NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I'd love to make a red-line pass at Jennifer Hanson. ;)

Pass attempted, got broken up at the blue line.

The Winnipeg music scene might have been a bit too closely-knit. At least it was 16 years ago.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Screen cap for the lazy:

jetsline.png

Yeah...that's pretty cool. (And Jennifer Hanson is quite attractive.)

Yes, Jennifer has nice Hansons to be certain. :hockeysmiley:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

IMO - DrBear has put up the best way to scout out pix, see his post on page 6.

DrBear's link - Winter Classic 2008

Here are some more current pix on the happenings with the rink.

Winterclassiczamboni2.jpg

Winterclassiczamboni.jpg

winterclassicDanCraigNHLFacilitiesO.jpg

WinterClassicnightshot.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I'm really looking forward to this game more than I thought I would.

HD, baby, HD!

Just checked my on-screen guide for the game tomorrow, and it said nothing about it being in HD. Surely the NHL wouldn't be THAT dumb, would they?

Well, this IS the NHL we're talking about...

I'm really looking forward to this game more than I thought I would.

HD, baby, HD!

Just checked my on-screen guide for the game tomorrow, and it said nothing about it being in HD. Surely the NHL wouldn't be THAT dumb, would they?

Well, this IS the NHL we're talking about...

Some of us live in Canada, where the CBC puts every game on in HD :D

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Why is the red line dashed again? I thought they made it solid when they got rid of 2-line passes....

Rule 5c is still on the books:

There shall also be a line, twelve inches (12") in width and red in color, drawn completely across the rink in center ice, parallel with the goal lines and continued vertically up the side of the boards, known as the "CENTER LINE". This line shall contain regular interval markings of a uniform distinctive design, which will readily distinguish it from the two blue lines... the outer edges of which must be continuous. (Paint code PMS 186)

My understanding is that the pattern on the red line is in part to help players or officials who are colour-blind; the shade of blue used for the blue lines has a heavy green component, and it would be plausible that a red-green colour-blind player might have trouble immediately distinguishing the lines. Since the red line is still used for icing purposes, it's still an important consideration.

We should start a separate thread with interesting red-line designs though...

That's odd, cuz the Hawks have had a solid red line at least since they started back up in 05. Here's a pic of the UC from that year:

16467_1.jpg

And it's still the same today (except now the stands are full :D )

Why is the red line dashed again? I thought they made it solid when they got rid of 2-line passes....

Rule 5c is still on the books:

There shall also be a line, twelve inches (12") in width and red in color, drawn completely across the rink in center ice, parallel with the goal lines and continued vertically up the side of the boards, known as the "CENTER LINE". This line shall contain regular interval markings of a uniform distinctive design, which will readily distinguish it from the two blue lines... the outer edges of which must be continuous. (Paint code PMS 186)

My understanding is that the pattern on the red line is in part to help players or officials who are colour-blind; the shade of blue used for the blue lines has a heavy green component, and it would be plausible that a red-green colour-blind player might have trouble immediately distinguishing the lines. Since the red line is still used for icing purposes, it's still an important consideration.

We should start a separate thread with interesting red-line designs though...

That's odd, cuz the Hawks have had a solid red line at least since they started back up in 05. Here's a pic of the UC from that year:

16467_1.jpg

And it's still the same today

Your allowed to use either of them now that the two line pass has been eliminated. Some teams switched back over to the solid line after the lockout ended and there are still a fair number of teams that havent.

What irks me is how all across the league, no teams logo is drawn over the red line. So for every team that uses a single center ice logo, all of them have a thin white border between the logo and the red line. You see it in the Winter Classic logo, in that Blackhawks logo above and every other city, and in all cases I think it looks like crap.

Some of the more modern designs are kind of distracting to my eyes.

That would be the idea.

frozen_inside123107.jpg

Looks like Spacek is our captain for January, with Hecht and Pominville with the As.

Also the NHL Network is replaying their preview show for the Winter Classic as we speak. Well in the US anyway.

What irks me is how all across the league, no teams logo is drawn over the red line. So for every team that uses a single center ice logo, all of them have a thin white border between the logo and the red line. You see it in the Winter Classic logo, in that Blackhawks logo above and every other city, and in all cases I think it looks like crap.

I don't believe a center ice logo is allowed to be drawn over the redline. The redline is still used for detirmining icing and as such has to be there in full so the linesmen can tell if the puck is across before it is dumped in. Especially since now you aren't allowed to change lines after an icing.

I know I am in the minority here but those Penguins jerseys are cool but dopey. They should be wearing the 2X Stanley Cup jerseys. I get that it's the winter classic but both teams in blueish is weird. The Pens jerseys were going to be a big hit either way because of Sid and they should be in black and yellow. To me, this is an opportunity lost.

BCBannersSig.png

When I see the Sabres in thoses jersey's, I can't believe we're going to see the Bufflaslug again. IMO the sabres are looking way better in those retro ones. Also, I agree that the Pens should drop the blue powder for eternity and go with the yellow all the way.

It's the same thing for the canucks. Their colors have to be gold, red/brown and black. There were great hockey teams, with king Brodeur in the V era, smyl, and Bure in the cup run later. That is what the Canucks should look. Anyway those colors were great looking and unique in the league.

Back to the outdoor game, I'm looking to see if the jersey that Sid will be wearing will go to the classic auctions.

Archived