Paul Byrd took HGH

RyanB06

Working in the media ? albeit not in a market where there are professional sports ? I would sincerely hope that, as soon as the reporters involved with the story got the facts, got them confirmed, checked them and double-checked them, the story would appear in the paper ... no sooner, no later. If they knew about it in May, it should have been published in May. If they didn't find out until December, that's when I would expect to see on the sports pages.

I would sincerely hope that there was no collusion on the reporters' part to hold the story until the most inopportune time for Byrd and the Indians. Of course, if the information did not come from the sources until then, that can't really be helped.

Of course, I don't know what was going on at the Chronicle. But purposefully delaying a story until it does the most damage smacks of irresponsible journalism, and again, I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Working in the media ? albeit not in a market where there are professional sports ? I would sincerely hope that, as soon as the reporters involved with the story got the facts, got them confirmed, checked them and double-checked them, the story would appear in the paper ... no sooner, no later. If they knew about it in May, it should have been published in May. If they didn't find out until December, that's when I would expect to see on the sports pages.

I would sincerely hope that there was no collusion on the reporters' part to hold the story until the most inopportune time for Byrd and the Indians. Of course, if the information did not come from the sources until then, that can't really be helped.

Of course, I don't know what was going on at the Chronicle. But purposefully delaying a story until it does the most damage smacks of irresponsible journalism, and again, I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Well for example...the Mitchell report is ready to go. Why wait until after the world series?

Would it bother anybody if I changed the title of this thread to something that doesn't mistake a guy taking more than legit meds for cheating?

Okay. I changed it.

He's not a cheater. I didn't like it.

Read the post prior to mine and kindly reconsider your decision. Someone who needs HGH for a legitimate reason doesn't go to a dentist for the prescription.

Β 

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Would it bother anybody if I changed the title of this thread to something that doesn't mistake a guy taking more than legit meds for cheating?

Okay. I changed it.

He's not a cheater. I didn't like it.

Read the post prior to mine and kindly reconsider your decision. Someone who needs HGH for a legitimate reason doesn't go to a dentist for the prescription.

There.

Now I took away the legit part.

I still don't buy it as cheating if it wasn't illegal. One way or another, he took it for a medical problem, and he had a prescription for it.

If there's any fault there, it's on the doctor who prescribed it, not Byrd.

.... yeah, about the timing.... (ok, it's a stretch)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7365076

When I interviewed Paul Byrd about his use of human growth hormone, he had a question of his own for me.

"Isn't George Mitchell with the Red Sox?"

Yes, I replied, he is.

And the mere fact that Byrd raised the issue demonstrates anew that Major League Baseball has a problem.

When the leader of a supposedly independent investigation is affiliated with a party under investigation, it's Conflict of Interest 101.

The Red Sox are one of 30 major-league clubs. Mitchell, the point man in baseball's steroids investigation, is a member of their board of directors.

I saw, I came, I left.

Well for example...the Mitchell report is ready to go. Why wait until after the world series?

As I said, if the source ? in this case, MLB ? decides to hold on to the information for their own benefit, there's not a whole lot the media can do to get it before it is released. Of course, there always seem to be "leaks" to the media these days, so if a copy got leaked before the end of the World Series, you can bet it will be splashed across the front page of every sports section as soon as humanly possible.

As I said, if the source ? in this case, MLB ? decides to hold on to the information for their own benefit, there's not a whole lot the media can do to get it before it is released. Of course, there always seem to be "leaks" to the media these days, so if a copy got leaked before the end of the World Series, you can bet it will be splashed across the front page of every sports section as soon as humanly possible.

I don't think its all the media, I think MLB may be as guilty as some of the media. Its my little conspiracy theory. Nor do I think all media is guilty of all this.

Was the information about Mitchell being a member of a MLB club known information? If it was known, it wasn't well reported. This was the first I heard of it and frankly, I'm a little upset about it. This was intended to be a unbiased, external, third party investigation. Why was someone that had any affiliation with a club picked to head the investigation?

I'm not saying he'll withold Red Sox names or anything, but there will always be doubts.

I've defended Selig before in regards to some of the innovations since he has become commish, but when it comes to steroids, he has dropped the ball big time.

If the Red Sox win tonight what Red Sox player is going to be linked to HGH in tomorrows paper?

None...why? Because of the main stream medias love affair with the Red Sox and Yankees. Will someone be connected? Very possible...But THAT info won't come out until WAYYYYY after the season is over...if it were to ever come out. I'll say it again (and echo the comment above), the timing of this leak is very very fishy...

It's very unfortunate....The Red Sox are basically becoming that of which they've detested for years...Another version of the Yankees....

I think the Media would absolutely love the Red Sox and/or Yankees to have players on their teams that are linked to steriods. There was a media frenzy when Giambi got busted, so why is this any different? Do I think any Sox are one steroids? The answer is, regretably, yes. I think that Eric Hinske and Kevin Youkilis might have steroids in their past. Am I happy to admit that? No way, but it's just a hunch at this point.

My money was on Gabe Kapler doing steroids. And others. Do I care? Hell no... just as I don't care that Bonds did or anyone else has. What I hate about this whole situation is the timing.

My money is on Eric Gagne.

Awful as a starting pitcher and gets injured, comes back and is suddenly a dominant closer for 2-3 years, then gets injured again and has never been the same dominant relief pitcher he was before MLB tested for steroids.

Archived