Oregon finally in all-white!

DG_ThenNowForever

• 3 months later...
Ha! The names are in light silver on a white jersey. And I thought RBK Designers are bad. All of these awful designers should of payed more attention in their design classes.

....and you should have payed more attention when you resurrected a three-and-a-half month old thread to make a useless comment. You've been here long enough to that this kind of thing is frowned upon.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Ha! The names are in light silver on a white jersey. And I thought RBK Designers are bad. All of these awful designers should of payed more attention in their design classes.

....and you should have payed more attention when you resurrected a three-and-a-half month old thread to make a useless comment. You've been here long enough to that this kind of thing is frowned upon.

You know what the funny part is? I created this thread, not realizing that another one had already been made on the topic. That one was called "Ducks in All White," or something similar, and I had assumed it was about the NHL team. Anyway, there was a much more robust discussion in that topic than in this one, mostly because it had been around longer. I had assumed this one was (rightfully) graveyarded. But, nope, necroed to make some point that really didn't need to be made. My bet? Mr. Habsfan1 was incredibly bored, incredibly drunk, or both.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Since when is it unacceptable or a design blunder to use silver text on a white background, especially when it's an element not critical to the function of the jersey; an 'extra' if you will, given that many teams do not use name on their jerseys. In many advanced design schools, you're taught that the only rule of design is that there are no rules.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Since when is it unacceptable or a design blunder to use silver text on a white background, especially when it's an element not critical to the function of the jersey; an 'extra' if you will, given that many teams do not use name on their jerseys. In many advanced design schools, you're taught that the only rule of design is that there are no rules.

The function of putting the names on the back of the jerseys is so that people can read them. If form follows function (and I believe it does, but don't take my word for it -- I'm pretty sure someone else coined that phrase), then the lettering should be in a color that can actually be read. Such is not the case with silver on a white background. This concludes the remedial Bauhuas lesson; we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

What's up with all the douchebaggery taking place here? Jesus people, take a chill pill. It's not the end of the world if 5 seconds of your life are wasted looking at a comment on an old thread. If you're on here, it's kinda a given you're not using your time reeeal efficiently anyway.

But people definitely need to stop with the condescending attitudes. You know who you are.

Really though, unless there is something new to add to the conversation, something changing since the time the original thread came and went, is there really a point to bump it like that?

If there was an announcement they were changing the font color, then I'd say it would be worth it, but just to make a comment, it is pretty unnecessary.

The function of putting the names on the back of the jerseys is so that people can read them. If form follows function (and I believe it does, but don't take my word for it -- I'm pretty sure someone else coined that phrase), then the lettering should be in a color that can actually be read. Such is not the case with silver on a white background. This concludes the remedial Bauhuas lesson; we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

It's true that the form of the lettering does not follow the function in this case. Silver is certainly hard to read on white. That's a no-brainer, but that's not what I said. I said that the names weren't critical to the function of the jersey. The function of the jersey is as follows: First, to identify the team through the unique combination of color and pattern. Second, to identify specific players through the use of large numbers easily discernable from a distance.

Names are not essential to the function of the jersey, or at best, they are third wheel. You're not reading names from the stands, anyway, and the screen graphics take care of it on t.v., so even that's moot. You look up the name on the roster when you want to know who Penn State's #22 is. My point was that since they're not essential to the function of the jersey, why not make them silver and be a little unique? Doing so in no way makes these individuals 'awful designers' and does not warrant a snide, insulting comment (tongue-in-cheek or not) about how they should have 'paid more attention in their design classes'. A modern, unique look like this (silver on white) would be appreciated much more often than it is berated in a design class.

I probably don't need a remedial Bauhaus lesson, either. I spent the better part of two years doing thesis research on Bauhaus design and it's impact on European social change, and I'm still a little burnt out. It was a good try, ya just got tangled up in the specifics of intent and meaning.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's true that the form of the lettering does not follow the function in this case. Silver is certainly hard to read on white. That's a no-brainer, but that's not what I said. I said that the names weren't critical to the function of the jersey. The function of the jersey is as follows: First, to identify the team through the unique combination of color and pattern. Second, to identify specific players through the use of large numbers easily discernable from a distance.

Names are not essential to the function of the jersey, or at best, they are third wheel. You're not reading names from the stands, anyway, and the screen graphics take care of it on t.v., so even that's moot. You look up the name on the roster when you want to know who Penn State's #22 is. My point was that since they're not essential to the function of the jersey, why not make them silver and be a little unique? Doing so in no way makes these individuals 'awful designers' and does not warrant a snide, insulting comment (tongue-in-cheek or not) about how they should have 'paid more attention in their design classes'. A modern, unique look like this (silver on white) would be appreciated much more often than it is berated in a design class.

I probably don't need a remedial Bauhaus lesson, either. I spent the better part of two years doing thesis research on Bauhaus design and it's impact on European social change, and I'm still a little burnt out. It was a good try, ya just got tangled up in the specifics of intent and meaning.

You know a lot more than me about this, but I think he meant that if they are going to put names on, why make them unreadable? If you can barely see the silver, and you concede that when it comes to names, but not when it comes to modern looks, why even put it on? Yo can barely see the sleek look like you can barely see the names, so shouldn't they change the font color to make it readable and give it a different look, or just take it out altogether because it is virtually useless?

You know a lot more than me about this, but I think he meant that if they are going to put names on, why make them unreadable? If you can barely see the silver, and you concede that when it comes to names, but not when it comes to modern looks, why even put it on? Yo can barely see the sleek look like you can barely see the names, so shouldn't they change the font color to make it readable and give it a different look, or just take it out altogether because it is virtually useless?

I know what he meant. To me, the name is not a design element that is essential to the object's function. The decision to put names on the jersey does not make them essential and thus does not make it a given that they must be legible from 200 meters. Of course you can say, 'Why not make it a dark color?' I don't disagree with that logic. It's a good solution. You can still read the silver names from an appropriate distance, but black or green names would surely make them more legible. The point is, everyone does that because it's a good, proven solution to the problem. It's also a predictable, easy solution for the same reason. So why not make them silver? It's different and it's unique. I find the silver on white to be very refreshing. People like black because it's functional. I like silver because it's unique and it's interesting when placed on white. I'm simply responding to the insulting language (in habsfan1's post) directed toward the individuals responsible for putting silver names on a white jersey. They should go back to design school why? Because they were creative and took a risk by doing something differently? I don't think so. The industry needs more of that. Apparently habsfan1 thinks they should go back to design school so they can learn to do things like everyone else, because there's obviously no room for imagination, individuality or other 'what ifs?' in the world of sports uniform design.

I know what he meant. To me, the name is not a design element that is essential to the object's function. The decision to put names on the jersey does not make them essential and thus does not make it a given that they must be legible from 200 meters. Of course you can say, 'Why not make it a dark color?' I don't disagree with that logic. It's a good solution. You can still read the silver names from an appropriate distance, but black or green names would surely make them more legible. The point is, everyone does that because it's a good, proven solution to the problem. It's also a predictable, easy solution for the same reason. So why not make them silver? It's different and it's unique. I find the silver on white to be very refreshing. People like black because it's functional. I like silver because it's unique and it's interesting when placed on white. I'm simply responding to the insulting language (in habsfan1's post) directed toward the individuals responsible for putting silver names on a white jersey. They should go back to design school why? Because they were creative and took a risk by doing something differently? I don't think so. The industry needs more of that. Apparently habsfan1 thinks they should go back to design school so they can learn to do things like everyone else, because there's obviously no room for imagination, individuality or other 'what ifs?' in the world of sports uniform design.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....People may hate some of the stuff that Nike and other design companies are doing with uniform design, but atleast they are pushing boundaries and shaking things up. If people in a bar start talking about the uniform desgins while watching a Big Ten basketball game then it works. (BTW, I've personally witnessed this happening on a few occassions) Even if they think the design sucks, people have got their attention on the uniforms. Back when I was growing up noone spoke about uniforms while watching games because all of the uniforms were basically the same old standard templates used by the same teams, over and over and over again. Atleast Nike is making uniform design relevant again, even if some of their ideas stink. Any designer knows that sometimes you have do create a dozen or so duds before you create genius. Hopefully Nike is getting pretty close. :D

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the "remedial Bauhaus" post. I was in a goofy mood and trying to be funny, but upon re-reading it I realize I sounded like a condescending jerk. I could have made my point in a more civil manner.

I still contend, though, that if you decide to put the names on the back of the jerseys, then those names have a function -- that is, to help with player identification -- whether that function is integral to the overall function of the jersey or not. To argue otherwise is like saying, "I decided not to put a roof on my garage, because the garage is not integral to the function of the house, and I wanted to have a garage whose design is unique and interesting."

That's just the opinion of one man who cannot say he did his thesis on Bauhaus design...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived