The Edge revolt continues

Sodboy13

And to think I once wondered whether the NLL might eventually bring RBK Edge jerseys to box lacrosse (since the jerseys they have now are basically hockey jerseys anyway). I think I know the answer to that question now.

Isn't the NLL in lockout? Shame, cause I enjoyed seeing the Wings on Versus.

Not anymore!

They came to a new agreement yesterday between the league and players!

we'll still see the NLL in 08!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of things I'd like to mention here...

One is that I think the deal between the NHL and Reebok is, as has been hinted at in here, a case of taking the money from the only one offering you any money. The NHL doesn't have a lot of suitors. Nobody is drooling all over themselves to supply the NHL with uniforms, or a TV contract, or pretty much anything. That creates a perfect environment for Reebok to walk in and say "Hey, how'd you like a big pile of cash? We just have one requirement... you have to do things OUR way!" It's a big pile of cash... and nobody is offering any other piles of cash... how could the NHL have said no? They don't have the luxury of doing business from a position of power. Did Reebok screw up? Probably. But they could afford to, because it's just the NHL... it's not like they screwed up the NFL or something. IMO, Reebok held all the power in this relationship from the day they walked in to the NHL offices.

Secondly, on a more personal level, I'm just getting tired of the constant jabs at Sabres fans. I'm sure it's fun to pick on what you perceive to be the easy target... but if you lived in the area you'd know that things like "having to support the team or you might lose them" are an economic reality. I'd have to say nobody expects the NFL to still be in Buffalo 10 years from now, so you'll have to forgive the fans if they mistakenly think buying a jersey will help keep the same thing from happening to their hockey team... which by the way was dangerously close to leaving town just a couple years back. But I'm sure none of that matters... "lol buffalo fans are stupid they buy the slug ha ha ha" and all. *sigh* Did I hate it at first? Of course. Do I think it's bad? Yep. Do I wear "slug" merchandise? Almost every day. Because it's hockey season, and I didn't pick my team because of their logo. I enjoy talking about sports aesthetics, but when it comes down to it, my sports fan side and my sports aesthetics snob side do not overlap at all. Anyway, I was avoiding this place for the last couple of months because of that, and I was sad to come back the last week or so and find that "argument" still going on.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Interesting take.

You're right that the NFL has screwed itself out of an ability to get a decent deal, but every new bad deal they make only harms their brand further, which damages their ability to get a decent deal so they sign a bad one, which harms their brand further and so on.

The NHL ought to consider itself fortunate that the only league with management less competent than its own is MLS, or hockey would have come back from its lockout to find itself permanently ensconsed as the fifth major sport.

Oh, I completely agree, Goth. That's exactly what I think is happening. It's the old downward spiral, and they're finding it difficult to pull out of it... and I'm not entirely sure they WILL ever be able to pull out of it, even if they were to put some competent decision makers at the helm at this late a date. Nobody there seems to have the balls to take the short term financial and PR hits that come with making the tough decisions that have the best chance at ensuring the long term viability of the league. The Reebok deal is just the most visible indication of this. They're looking for short term salvation rather than long term viability.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Secondly, the aesthetics of these jerseys are, I believe, detrimental to the league's image. Teams are scrapping their individual identities in some instances for bland templating which accentuates manufacturer over team or league. And the shirttail design, while just looking out-and-out silly, also seems to be causing more bunching up and unintended tucking in. Not only does this make for a sloppy look, it also does quite an effective job of obscuring a player's number.

I agree 110%

Stars-NorthStarsJerseys.png

The NHL doesn't have a lot of suitors. Nobody is drooling all over themselves to supply the NHL with uniforms, or a TV contract, or pretty much anything. That creates a perfect environment for Reebok to walk in and say "Hey, how'd you like a big pile of cash? We just have one requirement... you have to do things OUR way!" It's a big pile of cash... and nobody is offering any other piles of cash... how could the NHL have said no?

When the current uniform supplier deal for the NHL was signed Reebok wasn't in the hockey business. The Hockey Company (CCM, Koho, Jofa, etc.) crafted a 10 year exclusive deal with the NHL for uniforms to players and officials just a half season removed from the demise of Pro Player. Pro Player was an exclusive supplier to 15 teams of the NHL. The Hockey Company exclusively supplied the top 15 highest grossing teams in the league. Pro Player started to hemmorage money, declared bankruptcy and its assets were quietly divided. No fanfare and little notice. The NHL pooped in their pajamas thinking "Holy Fack, we're in trouble!" The Hockey Company stepped up and offered a 10% premium per year for 10 years with full exclusiveity. The NHL jumped and were happy to get the money guaranteed over the long term. They thought they hit paydirt.

Now, along comes Reebok and says "Rbk ain't be being on no ice, y'all. Rbk be wanting to be getting down out on da ice, y'all!" It was always disconcerting to hear Reebok talk about himself in the third person, especially on game days. Anyways, I digress... Reebok purchases The Hockey Company two years into a ten year jersey deal. Reebok gets instant uniform contract and it takes two seasons before they can collectively decide how to fack up hockey jerseys.

The NHL may have been a bit desperate and The Hockey Company probably lowballed them on their way to a ten year exclusive contract. The Hockey Company probably wouldn't have done too many stupid things on their own to ruin jerseys but once Reebok was in control the hockey uniform as we knew it was living on borrowed time. They had free lisence to attempt to push technological boundaries as well as profit margins so they used mentally unstable reasoning in the areas of piping application, hemlines and the usage of templates in their quest to ruin another pro league's uniforms.

And to think I once wondered whether the NLL might eventually bring RBK Edge jerseys to box lacrosse (since the jerseys they have now are basically hockey jerseys anyway). I think I know the answer to that question now.

Isn't the NLL in lockout? Shame, cause I enjoyed seeing the Wings on Versus.

Not anymore!

They came to a new agreement yesterday between the league and players!

we'll still see the NLL in 08!

Sweet!

The NHL doesn't have a lot of suitors. Nobody is drooling all over themselves to supply the NHL with uniforms, or a TV contract, or pretty much anything. That creates a perfect environment for Reebok to walk in and say "Hey, how'd you like a big pile of cash? We just have one requirement... you have to do things OUR way!" It's a big pile of cash... and nobody is offering any other piles of cash... how could the NHL have said no?

When the current uniform supplier deal for the NHL was signed Reebok wasn't in the hockey business. The Hockey Company (CCM, Koho, Jofa, etc.) crafted a 10 year exclusive deal with the NHL for uniforms to players and officials just a half season removed from the demise of Pro Player. Pro Player was an exclusive supplier to 15 teams of the NHL. The Hockey Company exclusively supplied the top 15 highest grossing teams in the league. Pro Player started to hemmorage money, declared bankruptcy and its assets were quietly divided. No fanfare and little notice. The NHL pooped in their pajamas thinking "Holy Fack, we're in trouble!" The Hockey Company stepped up and offered a 10% premium per year for 10 years with full exclusiveity. The NHL jumped and were happy to get the money guaranteed over the long term. They thought they hit paydirt.

Now, along comes Reebok and says "Rbk ain't be being on no ice, y'all. Rbk be wanting to be getting down out on da ice, y'all!" It was always disconcerting to hear Reebok talk about himself in the third person, especially on game days. Anyways, I digress... Reebok purchases The Hockey Company two years into a ten year jersey deal. Reebok gets instant uniform contract and it takes two seasons before they can collectively decide how to fack up hockey jerseys.

The NHL may have been a bit desperate and The Hockey Company probably lowballed them on their way to a ten year exclusive contract. The Hockey Company probably wouldn't have done too many stupid things on their own to ruin jerseys but once Reebok was in control the hockey uniform as we knew it was living on borrowed time. They had free lisence to attempt to push technological boundaries as well as profit margins so they used mentally unstable reasoning in the areas of piping application, hemlines and the usage of templates in their quest to ruin another pro league's uniforms.

for which they should be lynched.

SabreGuy, wear it with pride (even if it is on your head like Barney there).

If the Cubs changed to a logo I hated, I wouldn't buy it. But you raise a good point when you suggest that if the future of the team is at stake it'd be different.

Maybe slightly o/t, but one of the things that always tickes me off, is teams that refuse to sell their old logo'd uni's/items. As an example, when I went to Anaheim Stadium, I wanted an old (1960's) LA Angels cap (the one with a halo - I had one when I was a kid), but the team store only sold the current look. I know you can get that stuff online, but why would I order something like that after the fact? I wanted a souvineer from my trip...

At least as a Cubs fan, I know I can always get older logo'd merchandise at Wrigely if the Cubs ever adopt a logo I don't like. I assume the same is true for Sabres fans (since they wore an alt with the old logo last year). At least you have that option, if you don't like the current look (and can still "support" the team), no?

Moose

is anyone actually buying any?

That's the question I want answered.

We may well see the Edge jersey go the way of Cooperalls, but only if they fail to sell.

Apparently some people are buying them. Such as that dude behind the glass in the picture.

I was at the Bruins game on Thursday against the blackhawks and although there were not many people in the stands (Sox were playing that night), I saw lot's of people with the new Bruins jerseys. Granted, they are probably the best of the new designs, but I saw lot's of them around.....

Reebok is going to give the players a choice now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/hockeyblog

Reebok issued a statement concerning their new uniforms that are being used in the NHL this season: It reads as follows:

After working with NHL players, teams, and equipment managers to gather feedback on the Rbk Edge uniform system, Reebok has decided to provide an alternative jersey to the players who request it.

Many NHL players are satisfied with the current Rbk Edge jersey, but since the start of the season we have received player feedback about the jersey?s moisture management and durability. Based on this feedback, Reebok will provide players with the option to wear a version with slight sizing and fabrication adjustments.

In the alternate version, one fabric has been replaced with an air-knit fabric and the bead-away water repellency technology has been removed. Both jerseys will continue to offer up to four performance materials, including Reebok's PlayDry moisture-wicking technology and a stretch mesh for increased range of motion and ventilation.

Reebok is going to give the players a choice now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/hockeyblog

Reebok issued a statement concerning their new uniforms that are being used in the NHL this season: It reads as follows:

After working with NHL players, teams, and equipment managers to gather feedback on the Rbk Edge uniform system, Reebok has decided to provide an alternative jersey to the players who request it.

Many NHL players are satisfied with the current Rbk Edge jersey, but since the start of the season we have received player feedback about the jersey?s moisture management and durability. Based on this feedback, Reebok will provide players with the option to wear a version with slight sizing and fabrication adjustments.

In the alternate version, one fabric has been replaced with an air-knit fabric and the bead-away water repellency technology has been removed. Both jerseys will continue to offer up to four performance materials, including Reebok's PlayDry moisture-wicking technology and a stretch mesh for increased range of motion and ventilation.

In other words, "we'll let you wear plain old shirts like you always wore, they'll just have the RBK look and label."

:rolleyes:

I don't have anything interesting/new to add, except for my personal account, which you may or may not care about:

I picked up a blank replica EDGE Pens jersey for $120 with the intention of getting it customized later. It fits me much better than any of the old sweaters ever did and is way more comfortable. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase. I didn't buy it just because it was new, and I would never pay more than $200 for a jersey. I honest-to-god enjoy the look and feel of it. If they end up being scrapped, I'll be happy to own and wear an incredibly comfortable piece of hockey trivia.

Obviously it's way more important that the players, not the fans, feel comfortable in them, but there you go.

Archived