Business Card for Travel Agency

VC//

So i did this business card for a friend for his Travel Company, he's happy with his card and that's basically all that matters. But i'd like to know how others felt about it. The client wanted the world is yours type of deal from Scarface for a logo and what not...

Too lazy to open illustrator but i centered the name and what not on the back of the card and the front "Luxury Travel for Less" is moved up closer to TRAVEL...but you get the jist of it, hopefully.

NC-TRAVEL-FINAL-NAVID1.jpg

2.jpg

Not that your client would notice, but there's some serious kerning issues between the V's and A's. That happens from using basic PC fonts like Century Gothic, which were designed to be knockoffs, not perfectly constructed typefaces. The numbers also have serifs, and appear to be a different font entirely.

Overall, it's a safe design, but boring: logo on left, info on the right, customer name/slogan centered on back. You could do the same thing with one of those automatic business card machines at the mall.

I think the logo is too dark to work as a watermark, but it might just be the screen representation.

Bottom line: if the client is happy, then it serves its purpose, and go with it. But as a designer critiquing this work, I'd say those were flaws.

I tried to show them the font i wanted to use but they insisted on the fonts they had picked out. Trust me, i tried. I even had the TWIY part wrapped properly and they said no i want it flat with the font we picked.

You have no idea how many things i've done for them that ended up being boring when it started out being creative where people that i showed that are graphic designers said was great. I haven't done any graphic design work in years and am just starting to do it freelance again....i am getting over the designing for myself bit to design for the client and yeah, you end up with what i just posted in the OP.

I knew it was flawed, and yeah the client likes it...as a designer, i hated the fact that i had to change it so much that it looked soo boring and generic almost.

I tried to show them the font i wanted to use but they insisted on the fonts they had picked out. Trust me, i tried. I even had the TWIY part wrapped properly and they said no i want it flat with the font we picked.

You have no idea how many things i've done for them that ended up being boring when it started out being creative where people that i showed that are graphic designers said was great. I haven't done any graphic design work in years and am just starting to do it freelance again....i am getting over the designing for myself bit to design for the client and yeah, you end up with what i just posted in the OP.

I knew it was flawed, and yeah the client likes it...as a designer, i hated the fact that i had to change it so much that it looked soo boring and generic almost.

There are two types of clients:

The first is smart enough to know that he can't do the work himself but is stupid enough to think that he knows what's best.

The second is smart enough to know that he can't do the work himself and smart enough to trust his designer to know what's best.

This is where the designer has to make a choice and decide whether the money or the satisfaction is more important. If a client tries to push me around, I just say no and walk away. I know that there are other clients who trust my judgment and want me to do more than trace their doodle or put their ideas into Illustrator. I'm all for letting the client do some thinking, marketing and research, but I simply won't let a client say to me, "No, this has to be done my way. It has to look like this. This will look better." in regards to an aesthetic decision. Call me stubborn, and yeah, I'll lose some business because of it, but I don't want to work with clients who try to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. You know, I studied this for the better part of a decade for a reason, and I think I know how to do my job and how to do it well. The bottom line is I won't put something out that I'm not happy with, no matter how much money it's worth.

it seems like the world is not theirs. just the americas, africa and parts of southern asia. indeed europe is nowhere to be seen!

the alignment of the front of the cards is poor. they are so close in length, you should have made them all justified centre.

and as 22 says, tra and vel look like separate words.

did they print okay? tonaly the blue and grey are very close.

Overall, it's a safe design, but boring: logo on left, info on the right, customer name/slogan centered on back. You could do the same thing with one of those automatic business card machines at the mall.

You call that boring, I call it good business card design. For practical applications -- scanning, sorting, importing info, basic design is essential. It's the overly cute designs that create a lot more hassle than they're worth. Yes, a good looking business card will get you noticed, but if the info is just scanned into Outlook anyway, clever designs just end up creating a lot of extra headache.

it seems like the world is not theirs. just the americas, africa and parts of southern asia. indeed europe is nowhere to be seen!

the alignment of the front of the cards is poor. they are so close in length, you should have made them all justified centre.

and as 22 says, tra and vel look like separate words.

did they print okay? tonaly the blue and grey are very close.

It's what they wanted, i tried to sit infront of them and show them different styles that worked a lot better and they said no, the globe i had as real as possible for the outlines of the continents and they said that looked cluttered, lol.

There are some clients that are more open and then some clients that are just soo anal about everything being their own way that you wonder why the hell don't they just do it themselves then, instead of using me to do it for them for crap that i don't even like myself.

But as my instructor once told me 6yrs ago...you don't design it for you, you design it for them...you have to let that go. They printed ok, the client loves it, which is i guess in the end the point of doing all of this right?

Ah well.

There are some clients that are more open and then some clients that are just soo anal about everything being their own way that you wonder why the hell don't they just do it themselves then, instead of using me to do it for them for crap that i don't even like myself.

ive been working in motion graphics/ animation/ special fx for nearly 5 years now. i have had clients like you couldnt even imagine. and when im finished this job working for the c**ts at a certain large japanese electronics comapny, ill tell you (complete with animated annotation) some stories.

Haha, nice.

I studied graphic design right out of highschool and then went full steam into architecture and interior design...i didn't touch graphic design work aside from screwing around with logo's and what not for myself as well as applying to do presentations for like 7 years. Suddenly this year i've been doing a lot of club flyers, company branding and business cards amongst other things for friends (and friends of friends...word of mouth) and i started to remember the stuff my instructor told me, about how clients will never want what you like, even if it is the best option. They would rather have what they envision done, even if you notice how bad it is.

It's annoying...but i'd rather get back into it freelance and work on my skills with the programs out right now. Even if it means i have to take on clients that know jack **** about design and the aesthetics of logo's and word marks.

But i'm looking forward to hearing the stories Davidson.

Archived