NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

Tim Horton approves

6052_1.JPGn310.JPG

I just have to bring that forward--I approve as well.

I'm not a big fan of theose Buffalo unis (or their current ones either), but the whites are better than the blues.

AND--I love those blue Penguins ones.

Too bad they changed colours.

(Yes I understand why & all--I don't need the lecture--I'm just saying I liked those ones and they shouldn't have changed.)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the Sabres will look good for this game, the uniform is incorrect. The Sabres never had a lace-up collar while also having the shoulder logos. The year the lace-up turned into a v-neck the shoulder logos appeared. I believe that they went to a v-neck and shoulder logos in the '78-'79 season. Also, the Sabres never wore socks like that. Actually, I always thought the socks should have looked like this but they never did. They were either a triple set of stripes or a double set, depending on the year. I think that change from three sets of blue-white-yellow-white-blue stripes to two sets happened in '78-'79 as well. These problems bother me, but the uniforms still look good, especially for an Edge.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the Pens unis, except for that I don't think they had names on the powder blue jerseys when the wore that design and logo. Didn't they have names on the whites but not the blues? That's a rather acceptable change though, considering having names is now a rule and they're going to want to put names on it to sell more jerseys. Though with white text on the powder blue it's going to be difficult to read in a football stadium.

• 1 month later...

for what its worth reviving this thread:

the pens held an open practice today in which they wore the pants, helmets, and gloves they will wear at the Winter Classic, giving us our first look at them in action.

sidretro1.jpg

SabouretroPractice.jpg

Sabourin's retro pads

sabouretromask.jpg

Sabourins special mask somewhat reminiscent of a pens mask form the past.....

goalieplasse.jpg

oBIgzrL.png

More teams should just wear tan pads and gloves. Some of the more modern designs are kind of distracting to my eyes. The Canadiens and Blackhawks could benefit from this look.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

While the Sabres will look good for this game, the uniform is incorrect. The Sabres never had a lace-up collar while also having the shoulder logos. The year the lace-up turned into a v-neck the shoulder logos appeared. I believe that they went to a v-neck and shoulder logos in the '78-'79 season. Also, the Sabres never wore socks like that. Actually, I always thought the socks should have looked like this but they never did. They were either a triple set of stripes or a double set, depending on the year. I think that change from three sets of blue-white-yellow-white-blue stripes to two sets happened in '78-'79 as well. These problems bother me, but the uniforms still look good, especially for an Edge.

agreed...it's a mish mash of every Sabres uni from 1970 - 1995, couldn't they just pick a year and go with it and get is accurate as possible, jeesh.

More teams should just wear tan pads and gloves. Some of the more modern designs are kind of distracting to my eyes. The Canadiens and Blackhawks could benefit from this look.

A lot of modern pad design is about exactly that-distracting the shooter's eye. Guys like Fleury wear garishly bright or striped pads to make the shooter look at the pads, and supposedly they will be more likely to subconsciously want to shoot at the pads. It's the same thing as the whole "symmetrical/target-like jersey crest" theory.

agreed...it's a mish mash of every Sabres uni from 1970 - 1995, couldn't they just pick a year and go with it and get is accurate as possible, jeesh.

These are NOT Edge jerseys. They are the classic models we have grown to miss. I have seen the replica's in person and they do not in any way, shape or form share an Edge cut.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Luongo would look killer in retro pads. His current blue and greens things are a nightmare.

DEATH TO REEBOK

When RBK designed the new lace up jerseys on the edge do you think they were made with the intention that fans could carry their car keys or lose change in that little pouch? That's what I do if I had one of those jerseys, just to make a point about the usefulness of it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Getting away from the jerseys' for a moment. They painted the face off circle logo yesterday. Cooooooooooooooooool!!!

WinterClassicLogoonice2.jpg

WinterClassicNHL2008.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Another detail worth mentionning is that the stripes will curve to follow the rounded cut at the waist.

It would make so much more sense to get rid of the stupid curved bottom - which is really just a relic of the tucked-in prototypes - but that would just signal defeat. The curved bottom looks terrible on any traditional style uniform with bottom hem stripes and it serves absolutely no purpose. Why can't they just fix that instead of adapting a classic uniform to a stupid template that no one likes.

arrrrrgggggh

DEATH TO REEBOK

Archived