The Edge revolt continues

Sodboy13

As mentioned in today's Uni Watch, several players on the Rangers have apparently taken the step of having the hemlines of their jerseys re-done to combat the ridiculous "shirttail" look. Good on 'em. The more of this type of thing I see, the more I can't help but think the Edge is going to get quite the overhaul for '08-'09, and that the end result will look and feel suspiciously like a 2006 jersey with a higher retail price.

fullj.getty-76074659bb007_new_york_rang.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that looks so much better. The players have all done exactly what we thought they would do. They ordered bigger jerseys so they don't have to wear a long sleeve soccer jersey and now they're cutting off that ridiculous flap. The jerseys are also responding how many of us predicted they would, less friction for on ice falls and increased sweat and wetness (the opposite of what they were supposed to do). You can't evolve an entire sports uniform technology in one offseason, it takes years. Football jerseys are small because they've been on a consistent shrink for 15 years. The NFL didn't decide one year that players needed to look faster and thus mandate tighter uniforms, it just happened. So far these new uniforms are a disaster and is anyone actually buying any?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well, to that extent, we may never get a clear answer, because there are enough teams that changed their designs, and enough sheep fans who will lay down their money - good design or not - simply because it's new. (See Sabres, Buffalo, 2006.)

I can offer this, though: I had some time to kill after working Sunday, so I stopped by HawkQuarters, and asked the guy how the new Edge jerseys were selling. "Pretty good," he told me. "We've sold 2 already today." Maybe that's good by Hawks standards, who knows. But this was at 3pm on a gorgeous 80-degree Sunday, when the Mag Mile was packed with tourists and shoppers. He also told me that they were looking forward to having a much bigger stock of game-worn jerseys, because the new Edge sweaters can't stand as much wear and tear as the old ones, and players are already requesting more jerseys than last season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm pretty sure that "shirttail" look is the result of RBK initial desire to have those uniforms tucked in...and the NHLPA squashed it...it was too late to re-cut them so they let them go like that.

One of the big rumors and reasons about the slug being drawn up was that it was a smaller logo that would still be visible if still tucked in. It can't be proven but the logic of it makes sense now that we know what RBK had for an agenda since that these pieces of crap jerseys have been launched into service.

And about the jerseys not being durable enough...Does RBK charge for the replacements? When does the NHL step in and demand RBK shore up the durability of the new sweaters?

This is an uber debacle if you ask me.

So far these new uniforms are a disaster and is anyone actually buying any?

Well, I'm not actually buying any yet, but I am saving up in order to purchase a red Capitals authentic. Though I would probably have done that regardless of the Edge system, as it's a new look for my team.

Now, what player should I get? Ovechkin seems obvious, but I don't like being obvious, and besides I have a Black Ovechkin replica (I regard it as his 'rookie' jersey, but I'm not sure if I need to get me a patch for it.)

is anyone actually buying any?

That's the question I want answered.

We may well see the Edge jersey go the way of Cooperalls, but only if they fail to sell.

Apparently some people are buying them. Such as that dude behind the glass in the picture.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

We may well see the Edge jersey go the way of Cooperalls, but only if they fail to sell.

Apparently some people are buying them. Such as that dude behind the glass in the picture.

He's been photoshopped in there.

:P

So far these new uniforms are a disaster and is anyone actually buying any?

Well, I'm not actually buying any yet, but I am saving up in order to purchase a red Capitals authentic. Though I would probably have done that regardless of the Edge system, as it's a new look for my team.

Don't do it, man! I mean, the new Caps uniforms are dreadful enough that you wouldn't want to be seen wearing one anyway, but at least wait until next season to send a message to the NHL about the Edge unis! :P

(Actually, I just saw my first RBK Caps jersey in the flesh Monday, and I was decidedly underwhelmed. The cool alt-logo patches, the one good thing about the uniform? They're printed. Rather, they're printed onto a piece of tackle-twill, and then that is sewn on. Not composed of several layers of tackle-twill, nor embroidered, but screen printed. Terrible.)

20082614447.png

Well, don't shoot me, but I have a Caps red Rbk jersey. I was exited by the new look, and was also hoping to have fun with the new cut, because I was kind of tired of the bag style.

Now I realize that these new jerseys are not correct in a lot of points. For example, when I put my arms in the air while wearing the RBK, the sleeves are so poorly designed that all my jersey is moving on the body. The tail is also completely incorrect, but, like said, the problem occur on teams with striping most.

I put an old baggy style jersey on me last night and I feel comfortable in a moment.

So I'm looking very closely at what will happen, especially with the Rangers doing this.

You know, I'd love to see a b-school case study here. I mean, I'm sure the NHL is getting a good financial deal from RBK. But there are times when there are more important things in a business relationship than dollars. By making an all-at-once switch to Reebok, the NHL has given up significant leverage. Giving up that kind of leverage to a single-source supplier means giving up control over your own operations. Sometimes that will be a smart tradeoff. But I suspect this is not such a case: the NHL's surrender of leverage has essentially eliminated any possibility of real accountability for Reebok if their radical equipment changes are not fantastic in every way.

I mean, imagine a car company striking a deal with Goodyear to be the sole supplier of tires for new autos. Given the right financial terms, that would probably be a sensible move. But making Goodyear your sole supplier of tires for new vehicles at the same time Goodyear decides to revolutionize tire design with an untested new ultra-thin, helium-filled tire that's not compatible with your existing wheel assemblies? Not such a great idea.

I just can't imagine any serious executive team looking at Reebok's plan and not pushing for a limited relationship -- as in, certain teams will implement the new jerseys over a phased period leading to full adoption if the new equipment meets certain standards of performance and benchmarks of fan interest over time. For any revolutionary change in your supply chain, or new vendor, you absolutely need a walk-away option. I don't see how the NHL has a walk-away option here, and that puts Reebok in control of the relationship.

What it boils down to is that it's one thing to put all your eggs in one basket. It's another to put all your eggs in someone else's basket.

20082614447.png

He's been photoshopped in there. :P

photoshops.png

And about the jerseys not being durable enough...Does RBK charge for the replacements? When does the NHL step in and demand RBK shore up the durability of the new sweaters?

The Wings' TV guys have been talking about how there will be a more durable version available in about a month. Interesting that they took a year to make these, somehow miss the durability problem, and then can have a new version out in a matter of weeks.

You know, I'd love to see a b-school case study here. I mean, I'm sure the NHL is getting a good financial deal from RBK. But there are times when there are more important things in a business relationship than dollars.

You know, I'm not actually sure that the NHL is getting that good a financial deal from RBK. The way this league has been run lately, I can't say as I have any faith in their business acumen.

Archived