things.

Personally, I'm hoping global warming will take over and the Super Bowl is played in a driving snowstorm that rusts the roof mechanism.

But that's just me.

philly.png

umm.... have you finished your thought, or did you have something more to add ?

I inadvertently hit "Add Reply". I've finished posting my thought.

Patience, young Grasshopper. You may now go back and bask in the glory of my wisdom.

Wisdom... or Stupidity. ^_^

Please don't ban me. :(

Also, bear in mind that East Coast NFL franchises travelling to a West Coast Super Bowl site travel approximately the same distance as they would to get to the UK. The "body clocks" of said teams have adjusted just fine, so why wouldn't they after making the trip to London?

Because they might drive on the wrong side of the road.

That's it. That's the only reason.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My main concern about a Super Bowl being played outside North America is the quality of play during the game. It just wouldn't be fair to the teams to train and prepare for months, and have the championship game played in a location where the body clock gets affected.

Generally speaking, there has been a two-week period between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl in recent years. This would provide teams with more then enough time to recalibrate their "body clocks".

There is a two-week period, but the teams usually travel out to the Super Bowl site the weekend before the Super Bowl. This aspect could change, however, but the first week is where a bulk of the gameplanning and ticketing/travelling arrangements are made. Speaking of travel, if a Super Bowl were played outside of the US, each player (and for that matter, everyone) would need passports/visas for international travel, and depending on some players, obtaining passports could become a problem because of legal issues.

The "body clocks" become an issue because it's a 5-hour difference, at least, for the players. Athletes can easily adjust going from east-to-west because they're still active three hours later. For instance, Braves players are still active at 10pm for a 7pm-local start in Los Angeles because their day starts later. Dodgers players have to start their days three hours earlier, playing a 7pm-local game in Atlanta when their bodies are in 4pm mode. Teams travelling west-to-east have a much more difficult adjustment than those travelling east-to-west. The recalibration of the body clock doesn't happen overnight. It would take time for the body to adjust and move ahead 5+ hours.

The "body clocks" become an issue because it's a 5-hour difference, at least, for the players. Athletes can easily adjust going from east-to-west because they're still active three hours later. For instance, Braves players are still active at 10pm for a 7pm-local start in Los Angeles because their day starts later. Dodgers players have to start their days three hours earlier, playing a 7pm-local game in Atlanta when their bodies are in 4pm mode. Teams travelling west-to-east have a much more difficult adjustment than those travelling east-to-west. The recalibration of the body clock doesn't happen overnight. It would take time for the body to adjust and move ahead 5+ hours.

Yes, and there have been instances when West Coast-based NFL franchises have had to compete in a Super Bowl being played in the Eastern Time Zone. The players successfully made the adjustment... just as players would make the body clock adjustment to playing a Super Bowl in London. The people in question are professional athletes, not china dolls.

The fact that Commissioner Goodell broached the subject of a London-based Super Bowl publicly means that the league is well-along in the process of studying the various ramifications of playing the game overseas. They've considered all of the factors that would come into play should the Super Bowl be contested in London... and still feel enamored enough of the project to publicly reveal the distinct possibility of such a game being played. In other words, it is reasonable to believe that NFL executives have come to the preliminary conclusion that contesting the Super Bowl in London would not negatively impact the league's showpiece event. Further, there is every reason to believe that the next step in the plan will be the addressing of specific details aimed at mitigating issues such as time-zone adjustments, travel issues, etc.

Super Bowl host sites are currently spoken for through Super Bowl XLV in 2011, as follows:

SB XLII - 2008 - Glendale, AZ

SB XLIII - 2009 - Tampa, FL

SB XLIV - 2010 - South Florida

SB XLV - 2011 - North Texas

This means that better than four years and three months of planning time exists in which to iron-out the details of the earliest possible London-based Super Bowl. That's more than enough time to successfully anticipate and address the challenges that would face such an undertaking.

Bottom line? There is every reason to believe that the NFL's ultimate game will be played in London within a decade.

Is the US a soccer hotbed? No.

But the US was participating.

The World Cup is the WORLD CUP...it rotates AROUND THE WORLD.

When has a team from London or Tokyo or Paris or wherever ever taken part in an NFL season?

The NFL isn't a worldwide event like the FIFA WC is...that's why the U.S. hosting it is completely different.

Thanks for not noticing what my response was about. McCall stated that the US shouldn't host the Rugby World Cup because Rugby isn't popular here. Well, soccer sure isn't, yet the US hosted a World Cup. Obviously popularity != ability to host an event.

Speaking of which...

The NFL already tried to globalize american football (NFL Europe), nobody cared. The super bowl in London would be like a traveling side show circus. The English only care about one thing The Premier League (EPL).

Nobody cared? Seriously, wake up and smell the Earl Grey. The UK gets the NFL on three stations during the regular season (ITV, Sky Sports, and Setanta's NASN), much less the playoffs. The time slots in UK time allow for great ratings as the soccer for the day in the UK is done, and Sky only shows a single Spanish match in the evenings, if there is one for that matter. In addition, want to guess where Sunday Ticket will hit European shores first? Hint: It's not Liechtenstein.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

If January climate is a major factor as to why none of the northern states get to host a Super Bowl, why wouldn't that have an effect on England when they're even farther north than the contiental U.S.?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Is the US a soccer hotbed? No.

But the US was participating.

The World Cup is the WORLD CUP...it rotates AROUND THE WORLD.

When has a team from London or Tokyo or Paris or wherever ever taken part in an NFL season?

The NFL isn't a worldwide event like the FIFA WC is...that's why the U.S. hosting it is completely different.

Thanks for not noticing what my response was about. McCall stated that the US shouldn't host the Rugby World Cup because Rugby isn't popular here. Well, soccer sure isn't, yet the US hosted a World Cup. Obviously popularity != ability to host an event.

Actually, I never mentioned anything about Rugby.

But to quickly debate your point about soccer, the U.S. competed in the World Cup. London is not competing in the Super Bowl. 2 American teams are.

If January climate is a major factor as to why none of the northern states get to host a Super Bowl, why wouldn't that have an effect on England when they're even farther north than the contiental U.S.?

Doesn't the Gulf Stream have a moderating influence on the British Climate? (Yeah I know, weak excuse....it's still going to be cold.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's something to consider. How far in advance do I have to apply for a visa for something that may or may not happen? In addition to the ticket, how much more am I shelling out for the visa itself? It's one thing for Europeans to travel between numerous countries with no big hassle. Americans wanting to travel just for a game sounds like a major hassle.

It's true that corporations do purchase many tickets. However, even for a anticlimactic game, the stands are filled with regular fans. I disagree with the notion that this game is just disposable and out of the reach of the average fan. I think Goodell threw the soundbite out there to get people thinking, but I think he'll come to realize that this is something not to tamper with.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

It should be noted that this isn't the first time the NFL has raised this possibility. A few months ago I recall both London and Mexico City were brought up by some league official as possible Super Bowl sites. Mexico City would actually make more sense than London (warmer climate, shorter travel distance, more favorable time zone), albeit not that much more (smog, rampant crime and corruption, a stadium with a fence surrounding the field making it look kind of like a prison yard with spectator stands).

I see no one has yet brought up the post-Tim-Donaghy elephant in the room: legalized sports betting in the would-be host country. Legal sports books abound in the UK (and in Mexico too, for that matter). Has Roger Goodell taken this into account? If so, it evidently has not raised any red flags.

CCSLC signature.png

Actually, I never mentioned anything about Rugby.

But to quickly debate your point about soccer, the U.S. competed in the World Cup. London is not competing in the Super Bowl. 2 American teams are.

Meh, all you Cardinals are the same.

As for the thought that London shouldn't host the Super Bowl simply because it's an American league is plain silly. It ignores the fact that the NFL is a global brand and has already played regular season games in foreign countries for years now. No one cries over the fact that a team may make the playoffs through the fact they won a game overseas. I mean, if the Super Bowl is held in London, is the winner somehow illegitimate? If the answer is no, then there's no reason it can't be played overseas.

In addition, the cries of time difference and jet lag, and other excuses don't fly with me. We're talking about 14 days between Championship games and the Super Bowl, and if an NFL player can not get used to the time difference in that timespan, then they shouldn't be playing in the NFL. Simple as that.

As for London's climate, at the beginning of February you'll see highs in the mid-40s and lows in the mid-30s. Overcast with a good bit of light rain.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

As for London's climate, at the beginning of February you'll see highs in the mid-40s and lows in the mid-30s. Overcast with a good bit of light rain.

Celebs won't like that...

How many luxury boxes does new Wembley have?

Not sure if this would be a problem: Given the Super Bowl's tradition as a Prime Time Event in the United States, at what time would the game have to kick off in London, and would this create any problems?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Celebs won't like that...

How many luxury boxes does new Wembley have?

Not sure if this would be a problem: Given the Super Bowl's tradition as a Prime Time Event in the United States, at what time would the game have to kick off in London, and would this create any problems?

... well Celebs (and everyone in attendance) would be well sheltered. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of corporate boxes in the new Wembley. (160 of them , in fact)

http://www.wembleystadium.com/Templates/Cl...EHINT=Guest#ECA

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived