Bad color combos

johnnysama

Orange & Kelly Green - That might be the color of Florida A&M and Miami Univ, but man that hurts to see those colors together.

I'm a long-time lurker on this board and this post finally made me comment. The colors of Miami University (in Ohio) are red and white. The colors of the University of Miami (in Florida) are green and orange. These two schools are definitely not interchangeable.

(...and yes I am a proud graduate of Miami University)

In order to post something of value pertaining to this particular topic, I would add whatever colr scheme the Seattle Seahwks switched to when they changed their uniforms last. The blues are too close together and the old scheme was classy and looked really good.

the seahawks colors are fine its just they way they are on the jersey they bleed together. usually a stripe or outline takes care of that. though i do agree the two dark blues are a bit too close together. dark colors generally shouldn't be put side by side like burgandy and avs blue or royal and navy like the blues have and did have with out having some sort of contrast.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most "Bad" combos feature colors that are too 'close' together:

Yellow and Orange. No one uses this scheme - and for good reason.

Brown and Green (Kelly, Lime or Forest). Ditto.

Brown and Purple.

Brown and Navy.

Purple and Royal Blue.

Purple and Navy.

How about orange and red? I can't believe no one's brought up the original Tampa Bay Buccaneers' look.

One non close combo that is rarely, if ever used, is red and KELLY green. It just screams "Christmas!" It's funny; that little tweak from Kelly Green to Forest green makes it okay.

Remember the New Jersey Devils' original look?

And as some of you may recall, my original Toronto Vipers logo (which was also my original avatar) had a red maple leaf and two lighter shades of green for the viper head. In my case I not only made the greens darker, I ditched the red for metallic gold.

Other than that, I'm open to everything-- lime green and (dark) purple, magenta and orange, teal and purple, old gold and white, brown and red--- BRING IT!!

In that case, check out the USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers (who, thankfully for my eyesight, only survived for one season). You still sure about that?

CCSLC signature.png

One non close combo that is rarely, if ever used, is red and KELLY green. It just screams "Christmas!" It's funny; that little tweak from Kelly Green to Forest green makes it okay.

It was Forest Green, not Kelly:

NewJerseyDevils_FRC_1992_SOL.jpg

Other than that, I'm open to everything-- lime green and (dark) purple, magenta and orange, teal and purple, old gold and white, brown and red--- BRING IT!!

In that case, check out the USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers (who, thankfully for my eyesight, only survived for one season). You still sure about that?

The Maulers - IMO - were fairly conservative color-wise:

PittsburghMaulers_FRC_1985_SOL.jpg

black and dark green

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_2007_SOL.jpg

black and dark blue

TampaBayLightning_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

black and maroon

MiamiHeat_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

RheinFire_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

NOTE: I realize that NFL Europe/Europa is defunct...I just haven't set the end dates in my database and re-generated the images yet.

We've had many threads about these colors in the past, but here they are again:

SouthernCaliforniaSun_FRC_1975_SOL.jpg

lime green and red...heh, unless it's part of a Bucks-ish multi-green scheme, agreed.

Actually, when a proposal was floated to build a soccer-specific stadium in San Antonio, wasn't one of the proposed color schemes sea-foam green and maroon (i.e., guac and salsa)? That might have worked.

4720.gif

Turquoise, pink, orange and black.

Thank goodness that was only on the logo and not the uniform.

Does anyone know why this was the case?

This happens in other sports; DC United has rarely had red in its uniform although the badge is red.

Does anyone know why this was the case?

Here's a better look at that logo:

SanAntonioSpurs_PL_1989-2002_SOL.jpg

...and, the colors:

SanAntonioSpurs_FRC_2002_SOL.jpg

Like I said earlier, there WERE some warmups that were primarily Black, Turquoise, Fuchsia and Orange...but with the standard Black and Silver unis. Don't really know the reason for it all, other than the theory that they were trying to incorporate some more "southwestern" colors into the mix without completely changing the primary look of the team.

black and dark green

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_2007_SOL.jpg

black and dark blue

TampaBayLightning_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

black and maroon

MiamiHeat_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

RheinFire_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

NOTE: I realize that NFL Europe/Europa is defunct...I just haven't set the end dates in my database and re-generated the images yet.

It looks ok if black is an accent color, but I was thinkin along the lines of black as the main jersey color, and those other colors used as secondary. Like the Eagles, A's, and Lions' alt jersey, and then the Redskins' fashion jersey. Sorry, should have specified in my original post.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Yes I do. And the red jersey of that era is my favorite hockey jersey ever. I was upset when they gave up unique in favor of cliche.

I also love the Miami (FL) colors of Green and Orange. They don't always execute their uniforms well, but the 1980s and 1990s uniforms (pre-trying too hard) were very sharp.

I would also like to join the Pro-brown and baby blue camp. I think it looks great. I may have to find myself a Tufts sweatshirt. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see a pro-team do. But that would probably sell only to the home fans, so it's gonna continue to be black and red.

EDIT: I just went to the Tufts bookstore website and their merchandise seems to shy away from brown and baby blue. They have some items in those colors, but they have some purple (or dark blue) on umbrellas and shot glasses and the majority of the t's and sweats are not in the scheme. Brown with no blue, dark blue, black, even red.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

EDIT: I just went to the Tufts bookstore website and their merchandise seems to shy away from brown and baby blue. They have some items in those colors, but they have some purple (or dark blue) on umbrellas and shot glasses and the majority of the t's and sweats are not in the scheme. Brown with no blue, dark blue, black, even red.

Before posting the pic of the Tufts football uniforms a few pages back, I putzed around their athletic website (or at least the athletic portion of the university's main website). In my brief search, the football team was the only one that appeared to use any appreciable amount of brown. Most of the other teams used baby blue and white.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Hey, don't be slammin' the Maulers - Purple and 'Renaissance Red' didn't work all that great with the logo, but their uni's absolutely rocked.

Most of the color combos listed here could work in some fashion or format, but for some reason haven't.

I have a team in my flag football league that wears dark gray uniforms (think charcoal) with deep maroon numbers (no outline). We've been forcing them to wear pinnies all season because we can't identify players. Had one a while back that insisted on wearing orange jerseys with neon green lettering and numbers... you literally couldn't focus on both a shirt and its number at the same time.

The Orlando Thunder's color scheme was one most at the time thought was pretty atrocious, but I kinda liked it.

Despite growing up between Pittsburgh and Cleveland I've never been particularly fond of black and gold combos.

nav-logo.png

Most "Bad" combos feature colors that are too 'close' together:

Yellow and Orange. No one uses this scheme - and for good reason.

Brown and Green (Kelly, Lime or Forest). Ditto.

Brown and Purple.

Brown and Navy.

Purple and Royal Blue.

Purple and Navy.

How about orange and red? I can't believe no one's brought up the original Tampa Bay Buccaneers' look.

And as some of you may recall, my original Toronto Vipers logo (which was also my original avatar) had a red maple leaf and two lighter shades of green for the viper head. In my case I not only made the greens darker, I ditched the red for metallic gold.

As for red and orange...there are those of us who see absolute beauty in that super-unique color scheme, not to mention thr uniforms worn by the team represented by those colors...

nickerson-943.jpg

nickerson-gb95h.jpg

But...I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, huh??? :D

As for red and kelly, we now have the Milwaukee Bucks (once again). We used to have the New Jersey Devils in that color scheme. But one team I can just about bet NO ONE IN HERE has thought of yet that features this color scheme resides at the collegiate level--and as soon as you see these photos, someone is going to smack his/her forehead, I promise:

untitled.jpg

That's Willie Totten, leader of one of the most prolific college offenses in the 1980s, and next to him, well--you all can see who that is.

Here's a better shot:

01.jpg

Recognize him now?

(Oh--by the way...for those who have no clue what school this is, it's Misissippi Valley State University, owners of probably one of the coolest nicknames in all of sports period: Delta Devils.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As for red and kelly, we now have the Milwaukee Bucks (once again). We used to have the New Jersey Devils in that color scheme. But one team I can just about bet NO ONE IN HERE has thought of yet that features this color scheme resides at the collegiate level--and as soon as you see these photos, someone is going to smack his/her forehead, I promise...

AGAIN (!)...the Bucks aren't Kelly Green, and the Devils weren't back in the day.

And sure - I had remembered that Mississippi Valley State U. had Red in there with the Green, but it's not an "official" color. Officially, their colors are Green and White, but use Red and even Gold as "additional" colors.

Here are some other schools that use Red and Green:

City Colleges of Chicago, Olive Harvey College

Columbia State Community College

Gateway Technical College

Minot State University

Radford University

Stony Brook University, State University of New York

University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

Washington University in St. Louis

I have just been officially owned...by the owner of all owners.

And...I'm man enough to admit it. Ain't that a b*tch???

(*turns around and walks away, fuming and spittin' off at the mouth under own breath*) :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Another one: I've never been sure whether I like these or not, but I give 'em an 'A' for effort:

WestVirginiaPower_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

hey! i have a WV Power hat, the "moss" color, and i really like their color combo. they don't use it on their jerseys very well but on just a hat, or a t-shirt the scheme looks nice to me. unique.

edit: should have read the rest of the thread: i also have a fresno grizzlies cap. i also like their color scheme.

yes i do think the green bay packers colors are awful ( i didnt say the team)

i am a big time arizona state sun devils fan and i hate their colors

as i said yellow and green, yellow and red, yellow and purple, yellow and brown,

yellow and anything

except black, and blue

Archived