OKC Wranglers?

nwtrailtrekker

Am I the only one who is getting really sick of the stereotypical naming of mid western and south western teams?

I'm surprised some league doesn't just drop the whole charade and just name a team the Slack-Jawed Yokels...or the Red-Staters.

^_^

It's not the league naming the teams. It's the ownership (and maybe a fan vote).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, I haven't been following this too much. I'm a casual NBA fan. But, I thought the consensus was that OKC did such a good job with the Hornets, that they proved they could house an NBA franchise of their own. Is that not true? If the arena is really that inadequate, the NBA can't possibly let them move. It would set an awful precedent. You can't just let every billionaire that comes along buy a franchise and move them to his hometown because that's what he wants. This isn't Madden.

I think what you heard may have been partly true. They did do a "good job" temporarily hosting the team and their home games for a little while. I don't think that it necessarily made them a "front runner" for an NBA team though.

BTW, you're right about the awful precedent thing, and the fact that this isn't Madden. In basketball when a team moves it only has to find an arena that can hold a minimum of about 16K fans and have a few luxury boxes (I think there's more to it but you get my point) There are tons of these arenas all over the country. In football and in baseball, teams need to find large outdoor stadiums or build one for themselves. This is usually a huge undertaking and demands a huge commitment from that market. The number of markets that can do such a thing for a relocating franchise are few and far between. This limits where owners can move their teams or where they threaten to go.

The NBA needs to kind of start looking at their franchises in a similar way. They can't let every pissed off owner just up and move to whatever Civic Center on the map that his dart landed on. Because then you get into the whole musical chairs franchise moving scenario where owners leverage getting a new arena by threatening to move to one of twenty different markets.

IOW, its a big big deal when an NFL or MLB team moves...it should also be a big deal when an NBA team moves but it just isn't the case. Thats a shame. Its also pretty obvious that the NBA is only as good as its weakest franchises...and right now they are looking pretty weak.

Now, I haven't been following this too much. I'm a casual NBA fan. But, I thought the consensus was that OKC did such a good job with the Hornets, that they proved they could house an NBA franchise of their own. Is that not true? If the arena is really that inadequate, the NBA can't possibly let them move. It would set an awful precedent. You can't just let every billionaire that comes along buy a franchise and move them to his hometown because that's what he wants. This isn't Madden.

Why not? The NHL essentially did the same thing back in 1980. (of course, since it was Atlanta moving to Calgary...nobody said boo. *whistles*)

I'll also point out that even if the NBA is looking a little shaky, they still have a long way to go before rock bottom.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why not? The NHL essentially did the same thing back in 1980. (of course, since it was Atlanta moving to Calgary...nobody said boo. *whistles*)

That was nearly thirty years ago. Sports have changed considerably since then.

Or maybe they haven't, since the NBA approved the sale of the Sonics to Clay Bennett.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hockey officially died when Gretzky was traded to LA. They haven't recovered since.....at least not in MY mind. :D

Hockey officially died when Gretzky was traded to LA. They haven't recovered since.....at least not in MY mind. :D

I don't think Hockey died but it became what it was which is a niche sport. They expanded (or overexpanded) to non-traditional markets and it has hurt the league. The NHL also relocated from the North (Quebec, Winnipeg, Minnesota & Hartford) for the hopes of better financial fortunes. As for the NBA, it has always had franchise location as part of the sport. For example, Rochester/Cincinnati/Kansas City/Sacramento Royals/Kings, Milwaukee/St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks, Buffalo Braves/San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers, San Diego/Houston Rockets and let's not forget the Lakers, Warriors, Jazz, Grizzlies, Hornets. The NFL did the franchise shuffle in the 80's and 90's. Oakland to LA to Oakland, St. Louis to Phoenix, LA Rams to St. Louis; Houston to Memphis to Nashville, Baltimore to Indianapolis, Cleveland to Baltimore.

So, if the Sonics can move to OKC and be viable in an inadequate arena because they are the only game in town, good for them. The Spurs survived for the years in a horrible arena and look where they are now.

Archived