Something I Just Looked Up

Mac the Knife

Born during the 1969 World Series, eh?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

On the day I was born, the Orioles were the defending champions of the American League, the Mets were the defending champions of the National League, but the Detroit Tigers were the defending World Champions of baseball.

Would the Tigers still be considered the defending champions even after their defense had officially ended in failure?

CCSLC signature.png

On the day I was born, the Orioles were the defending champions of the American League, the Mets were the defending champions of the National League, but the Detroit Tigers were the defending World Champions of baseball.

I like this. It could be interesting. Here's who was doing what on my birthday.

The Pittsburgh Pirates were defending World Champions. The Yankees were defending American League Champions. The Houston Astros were AFL Champions and The Philadelphia Eagles were NFL Champions. In an odd twist, The Oilers won the AFL championship twice in the year I was born. Once on January 1st and then again on December 31st.

Think the BCS is a mess now? Here's who were considered defending Football National Champions on my birthday according to the NCAA website.

Minnesota, Iowa, Mississippi, Missouri, and Washington.

BB52Big.jpg

Would the Tigers still be considered the defending champions even after their defense had officially ended in failure?

Right. Either this is a trick question, or it's phrased wrong. If the Tigers were eliminated at that point, they're no longer defending their championship. Also, the Tigers won the AL in '68. So if the O's won it from them in '69, they wouldn't be defending that title until the next year. They couldn't have been defending it against the Mets, because the Mets couldn't have taken the American League championship from them.

Please tell me this is a trick question.

In the year of my birth, the Raiders won the Super Bowl, the Celtics beat the Rockets in the NBA Finals, the Dodgers beat the Yankees in a strike-shortened season, the Islanders were Stanley Cup champions, and Indiana and Clemson were NCAA basketball and football champions, respectively.

Also of note is that Bob Backlund was WWF champion the entire year of 1981.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If we changed the word "defending" to the word "reigning" would that make everyone happy?

Also, Bobby Backlund was the WWF Champion when I was born, too--a couple years later in 1983.

You know what else is interesting about the early years of the WWF Championship? The first Champion, Buddy Rogers, reigned for less than a month. The second Champion, Bruno Sammartino, reigned for 8 years.

Sure they would. They just were unsuccessful in their defense. :)

nav-logo.png

Only three days before I was born, the 76ers won the last professional major league sports title the city of Philadelphia has seen.

I AM THE CURSE THAT PLAGUES PHILADELPHIA!!!!

(Oh, and the Islanders won their fourth in a row, the Cardinals beat the Brewers in the previous World Series, and Washington beat Miami in Super Bowl XVII.)

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I remember that from when my much younger cousion was born. The Twins and Atlanta were league champions, but the Reds were world champs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 days before I was born the 49ers destroyed the Broncos in the Super Bowl. 55-10.

The next four Super Bowls featured my hometown Buffalo Bills.

MLB Champs: Cincinnati Reds

NHL Champs: Edmonton Oilers

NBA Champs: Detroit Pistons

NFL Champs: SF 49ers

NCAAF Champs: Colorado/GT

FIFA WC: West Germany

saBS.png

In the year of my birth:

- Niners beat Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX

- Villanova beat Georgetown in the Final Four

- Lakers beat Celtics in 1985 NBA Finals

- Oilers beat Flyers in 1985 Stanley Cup Finals

- Royals beat Cardinals in 1985 World Series

- Oklahoma won the D-1 College Football Nat'l Championship

the year i was born:

Super Bowl

Washington d. Buffalo (37-24)

World Series

Toronto d. Atlanta Braves (4-2)

NBA Championship

Chicago d. Portland (4-2)

Stanley Cup

Pittsburgh d. Chicago (4-0)

and since my wrestling buddies are here, i'll mention that Randy Savage was the WWF Champion

The Year I was born:

Super Bowl- Cowboys destroy Bills*

World Series- Toronto beats Philly

NBA Finals- Bulls beat the Suns to get a three peat

Stanley Cup- Canadiens beat Kings

Final Four- UNC beats Michigan*

NCAA-FSU beat Nebraska*

*-Happened before I was born

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived