Giants and Dolphins in London

Cuse2000

GiantsDolphinsG_450x298.jpg

England's Rugby World Cup winning-captain Martin Johnson and Chelsea striker Didier Drogba have been appointed honourary captains of the two teams and donned their colours for a photoshoot at Stamford Bridge.

So it would appear the Phins will be donned in Aqua, possibly a first for a 1 PM EDT "home" game, although as the game starts at 6 PM local time, they may be considering this an evening game.

It would also mark the first time the Dolphins have worn Aqua vs. the Giants. Interestingly, the two teams have only played five times (1972, 1990, 1993, 1996 and 2003) with the 1987 game being cancelled due to a player strike.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

So it would appear the Phins will be donned in Aqua, possibly a first for a 1 PM EDT "home" game, although as the game starts at 6 PM local time, they may be considering this an evening game

The last time I recall the Dolphins wearing aqua at home for an "early" start was the 12/31/94 playoff game against the Chiefs (Joe Montana's final game).

Unfortunate choices for a game in which you're hoping to introduce your sport to a new country - neither team is wearing its regular uniform.

Technically, those are their regular uniforms. One is a semi-throwback and the other is almost never worn, but their actually their default home and aways.

bSLCtu2.png

I spoke imprecisely - I meant "preferred uniform" in the way that the English would understand.

They could have put the Giants in blue, the Dolphins in white, and both teams are wearing their first-choice uniform.

I agree that that is how it should be.

It's possible that the Dolphins are playing in aqua simply because it's the colour which even the most casual fan can instantly associate the Dolphins to (over here anyway!).

The Giants aren't such a well known team to the casual observer in England, and the Dolphins probably have a bigger fanbase that goes back further (Super Bowl 17 was the first SuperBowl shown here live, and consequently spawned a big Washington and Miami fanbase.)

It's just an observation, but may well have something to do with the perhaps odd choice of uniforms.

Channing Crowder has done more for the publicity of the game than that 30ft animatronic Jason Taylor incidentally!

sig1lj3.jpg

Unfortunate choices for a game in which you're hoping to introduce your sport to a new country - neither team is wearing its regular uniform.

I don't think they really care.

That's a pretty stupid thing to think/post (especially on this board).

Regarding the uniforms, I also don't see why they would go with these colors. Is it possible the league is one step ahead of us all and made Drogba and the rugby guy pose wearing the uniforms that won't be worn in the game (so the fans can see both options)?

GiantsDolphinsG_450x298.jpg
England's Rugby World Cup winning-captain Martin Johnson and Chelsea striker Didier Drogba have been appointed honourary captains of the two teams and donned their colours for a photoshoot at Stamford Bridge.

So it would appear the Phins will be donned in Aqua, possibly a first for a 1 PM EDT "home" game, although as the game starts at 6 PM local time, they may be considering this an evening game.

It would also mark the first time the Dolphins have worn Aqua vs. the Giants. Interestingly, the two teams have only played five times (1972, 1990, 1993, 1996 and 2003) with the 1987 game being cancelled due to a player strike.

I knew Drogba's been unhappy with Chelsea, but this is a bit much lol :D

IMO, I also think the Giants should have worn the blue jerseys and Miami in white...ALL WHITE. That would have looked sharp. Something about the aqua uni screams "NFL Europe" to me...I dunno. I'm getting flashbacks of the Barcelona Dragons for some reason.

...Something about the aqua uni screams "NFL Europe" to me...I dunno. I'm getting flashbacks of the Barcelona Dragons for some reason.

As my favorite sports uniform of all-time is the early '70s Dolphins aqua...I'm highly offended by that!

Warfield.jpg

It's possible that the Dolphins are playing in aqua simply because it's the colour which even the most casual fan can instantly associate the Dolphins to (over here anyway!).

The Dolphins are wearing aqua for the rest of the year at home (I believe that is the plan).

Its a Dolphin home game (technically).

The Dolphins are wearing their home jersey.

Thank goodness. Their drab all white look, with white helmets, aqua socks and white shoes is the softest looking uniform in the league. Pretty much follows their 0-7 record to a "T".

Archived