Something I Just Looked Up

Mac the Knife

When BBTV was born...

NL: The Phillies were days away from squaring off against the Dodgers in the NLCS (Dodgers would win 3-1.)

AL: The Yankees and Royals were days away from starting the ALCS (Yankees would win, and go on to win the series.)

NHL: The Canadiens were the defending cup champions, having defeated the Bruins in the finals to win the previous season's title. The current season had not yet started.

NBA: The Trailblazers were the defending champs, having defeated the Sixers to win the previous season's title. The current season had not yet started.

NFL: The Oakland Raiders were the defending champions, having defeated the Vikings to win the previous season's title.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll play too:

As of August 11th, 1979

Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens

Superbowl: Pittsburgh Steelers

World Series: New York Yankees (1978)

NBA Champions: Seattle Supersonics

NCAA Football: Alabama Crimson Tide

NCAA Basketball: Michigan State Spartans

Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

NFL -- The Packers had defeated the Chiefs in Super Bowl I about 7 months earlier.

MLB -- My Orioles were still defending World Champions, but on their way to a disappointing finish (with the World Series ultimately won by the Cardinals).

NBA & NHL -- Don't know off hand and too lazy to look it up.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The year I was born...

Willis Reed rallies the Knicks in Game 7 as New York wins the NBA Championship beating the Lakers 4 games to 3.

Mike Garrett was the leading rusher with 39 yards, and Len Dawson passed for a paltry 142 yards and one touchdown as KC defeated Minnesota 23-7 in Super Bowl IV.

Brooks Robinson hit .429 and broke the record for total bases with seventeen (17) as the Baltimore Orioles win the World Series defeating the Cincinnati Reds 4 games to 1.

Bob Devaney coached the Nebraska Cornhuskers to an Orange Bowl win and the National Championship.

The Rams of Philadelphia Textile defeated Tennessee State to capture the NCAA Division II Men's Basketball Championship.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

In the year of my birth:

- Niners beat Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX

- Villanova beat Georgetown in the Final Four

- Lakers beat Celtics in 1985 NBA Finals

- Oilers beat Flyers in 1985 Stanley Cup Finals

- Royals beat Cardinals in 1985 World Series

- Oklahoma won the D-1 College Football Nat'l Championship

Ditto.

To pin down by birth exactly...I was nice enough to be born during one of the travel days in the NLCS that year. The day after "Go Crazy Folks".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In January, the Raiders defeated the Eagles in Super Bowl XV

The LA Dodgers beat the Montreal Expos in the NLCS on their way to winning the World Series over the Yankees in a strike-shortened season. It was the 1st &, to date, only appearance for the Expos/Nats franchise in the playoffs.

Earlier in the year, the Isles defeated the Minnesota North Stars to become back-to-back Cup winners.

The Celtics defeated the Rockets for the NBA title.

Indiana defeated UNC for the NCAA Div. 1 basketball championship.

Clemson won the NCAA Div. 1 football championship after winning the Orange Bowl over Nebraska.

Ill play along too

It was

MLB Reds vs Red Sox

NBA Warriors vs Bullets

NHL Flyers vs Sabres

and Super Bowl X Steelers vs Cowboys was on the same day as my christening

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

When I was born(January 25, 1986):

- 49ers were Superbowl Champions, although only for a day. The Bears shuffled the day after I was born

- The Edmonton Oilers were reigning Stanley Cup champions

- The Kansas City Royals(!) were champions of the world until the Mets Mookie'd and Buckner'd their way to the crown in October

- The LA Lakers were reigning champions until the Celtics took the trophy in June

- The first federal Martin Luther King day occurred just 5 days prior

- Challenger exploded just 3 days after

- ALF debuted a mere 9 months later(well, 8 months and 27-ish days)

This is what I found on my year of birth:

Pitcher Warren Spahn, now 24, returns from the European war to resume a career with the Boston Braves that was interrupted after four games in 1942.

The Detroit Tigers win the World Series, defeating the Chicago Cubs 4 games to 3 with help from Hank Greenberg, who returned to the Tiger lineup in midsummer at age 34 and hit a home run in his first game after serving as an Army Air Corps volunteer in the China-Burma-India Theater.

Also:

Army backs Felix "Doc" Blanchard ("Mr. Inside") and Glenn Davis ("Mr. Outside"), both 20, lead their team to victory; Blanchard wins the Heisman Trophy, Davis will win it next year.

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

c2cam2006

what happened in 1982

NASCAR Championship - Darrell Waltrip

Bobby Allison won the Daytona 500

CART Racing - Rick Mears won the season championship

Indianapolis 500 - Gordon Johncock

Formula One Champion - Keke Rosberg of Finland

24 hours of Le Mans:

won by the team of Jacky Ickx / Derek Bell driving a Porsche 956

Rally racing - Walter Röhrl in an Opel won the World Rally Championship

Walter Rohrl / Christian Geistdorfer won the Monte Carlo Rally driving an Opel Ascona 400

Drag racing - Shirley Muldowney won the NHRA Top Fuel championship.

July 13: Montreal hosts the first MLB All-Star Game outside the United States. Reds SS Dave Concepción hits a 2-run home run in the 2nd inning to spark the National League to its 11th consecutive win over the American League 4-1. The NL has now won 19 of the last 20 contests. Concepción was named the MVP.

August 18: Pete Rose sets record with his 13,941st plate appearance.

World Series: St. Louis Cardinals won 4 games to 3 over the Milwaukee Brewers. The Series MVP was Cardinals catcher Darrell Porter.

NCAA Men's Basketball Championship:

North Carolina wins 63-62 over Georgetown

NBA Finals:

Los Angeles Lakers won 4 games to 2 over the Philadelphia 76ers

Super Bowl XVI: San Francisco 49ers won 26-21 over the Cincinnati Bengals.

NCAA Division I-A: Clemson University Tigers defeat University of Nebraska Cornhuskers 22-15 in the Orange Bowl, voted 1981 NCAA Division I-A College Football National Champion in AP and UPI polls.

Strike: First regular season strike by NFL players ends on November 16 after 57 days.

Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers

Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers

B)Stanley Cup: New York Islanders win 4-0 over the Vancouver Canucks B)

World Hockey Championship:

Men's champion: Soviet Union defeated Czechoslovakia

Junior Men's champion: Canada defeated Czechoslovakia

courtesy of the Wik

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

My birth year (some liberties taken):

Oscar De La Hoya and I were born on the same day. 34 years later, Oscar has fallen and I am thriving.

Construction of the CN Tower began one week after my birth, in my honor.

The World Trade Center opens in NY exactly two months after my birth, in my honor.

The Sears Tower is completed in Chicago exactly three months after my birth, in my honor.

Augusto Pinochet, backed by the US Government, takes over power in Chile. Good job, America. :flagcanada:

Watergate!

Gerald Ford becomes President!

Secretariat wins the Triple Crown.

The Sydney Opera House opens, in my honor.

OJ Simpson rushes for over 2000 yards.

Champs: Dolphins, A's, Canadiens, Knickerbockers, UCLA (hoop), Notre Dame (football)

The Godfather wins best picture.

I'll play too:

As of August 11th, 1979

Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens

Superbowl: Pittsburgh Steelers

World Series: New York Yankees (1978)

NBA Champions: Seattle Supersonics

NCAA Football: Alabama Crimson Tide

NCAA Basketball: Michigan State Spartans

Mine would be the same since I was born on Aug. 2, 1979. I do know that Yankees Catcher Thurmun Munson died on the same day and Iraq invaded Kuwait on my b-day in 1990.

In regards to wrestling history, Bob Backlund was in the midst of a near 6 year WWF Championship reign, and the WWF Intercontinental Title was established almost a month to the day later.

Archived