THE "RACING STRIPES"

SPORTSDOCTOR

Does anyone think that the "racing stripes" worn down the sides of some MLB teams previously will ever make a comeback - or is that a thing of the past never to surface again?

In addition, speaking of those kinds of uniforms, I'd be very interested in getting some opinions of the NY Mets home uniform that they wore from 1983 through 1994, this was the pinstriped "Mets classic" look, that had the blue & orange racing stripe that I am referring to. Did anyone like this look? Or was it too busy and too cluttering for the Mets to wear?

Thanks!

They came back briefly for the 2004 All-Star Game in Houston. Thought that might spark someone to try it, but guess not. I'm all for certain teams trying unique looks, so I wouldn't mind seeing it back.

Quick pic found on Google. Not a player, but the original Apprentice instead from the celeb softball game:

billrancic1.jpg

Does anyone think that the "racing stripes" worn down the sides of some MLB teams previously will ever make a comeback - or is that a thing of the past never to surface again?

In addition, speaking of those kinds of uniforms, I'd be very interested in getting some opinions of the NY Mets home uniform that they wore from 1983 through 1994, this was the pinstriped "Mets classic" look, that had the blue & orange racing stripe that I am referring to. Did anyone like this look? Or was it too busy and too cluttering for the Mets to wear?

Too busy or cluttered for the Mets to wear? That's a joke, right? Compared to today's mishmash Mets, that racing stripe uniform was the soul of subtle elegance. And in an era when people still had B&W TVs, it was how you knew you weren't watching the Yankees.

Actually, I always liked the Mets shoulder stripes. It's an interesting look for a team to match its pants stripes with stripes down the shoulder and the side of the jersey. And it's also a good thing for some teams to have thicker pants stripes, so it's all of a piece. Not every team that tried it pulled it off well, but if done right it could be a very nice part of a uniform and a defining part of a team's look. I hope it does make a comeback, though I fear that if it did it would be part of some kind of jersey-template uglification. Watch for racing stripes on the 2010 BP jerseys.

The real masters of the nicely done racing stripe were the maroon Phillies. Home and away, the thick white-maroon-white racing stripe was the element that perfected those unis.

20082614447.png

I agree that the Mets mish-mash needs to be stopped (though there seems no slowing it down), in fact, the Mets classic look (sans the racing stripes) is a near perfect blend of white, orange, blue, and the pinstripes, with the METS script across the chest - I think this is a gorgeous ensemble. They should drop the black drop shadow on this suit and it would be perfect.

What I am referring to is - on that uniform, with the pins - did the racing stripe make it look too busy?

Here's what I'm getting at: The Indians stripes were on a solid white uniform - while the Mets combined both racing stripes AND pinstripes together. Mookie Wilson once told me that he felt that it was too much going on at one time - so I wanted to get some other views on this topic.

The button down jersey with the racing stripes looked much better imo.

Can I please get some answers though?

Pinstripes AND racing stripe: TOO MUCH????

No.

The Phillies did something similar as well, am I right?

I like the look, I just don't like the overuse of pin stripes in MLB. As I said on another related thread, there needs to be LESS teams wearing pin stripes. The look is way overdone.

Archived