A-Rod Opts Out

Waffles

(for the record, i got no ill feelings towards the cubs or anything, i just like picking on the team thats completely useless at baseball in september)

Says the Brewers fan...

about the only interest in the brewers i have is the ball in glove logo and my goal of imposing it on the rest of the world. as for the team/rivals eh, its here or there.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-Rod in Anaheim doesn't look too likely at this point, although Boras and Reagins are in negotiations. Boras is looking to get A-Rod 10 years for $30 million-ish, but the Angels are eyeing more of a 5-year deal. Moreno's not looking to pay one player more than $20 million either, although this could just be to bring Boras' price down a bit.

By the way, A-Rod's postseason numbers aren't that bad for a mortal hitter... they're just bad for A-Rod. Up until game 4 of 2004, he had great postseason numbers... and he's not the only one that hasn't gotten it done for the Yankees.

Yea, I've never understood why so many people have said that A-Rod chokes in the playoffs. He had two bad years with Yankees, the same years the NY media was up his @$$ the whole season (weren't they mad he went to Central Park once?). Other than that he's put up great numbers, including this postseason. In face his career postseason OPS in only 41 points lower than "Mr October" Reggie Jackson's and only 2 points lower than Derek Jeter's. I'd love for him to join the O's if he had more to put around him.

A-Rod in Anaheim doesn't look too likely at this point, although Boras and Reagins are in negotiations. Boras is looking to get A-Rod 10 years for $30 million-ish, but the Angels are eyeing more of a 5-year deal. Moreno's not looking to pay one player more than $20 million either, although this could just be to bring Boras' price down a bit.

I think Artie Moreno is too smart to sign A-Rod. His contract would tie you up for years. If you ask me, the guy has priced himself right out of anywhere besides Boston or New York. Only a fool would sign A-Rod at 30 million per year.

The truth is the Yankees don't want him, The Red Sox don't need him, and outside maybe the Dodgers, no one else can afford him. His postseason stats combined with the fact that he's never even played in a World Series just proves that he's no guarantee of anything should a team spend the money to sign him. As I said before, the only place he's worth the investment is on a fantasy team. If you could get him at a reasonable amount then why not take a shot. But at 30 million a year? He's just not worth the risk.

I like The Angels. I hope Artie Moreno doesn't screw them by signing A-Rod.

BB52Big.jpg

I think Artie Moreno is too smart to sign A-Rod. His contract would tie you up for years. If you ask me, the guy has priced himself right out of anywhere besides Boston or New York. Only a fool would sign A-Rod at 30 million per year.

The truth is the Yankees don't want him, The Red Sox don't need him, and outside maybe the Dodgers, no one else can afford him. His postseason stats combined with the fact that he's never even played in a World Series just proves that he's no guarantee of anything should a team spend the money to sign him. As I said before, the only place he's worth the investment is on a fantasy team. If you could get him at a reasonable amount then why not take a shot. But at 30 million a year? He's just not worth the risk.

See, I want A-Rod on the Halos, but definitely not at that price. The Angels need a big bat, no doubt. Vlad failed to hit 30 HRs, if I'm not mistaken, this season. A-Rod would be damn near perfect, but not for $30 mil. Granted, Colon's fat a...paycheck :P leaving Anaheim is gonna help, but still, nobody is worth that much money. If A-Rod doesn't lower that price, I'm all for the Angels pursuing a guy like Garrett Atkins.

See, I want A-Rod on the Halos, but definitely not at that price. The Angels need a big bat, no doubt. Vlad failed to hit 30 HRs, if I'm not mistaken, this season. A-Rod would be damn near perfect, but not for $30 mil. Granted, Colon's fat a...paycheck :P leaving Anaheim is gonna help, but still, nobody is worth that much money. If A-Rod doesn't lower that price, I'm all for the Angels pursuing a guy like Garrett Atkins.

Atkins should be available. I can see the Rockies moving him to make room for Ian Stewart, who should eventually be better than Atkins if he lives up to his potential.

I'm still undecided about A-Rod in Boston... I wouldn't fault the Red Sox if they signed him, but I wouldn't be upset if they didn't. I'm just happy he's out of New York... I'd rather he land in the National League.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Angels have basically said they can't afford him. The White Sox aren't going to pursue him, the Red Sox have shown no interest. The Mets have no place for him with Reyes and Wright in their left infield. The Dodgers need a shortstop and will get Joe Torre as their skipper more than likely. The Cubs could afford him and could use an upgrade at short, and they have Pineilla, but with new ownership impending and with so much money already wrapped up in other players that the money A-Rod wants may be too much for their tastes.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Before Alex Rodriguez opted out of his contract with the Yankees earlier this week, the team was told that it would not be able to meet with the third baseman unless it presented an offer of at least $350 million, sources say.

The Yankees had hoped to meet with Rodriguez this week, and would have presented him with an extension offer close to five years and $150 million, to begin at the conclusion of his 2008-2010 contract, through which he would have earned $81 million. Through the Yankees' proposal, then, Rodriguez would have made about $230 million over eight years, and during the last five years of the contract, sources say, he would have earned the highest annual salary in Major League Baseball history.

But team executives were told, sources say, that in order to arrange a meeting with Rodriguez, they would have to be prepared to make an extension offer that would take the third baseman's deal up to a total value of $350 million. That means that the offer the Yankees intended to propose would have been more than $100 million short.

Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, sent the documentation of Rodriguez's intention to opt out of the contract to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman during Game 4 of the World Series, Cashman has said, and the GM did not speak with Boras until after news of the decision was published on SI.com.

The timing of how this played out, and the fact that Rodriguez did not meet with the Yankees to hear their offer before making his decision, has led some baseball officials to surmise that a deal with another team may already be in the works. In an interview with ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick on Thursday, Boras said, "We have had no economic discussions regarding Alex Rodriguez with any major-league team."

The Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Giants and Marlins are among the teams which have not publicly ruled out pursuing Rodriguez. Sources say it is highly unlikely that the Dodgers will seriously entertain the possibility.

So what Buster Olney is saying, is that A-Rod wanted $350 mil from the Yankees.

$350 Million. Are you :censored: kidding me? If A-Rod is seriously asking for $350 mil, who in their right mind would pay that much?!

Before Alex Rodriguez opted out of his contract with the Yankees earlier this week, the team was told that it would not be able to meet with the third baseman unless it presented an offer of at least $350 million, sources say.

The Yankees had hoped to meet with Rodriguez this week, and would have presented him with an extension offer close to five years and $150 million, to begin at the conclusion of his 2008-2010 contract, through which he would have earned $81 million. Through the Yankees' proposal, then, Rodriguez would have made about $230 million over eight years, and during the last five years of the contract, sources say, he would have earned the highest annual salary in Major League Baseball history.

But team executives were told, sources say, that in order to arrange a meeting with Rodriguez, they would have to be prepared to make an extension offer that would take the third baseman's deal up to a total value of $350 million. That means that the offer the Yankees intended to propose would have been more than $100 million short.

Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, sent the documentation of Rodriguez's intention to opt out of the contract to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman during Game 4 of the World Series, Cashman has said, and the GM did not speak with Boras until after news of the decision was published on SI.com.

The timing of how this played out, and the fact that Rodriguez did not meet with the Yankees to hear their offer before making his decision, has led some baseball officials to surmise that a deal with another team may already be in the works. In an interview with ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick on Thursday, Boras said, "We have had no economic discussions regarding Alex Rodriguez with any major-league team."

The Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Giants and Marlins are among the teams which have not publicly ruled out pursuing Rodriguez. Sources say it is highly unlikely that the Dodgers will seriously entertain the possibility.

$350 Million. Are you :censored: kidding me? If A-Rod is seriously asking for $350 mil, who in their right mind would pay that much?!

Or, one could read that as A-Rod wanted $350 mil to play for the Yankees. Perhaps that price was only for them, and he won't charge as much to play elsewhere. Or not. He might just think he's worth $350 mil.

Or, one could read that as A-Rod wanted $350 mil to play for the Yankees. Perhaps that price was only for them, and he won't charge as much to play elsewhere. Or not. He might just think he's worth $350 mil.

$35 million a year for ten years? Wow. Not a prayer, Alex. The Red Sox ain't doing that, the Yankees ain't, I would doubt the Cubs, Angels, or Dodgers would. Boras has to know something we don't to have turned down the Yankees deal, that seems like the best he would get.

Given how out of control contracts are getting, though... what's the inflation around the league going to be once the end of this deal comes around? The $30 million he will get may look a little more reasonable seven or eight years down the road... even then, though, it'll still look insance.

IUe6Hvh.png

Top 10 A-Rod destinations

By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports

October 30, 2007

The midway is open and the carnival barker is walking down, shouting for everyone to step right up, because he's got the biggest and best prize. This is Scott Boras' style, like it or not, and no matter how much baseball teams want to ignore him and his client Alex Rodriguez, the best player in baseball, they can't.

A-Rod is a free agent after opting out of the final three years of his contract with the New York Yankees and leaving $81 million on the table. With the Yankees reportedly ready to tack on another $150 million or so to his current deal, Rodriguez is certain that Boras, the agent everybody loves to hate, can snag him an all-time contract ? perhaps upward of $300 million, besting his own record 10-year, $250 million deal with Texas in 2000.

Seven major league franchises are worth less than $300 million, according to April's Forbes, which would seem to take them out of the running. And plenty of others wouldn't dare wade in that pool, knowing the deep end extends about 20,000 leagues.

Here are 10 teams, in order of likelihood, that might make the leap.

1. Los Angeles Angels

Why? There are about 50 good reasons. The Angels need a bat in the worst way. They can move Chone Figgins to any number of positions, opening up third base. Rodriguez would give them instant cachet in Los Angeles. Bartolo Colon's monster salary comes off the books this offseason. True bilingual star in a market lacking one. Everything fits.

Why not? Publicly, owner Arte Moreno balks at devoting too much of his payroll to one player. If there's one player to splurge on, though, it's Rodriguez. Which makes the Angels the favorite.

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

Why? Pretty much all the reasons the Angels need him. Oh, and they're about to hire Joe Torre, who has managed Rodriguez for the last four seasons.

Why not? Four potential issues. First, though owner Frank McCourt has raised the payroll to about $108 million, the Dodgers still made the second most money in baseball aside from Florida last year, according to Forbes. Which is to say: In baseball terms, he's stingy. Next: After outfielder J.D. Drew opted out of his Dodgers contract after last season, general manager Ned Colletti stopped talking with Boras, his agent. They still aren't speaking. Also: Torre, fully aware of Rodriguez's drama-queen antics, might put the kibosh on. And: The Dodgers have Andy LaRoche, a top prospect, ready to fill the hole at third next season.

3. San Francisco Giants

Why? They need a marquee name to replace Barry Bonds, if, in fact, they're serious about cutting ties with him. Pedro Feliz could move from third base to first. And with Bonds, Armando Benitez and Matt Morris off the books, they've certainly got the payroll flexibility.

Why not? Actually, San Francisco probably is the best fit for Rodriguez. But with the Barry Zito contract looking like a seven-year bust, do the Giants really want to commit to another player for that long ? and one who, in a few ways, mimics everything that was bad about Bonds?

4. Chicago Cubs

Why? The Cubs spent $300 million on free agents last season, so what's another $300 million in one fell swoop? Ryan Theriot probably isn't the long-term solution at shortstop, and though Rodriguez likely could play there a few more years, he could move back to third at the end of Aramis Ramirez's contract in 2011 or to first when Derrek Lee leaves after 2010.

Why not? Sam Zell, the new owner of the Tribune Company, will red flag any free-agent dabbling this offseason as he tries to sell the team. A potential $300 million liability, no matter how great the earning power, will probably not be worth it.

5. New York Yankees

Why? He carried them last season, will probably win the American League MVP unanimously and, well, his departure creates a big hole at third base that they can't fill from within. Perhaps most important: They can pay him the most.

Why not? The Yankees have spent so much time talking about how they wouldn't negotiate with Rodriguez if he opted out that even the slightest word of chatter between the two parties would make the Yankees look like fools. And Hank Steinbrenner, in his first months running the team, cannot afford that.

6. New York Mets

Why? To stick it to the Yankees. And because with SportsNet New York turning into a television powerhouse, the Mets now rank third in total revenues behind the Yankees and Boston Red Sox, meaning they can afford him.

Why not? Where does he play? David Wright moving to second base is laughable, and he and Jose Reyes' contracts are too good to move. And even though they could afford him, the Mets don't want their payroll rocketing into the Yankees-Red Sox stratosphere.

7. Detroit Tigers

Why? The Tigers enjoy a great relationship with Boras, and while that never parlays into any kind of a discount, it at least gets them in the conversation.

Why not? No room anywhere, unless the Tigers want to dump Brandon Inge, which, after last season, is wholly possible. Detroit traded for Edgar Renteria this week, so no longer do the Tigers need a shortstop to accommodate Carlos Guillen's move to first base.

8. Boston Red Sox

Why? Mike Lowell's free agency creates a potential hole at third base, and, hey, the Red Sox have tried trading for A-Rod before. With Manny Ramirez's $20 million salary off the books following the 2008 season, Boston could afford A-Rod, too.

Why not? They've got too good a thing going to inject a player who hasn't even made the World Series in any of his 12 full seasons. Anyway, Boston is going to need all the scratch it can put together to keep Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Jonathan Papelbon through their arbitration years. Yes, that's far down the road, but if Rodriguez really wants eight to 10 years, it's an important consideration.

9. Florida Marlins

Why? Florida has been trying to get a new ballpark for years, and A-Rod ? a Miami boy ? would be the biggest chip yet. Imagine a lineup topped by these four: Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Miguel Cabrera, A-Rod. Wow.

Why not? The Marlins are worth $244 million. And even if owner Jeffrey Loria profited $43.3 million last season, according to Forbes ? 58 percent more than the next-best team ? he has never shown any desire to spend it. Loria makes Scrooge look like a reckless spender.

10. Texas Rangers

Why? They've done it before.

Why not? They've done it before.

Jeff Passan is a national baseball writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jeff a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Link

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The Yankees are apparently willing to offer Mike Lowell 5 years at $70 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7401470

I like Mike but that's a little bit much for him. This would be a typical Yankee signing... I thought they were learning?

Bump the Red Sox up on the list of destinations for A-Rod. It's either him, or deal for Garrett Atkins or Miguel Cabrera... but the Marlins want too much for Miggy.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 2 weeks later...

A-Rod and the Yankees appear to be crawling back towards each other...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3109894

Funny how much A-Rod and his family love New York now that he can't get anywhere near what his agent was looking for somewhere else. And it's funny how tough and steadfast the Yankees front office is when they realize their only other options are overpaying Mike Lowell or mortgaging the future on Miguel Cabrera.

If the Yankees can get A-Rod back at the price they would have offered him (with A-Rod covering the amount the Yankees would have received from Texas had the deal been extended) and humiliate Scott Boras in the process, I will gladly take back every bad word I've uttered in A-Rod's general direction the last couple weeks and go back to my normal level of ambivalence about him.

This would make all parties look foolish.

The Yankees, especially Hank Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman, would look foolish for saying there's "not a chance" that they make an attempt to sign A-Rod if he opts out.

Boras would look foolish for obvious reasons.

A-Rod would look foolish because he'd have lost himself a huge chunk of money because hes a :censored:.

And the Yankees fans would look foolish for everything they've said about the man since he opted out... they'd look especially foolish when they give him an opening day standing ovation.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Yankees are apparently willing to offer Mike Lowell 5 years at $70 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7401470

I like Mike but that's a little bit much for him. This would be a typical Yankee signing... I thought they were learning?

Bump the Red Sox up on the list of destinations for A-Rod. It's either him, or deal for Garrett Atkins or Miguel Cabrera... but the Marlins want too much for Miggy.

From what I've read on SoSH (sonsofsamhorn.com, for you non-baseball folk), the Yanks want Lowell to switch over to first base, and re-sign A-Rod to play third. Are these guys confused or just plain stupid? You're going to take a 1,300-game veteran -- someone who's NEVER played first base -- and stick him over there? In the process, you're gonna give a 33-year old a 5-year deal for 70 million bucks!?

I'm sorry, but I thought the Yankees were establishing a new motto to get YOUNGER, here. If this Lowell deal is true, then coupled with the Posada and Rivera signings, the Yankees just look ridiculous.

Archived