NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

at least buffalo will look nice for at least one game. as for the pens, they aren't too bad at least they didn't go with the powder blues with the diagonal lettering. these are a bit more tolerable.

thank B-i-G we won't be subject to the slug.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction of returning the Sabres vintage logo back into the primary uniform and identity and making the slug a third for next season.

From a business perspective, it would make sense and maximize revenue. It seems a lot of non-Sabres fans out there like the vintage look way more than the slug.

buffalo was tops sales with the slug, so that thing is here until 2016-17 if not longer. This will probably be the last we have seen of the vintage. course by 2016 the NHL will go the way of the IHL and the WPHL.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at least buffalo will look nice for at least one game. as for the pens, they aren't too bad at least they didn't go with the powder blues with the diagonal lettering. these are a bit more tolerable.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction of returning the Sabres vintage logo back into the primary uniform and identity and making the slug a third for next season.

From a business perspective, it would make sense and maximize revenue. It seems a lot of non-Sabres fans out there like the vintage look way more than the slug.

buffalo was tops sales with the slug, so that thing is here until 2016-17 if not longer. This will probably be the last we have seen of the vintage. course by 2016 the NHL will go the way of the IHL and the WPHL.

New uniform + good team = tops sales almost every time

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This may have been mentioned before, but... does anyone else see a problem with white vs. light blue in an outdoor game, where some spectators will be way up in the top deck, with a possibility of snow or bright sun?

Just seems like SOMEBODY should be wearing dark.

EDIT: Ew, I just noticed the "throwbacks" have an EDGE rounded hem in that illustration. *sigh*

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Why would the Sabres wear white? Confusing. Also, I really don't see the Pens wearing the baby blues. I'd expect Lemieux-era black and gold... you know, from the championship years.

I agree, though maybe the idea is to capture the teams image from when they first entered the NHL.

Pens_retro.gif

I honestly really like that Penguin jersey. Thats coming from a Pens fan of course.

I have a feeling that will be our 3rd jersey once they start rolling those out. It was supposed to be our 3rd back in the early 00's.

This may have been mentioned before, but... does anyone else see a problem with white vs. light blue in an outdoor game, where some spectators will be way up in the top deck, with a possibility of snow or bright sun?

Just seems like SOMEBODY should be wearing dark.

EDIT: Ew, I just noticed the "throwbacks" have an EDGE rounded hem in that illustration. *sigh*

That is a good point. I was thinking the same thing, but it looks like the blue might be dark enough. If it is close to the light blue the Titans wear then it should be fine.

Don't project where the logo will be 10 years from now based on one year of sales data...The Islanders fish stick logo jersey was the NHL's number four selling jersey in 1996.

I hope and pray as a Pens fan, they go back to the classic colors...of black and (yellow) gold...and we never see any color of blue. That is in the past where it should be left to rot. I don't know why they would want a completely different uniform as a third. There is no blue whatsoever in their set and there are NO good memories from those years. Take last years set and replace Vegas with yellow, add a yellow 3rd like in '84 and you got some nice unis.

KISSwall09.jpg

Why would the Sabres wear white? Confusing. Also, I really don't see the Pens wearing the baby blues. I'd expect Lemieux-era black and gold... you know, from the championship years.

I agree, though maybe the idea is to capture the teams image from when they first entered the NHL.

If thats the case they shouldve gone with these:

1.jpg

Now that would've been cool.

oBIgzrL.png

If thats the case they shouldve gone with these:

1.jpg

Now that would've been cool.

I love that striping pattern.

Don't project where the logo will be 10 years from now based on one year of sales data...The Islanders fish stick logo jersey was the NHL's number four selling jersey in 1996.

it took one year to get rid of the logo. sadly. people hated it from the get go so you knew that it wasn't going to last. yeah we were 4th in sales but thats no surprising when you can dog poo on a jersey and it would be tops in sales for a alittle bit. buffaslug however isn't going anywhere, we would have heard rumblings about change by now. so that thing isn't changing until 2016.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

OK. That shirt is OFFICIALY incredible! I wanna get one in a small (im 15 and standing at 5'3". Yes there are people in this world that are smaller than their age says they should be).

I think that the baby blues are actually the perfect uni for the winter classic. Baby blue to me is either a winter color or a mountains in Utah during winter color (hence the choice made by the Jazz. Yeah!)

Besides, those unis are among the top 5 vintage unis of all time to me. IDK so much about the Sabres cuz i really dont follow them and I dont see anything incredibly special in thier throwbacks but for some reason, whatever reason, the Pens' baby blues are stylin'. That logo on a baby blue t-shirt would look really cool.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

After seeing what the Penguins jerseys look like, I'm changing my mind. The Penguins look much better in yellow (or gold). Those powder blues just don't look good with a black and yellow logo. The Sabres, on the other hand, will look great for the game.

The outer ring is navy blue, not black, and the triangle was only gold during the blue era because the city is sometiems called the "Golden Triangle". Inconsistency aside, these are some of the best jerseys theyve worn, and though I sitll think they shouldve gone with cup-era jerseys, i'll at least have one of my small dreams of seeing the pens play in blue again at least once fulfilled.

What about the photo of the jersey from 2007... with the white text... was that recoloured from back and white too?

As I said above, the outer ring on the jersey is navy blue. So, considering the logo on the card not on the jersey is black, id just assume the card makers were being inaccurate or inconsistent.

Hockey cards and colour pictures from that era and earlier are notorious for being wrong. They coloured them by hand quite often and all kinds of mistakes exist.

As for the jerseys I prefer the first year pens with the ranger-esque script.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Archived