Why is Willie Mays Catch So Good?

ShinyHubCaps

He ran about a mile and caught the ball then he turned around and threw a rope back to the infield to keep the runners where they were. The Polo Grounds were ridiculously deep in center. What made the catch great is this, Willie Mays is probably the only player who would have even made that play.

Youth is wasted on the young.

BB52Big.jpg

Granted, Jim Edmonds is practically a god to me, but his catch IS the best catch I've ever seen. In fact, it's what made him my favorite player back when it happened.

He may be a prick, as I've heard, but he was nice enough to sign my baseball.

I've heard he's a prick as well, but typically from other teams' fans. Just like how I can't stand Zambrano, but I think he'd look good with the birds on the bat! :)

There are 4 Edmonds catches (yes this is homerism, but I know his stuff better) that I always remember that I think were harder skill wise, but not as good when them moment is considered. His over the head dive in Anaheim, the dive in the 05 NLCS, the dive up the hill in houston, and a catch about 3 feet behind the wall against Cindy. There are also others like the guy who ran through the wall in the minors, the climbing the wall in japan, kevin mitchell (I think, david wright also did this) catching a pop fly barehanded, and a bunch of others. I think all those catches are more difficult and when taken on their own without considering opponents or game magnitude. I've caught balls like Willie Mays did (over the head, back to the plate, in catchers gear and a dive at that) and while difficult, its not impossible. Of course the couple times I did that, my slow ass should have been able to camp under the ball, and the games were either Legion, HS, or men's baseball...so not a whole lot of pressure. I still think adding in the dive, climbing the wall, or barehanded is a bit more impressive when everything is equal. But the over the head catch is definatly a thing of beauty no matter if its a shortstop or a centerfielder.

I believe the runners did advance (or at least the runner at second did) however from that distance the runner could normally tag at second and score. Mays made a great through in to only hold him at third. Still as other have said the distance and the throw along with the situation made it the all-time great catch.

There are also others like the guy who ran through the wall in the minors, the climbing the wall in japan, kevin mitchell (I think, david wright also did this) catching a pop fly barehanded, and a bunch of others.

Well... it can't be this one, right? :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AfxoOSygLak

That's the one! And now I realized that he actually missed the ball... I always thought he caught it.

I saw the same show in question. It was 15 minutes of spectacular football catch after spectacular football catch. People bobbling balls, catching off of other people, catching through other people's legs, and all kinds of incredible stuff. And then, with much fanfare, a simple black and white shot of Mays is number 2. In context, it really didn't look all that great. Plus, it was a Fox Sports presentation, so I think you appreciate just how well they didn't set it up.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

He ran about a mile and caught the ball then he turned around and threw a rope back to the infield to keep the runners where they were. The Polo Grounds were ridiculously deep in center. What made the catch great is this, Willie Mays is probably the only player who would have even made that play.

...and senility is wasted on the old. ^_^

...because I said that they did not set it up at all, only that it said "World Series" for the location.

They didn't set up the situation at which it happened. They didn't show him running a mile. They just showed the below average catch, completely out of context, and a shaky throw toward the infield. It was the people here that helped explain the context, which is (where I suspected) the truth would be revealed.

...and senility is wasted on the old. ^_^

...because I said that they did not set it up at all, only that it said "World Series" for the location.

They didn't set up the situation at which it happened. They didn't show him running a mile. They just showed the below average catch, completely out of context, and a shaky throw toward the infield. It was the people here that helped explain the context, which is (where I suspected) the truth would be revealed.

Fair enough. I was just kidding with the youth thing by the way. Glad you could learn a little about the old days.

BB52Big.jpg

Ha, I was just playing too. After 10 years I finally get emoticons.

Anyway, baseball is great with its history; sadly, the history has been ruined by steroids, and of course relatively little history through the 1950s was even televised, and even less available today. I understand that they didn't even get the whole thing on camera, but I'm especially upset that they didn't set it up at all on the program.

And that goes back to "great" or "significant" catches vs. "spectacular" catches. It could easily be on the list of "spectacular" catches, but further down.

Anyway, thanks for explaining it to me.

I can't add much more to what has been said on the Catch. But one last thing, this was the first of its kind to be seen on national television. Never before on a nationally televised game had such a play occurred on such a stage.

Oh and since we're talking amazing catches....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwuWPRG72ZY

See? That's from the same show in question. You see that in a series of other catches just as spectacular. And then, after a commercial break, you see Willie Mays, presented in two seconds, catching a ball and making an awkward-looking throw. Therein is why the original post exists. And having seen the same show, I totally see where he is coming from.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I would say Mays' catch was really good, great at the time. Over all of the years gone by, there are there are better ones.

From the same show... I think Jeter's catch down the 3rd base line was not that spectacular. He made a running catch and (to me) could have slid or something to prevent himself from diving in to the seats. I get the feeling that because "he is who he is"...it gets played up like something more spectacular than it really is.

I can't add much more to what has been said on the Catch. But one last thing, this was the first of its kind to be seen on national television. Never before on a nationally televised game had such a play occurred on such a stage.

Oh and since we're talking amazing catches....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwuWPRG72ZY

See? That's from the same show in question. You see that in a series of other catches just as spectacular. And then, after a commercial break, you see Willie Mays, presented in two seconds, catching a ball and making an awkward-looking throw. Therein is why the original post exists. And having seen the same show, I totally see where he is coming from.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that they could have covered it better than that. The tool host of the show said "What's amazing is that he threw it back to the infield." Out of context... yeah.

And ^that play^ was #7 on the Most Spectacular Baseball Plays and #3 on the Most Spectacular Catches. So Willie Mays' catch, by association, is marginally more spectacular than that one.

If you've ever seen footage of the Polo Grounds...the "over rated" idea would change..man, what a ballpark...

I agree with you. I played "in Polo Grounds" using several PC games since Hardball 4 to this date. And I saw several documentaries about baseball, the ballpark in question is really huge.

As The Flame of Atlanta here said: Running to the deepest part of probably the deepest CF in MLB history + over the head catch + incredible arm to keep the runners from advancing + WORLD FREAKIN' SERIES = AMAZING FREAKIN' CATCH.

That is for far the best answer in all this thread.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived