The new, more aerodynamic NFL Draft

TFoA

wtf?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3075663

PHILADELPHIA -- The NFL on Tuesday cut from 15 minutes to 10 the time between picks in the first round of its draft after a 2007 record round of 6 hours and 8 minutes.

It also moved the starting time of the draft from noon ET to 3 p.m. and limited the first day to two rounds instead of three.

"We believe this will make for a more streamlined and efficient draft," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement issued during the league owners meetings.

The change also applied to the second round, which will go from 10 minutes to seven between choices for next year's draft, which will be held April 26-27 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

In recent years, teams have often used most of the 15 minutes in the first round, entertaining trade offers or making them.

The time between picks will stay at five minutes for the last five rounds, which will take place on Sunday. That session will start at 10 a.m. instead of 11. Both draft days will be televised by ESPN and the NFL Network.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Okay, this isn't the first time it's happened, so I'll explain what happened to me with this thread so maybe we can learn from it. I was posting a new topic, "The new, more aerodynamic NFL Draft." I clicked "Post Topic." I got one of those error pages that either means you're not connected to the internet, or the site is experiencing difficulties. I came back here, saw that the topic had not posted, and decided to say "screw it." I didn't feel like typing out the whole shebang again, and I didn't do anything. Apparently, the topic was just in internet limbo, and decided to post, but with none of the accompanying text. Is this what's happened on the few other occassions we've gotten a topic posted with no lead post? Weird.

The draft is now a 'geared for TV' event. One of the first things Goodell mentioned when this subject was brought up was television. Kinda sad, eh?

Agreed. The draft is fairly unwatchable, but if the league feels that 15 minutes is needed, than that is what it should have. It's about getting the right players, not about TV viewability.

I never understood the 15 minutes, but I am sure it was there for a reason.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The draft is now a 'geared for TV' event. One of the first things Goodell mentioned when this subject was brought up was television. Kinda sad, eh?

Agreed. The draft is fairly unwatchable, but if the league feels that 15 minutes is needed, than that is what it should have. It's about getting the right players, not about TV viewability.

15 minutes is too much, I think. The only argument I can see would be for fielding trade offers, but each team should know who they'll take in any situation. If what the coaches and GMs say is true, they draft the "best player available" in most situations, and even if you're not drafting the best available player period, regardless of need, the way teams prepare, you don't need 15 minutes to say "well, we were prepared to take D-lineman X, but Franchise Quarterback Y is still on the board. How's our QB situation? Our guy is aging, and we aren't in love with the current backups? Okay, Franchise Quarterback Y it is." It's not like they would have never scouted the QB, expecting him to be gone much earlier, and need that time to watch some tape. If anything, teams probably talk themselves out of moves in those extra 5 minutes, or talk themselves into stupid ones.

I have it on good authority that the Rams like to burn their 1st rounder on the guy whose scouting report gets hit the most out of a set of 100 darts thrown at random while blindfolded. It takes time, like 15 minutes, to throw all those darts/make sure the firing range is clear.

Seriously? I don't know why they decided on 15. Maybe there was less accessible data to work on in the past.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

15 minutes is too much, I think. The only argument I can see would be for fielding trade offers, but each team should know who they'll take in any situation. If what the coaches and GMs say is true, they draft the "best player available" in most situations, and even if you're not drafting the best available player period, regardless of need, the way teams prepare, you don't need 15 minutes to say "well, we were prepared to take D-lineman X, but Franchise Quarterback Y is still on the board. How's our QB situation? Our guy is aging, and we aren't in love with the current backups? Okay, Franchise Quarterback Y it is." It's not like they would have never scouted the QB, expecting him to be gone much earlier, and need that time to watch some tape. If anything, teams probably talk themselves out of moves in those extra 5 minutes, or talk themselves into stupid ones.

Points worth considering. However, I hope those points were used in the decision as opposed to a desire to increase TV ratings.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Trade offers aside, don't most of these teams know who they're going to take before the draft starts?

Most of us fantasy football geeks can get through an entire first round in under 15 minutes. :P

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Seriously? I don't know why they decided on 15. Maybe there was less accessible data to work on in the past.

I can explain - back in the old days, occasionally someone who was drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft would opt to go for their graduate degree, or enter another career field than pro football (hard to imagine now, yeah, I know).

The 15 minute clock was intended to give a team making a first-round choice the opportunity to pick up a telephone and call their intended pick, asking them their plans (most teams didn't talk to collegiate players prior to drafting them back then). If the kid showed an interest in playing in the NFL, they took him. If not, they had time to call, then pick, someone else.

nav-logo.png

Archived