Consumer Brand for Eyewear

ABCJr

No opinions? Is it good? Does it suck? Does it need improvement?

Background: Earlier, I asked for help on a logo for Eyenovate, Inc. This brand is a sub-brand to the main company, and will represent several different product lines that will be sold on a consumer level.

The product is pretty cool and has been well-received in the markets we've launched it. The founder of the company had originally branded the entire organization and product line based on his last name beginning with the letter "Z," so we've essentially had to start from branding scratch.

Chemistrie was chosen as the brand for the opportunity to present a double entendre. The product lines currently all feature magnets as part of the functional design and when the product is used, it creates a "click" sound. Also, we want people to have an emotional connection to the brand, hence the "chemistry." The spelling gave us a softer brand than the traditional spelling of the word, making it more "consumer" and less "scientific." The name also gave us the opportunity to use the tagline, "eyewear that clicks." Finally, we felt that the brand name could stand the test of time as we expanded the line to include products not within the current scope.

So, does anyone have any feedback?

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

ABCJr,

Just a little feedback:

I do think that it does need some improvement.

1. I am not sure why the "i" is emphasized. I think that with the unique spelling of ?Chemistrie? that it makes it hard to instantly understand what the name of the brand is.

2. There is no contrast between your main logo and the tag line. They both carry the same weight and spacing and there isn?t enough contrast there.

3. If the tag line is flush left and right with the main logo it would add some flexibility with the logo rather than having it centered underneath. It would give it more of a rectangle form rather than one that is top heavy that sinks in with the tagline.

I hope this helps and doesn?t come off as too critical. I think you have a good starting point and I look forward to seeing this logo evolve. Keep us updated.

Too critical would be, "you suck!" You've presented some valid points.

I've presented this logo to a few people, and I've had some diverse opinions. First, everyone likes the name and the tagline, so we're good there. The colors seem to work for people, too. The challenge seems to be the middle "i," in that they seem to read the logo as two words, missing the entire word until they look at it for a while. I don't have this problem -- it's the typical case of seeing your own work -- so I'm not entirely sure what the challenge is.

The "i" is used as a focal point only because it's virtually at perfect center of the word.

After sleeping on it, I'll agree with the basic top, but I really like the spaced centered tagline underneath. I don't think it's weighted improperly, though it becomes unbalanced when the box is removed and just the "i" remains.

Good criticism and more is welcome. We'll see how it goes.

-Albert

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Ok, revision. What do you think?

chem4.jpg

jars with me bro.

'eyewear that clicks' feels too heavy and im not sure it should be in lower case. you might get away with title case.

also, c, r and tm (im sure its not trademarked but..) do not play a part in the alignment of a logo.

i thin the tagline should run the length of the 'chemistrie' (why the spelling?) and the whole thing would then be justified and a bit tidier.

I'll echo davidson here and say that the whole alignment looks 'messy' and I don't really understand it. The tagline is not anchored, even though it's flush with the right side of Chemistrie. What about a one-liner: Chemistrie. Eyewear that clicks. all on one line, obviously using contrasting type styles and weights for the name and tagline, respectively? Maybe the tagline fills the area under just the black letters in Chemistrie? Do up 10 or 12 of them and present them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Hey All:

I'm working with a designer on this, so that last version was definitely poor. I didn't have access to Illustrator at the moment, so I used photoshop.

Here is the lastest I got from the designer. To give some additional background, one of the features of the product is a magnet placed on the actual lens. This is distinctive to the point that we felt we could include it in the logo design. The high rectangle, combined with the tagline anchored at the ends of the black text, I think really balances the logo well.

chem5.jpg

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

That last one looks a lot better, the color of the red is much better and the tagline is anchored a lot better. I want to know what the deal is with the little white dot in the rectangle though, is that supposed to be the magnet thingy? For some reason it distracts me, I dunno, may just be me though.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Hey VCX:

Here's two pictures: the first with just the frames (and magnet embedded) and the second with the clip. This might also help to explain the dot in the box and how it's made to reference the lens.

phpfwinLX_600.jpg

phpBOtVYA_600.jpg

-Albert

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

ABCJr.,

I hate to do this and I hope I am not stepping on any toes, but I just thought it would be easier to show you than describe to you what I was talking about earlier. I like the changes you made to the "C" and adding the dot. I was talking with a student designer in my office and we looked at it and thought that the "C" in the box was a good start in developing a stand-alone part of the logo that can either work with or without the logo. We kinda worked together and came up with this design. Like I said, we don't intend to insult, we just thought it would be easier to show than describe.

CHEMISTRIE_EX.jpg

ABCJr.,

I hate to do this and I hope I am not stepping on any toes, but I just thought it would be easier to show you than describe to you what I was talking about earlier. I like the changes you made to the "C" and adding the dot. I was talking with a student designer in my office and we looked at it and thought that the "C" in the box was a good start in developing a stand-alone part of the logo that can either work with or without the logo. We kinda worked together and came up with this design. Like I said, we don't intend to insult, we just thought it would be easier to show than describe.

CHEMISTRIE_EX.jpg

crock.jpg

i see a crocodile.

ABCJr.,

CHEMISTRIE_EX.jpg

Hey Rynoz:

Don't apologize and you're not stepping on toes. I appreciate the feedback and the effort you took to present an idea. I like the concept (crocodile aside).

As for the last version I posted, I think that's the version we're going with. We have multiple constituencies and several other constraints under which we're working. We have to take into account a variety of uses, printing and other issues that factor into the overall design concept. I'm sure it doesn't satisfy everyone, but I think it best communicates what we do.

-Albert

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

ABCJr...that's actually brutal, the product i mean. The magnet on the lense? That's a horrible idea. The one i had was in the frame, on the top where the joint is when you fold the glasses. So it would click on and stay on the way a clip on does with the magnets on the sides and nothing clicking to the bridge part of the glasses which just looks horrible. As i'm sure there are many posting in this thread, i'm a glasses wearing dude and i wear them all the time (i hate contacts)...having the magnets in the lense would be distracting. I don't even like seeing my frame when i wear my glasses. Magnet's that size are not that strong especially for things like that, i think if you move your head real fast or say you run a short distance like to catch a door before it closes, that looks like it might come off. I know the product isn't yours, i just wanted to comment on it though, haha. Hope no offense is taken.

I like the logo's you've come up with, i like the one that you posted where you worked with the designer (or the designer did?). The last one you did i mean.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Wow, brutal? Don't hold back! (No offense taken, promise).

As for your concerns, those are the first reactions of a lot of people. However, when they see the product, none of them are an issue when people actually buy them. First, the magnets are actually plenty strong; they've been designed and are patented for exactly this purpose (and those conditions). From a utility perspective, the magnets are rarely within the field of vision, so you don't see them, and they're not distracting to someone looking at you. In the end, it's a pretty innovative concept, and we already have some strong sales (and sales growth) to back that up. Demographically, the ages and genders are pretty even, so it's not just 75 year olds who used to wear wrap-arounds.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Oh ok, i guess it's just preference, i've had plenty of frames mostly designer ones because i've tried the generic ones early one when i was younger and that magnet one i had, i hated those frames. Must be just the stigma from that which lets me dislike the magnet innovation the way i do.

That's cool though, if the sales are good, obviously i gotta get over my dislike from my old pair with magnets.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Hey VCX:

Here's two pictures: the first with just the frames (and magnet embedded) and the second with the clip. This might also help to explain the dot in the box and how it's made to reference the lens.

phpfwinLX_600.jpg

phpBOtVYA_600.jpg

-Albert

Those are awesome! I would totally buy a pair of those! Normal clip ons are totally lame, I have yet to find a pair that look somewhat normal, those are just sweet! When/where are these available?!

I like the updated version of the logo, but honestly I kinda like Rynoz better :blush:

ABCJr.,

CHEMISTRIE_EX.jpg

Hey Rynoz:

Don't apologize and you're not stepping on toes. I appreciate the feedback and the effort you took to present an idea. I like the concept (crocodile aside).

As for the last version I posted, I think that's the version we're going with. We have multiple constituencies and several other constraints under which we're working. We have to take into account a variety of uses, printing and other issues that factor into the overall design concept. I'm sure it doesn't satisfy everyone, but I think it best communicates what we do.

-Albert

Albert,

I understand all the people and time involved. Glad you took the C&C so well. I am sure you will do well with what you have and it looks like a cool product.

Ryan

Hey All:

First, the product has been live for about a year, branded as Z-Clips (long story, but yikes). You can check out www.specticlips.com. If you're interested, we can make one for you, but you'd have to give up your glasses. The design is made specifically for each frame and matches your glasses and prescription.

And Ryan: not being able to accept feedback makes you unable to improve. So, you're always welcome to provide it, good and bad.

-Albert

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Archived