A-Rod Opts Out

Waffles

The Yankees are apparently willing to offer Mike Lowell 5 years at $70 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7401470

I like Mike but that's a little bit much for him. This would be a typical Yankee signing... I thought they were learning?

Bump the Red Sox up on the list of destinations for A-Rod. It's either him, or deal for Garrett Atkins or Miguel Cabrera... but the Marlins want too much for Miggy.

From what I've read on SoSH (sonsofsamhorn.com, for you non-baseball folk), the Yanks want Lowell to switch over to first base, and re-sign A-Rod to play third. Are these guys confused or just plain stupid? You're going to take a 1,300-game veteran -- someone who's NEVER played first base -- and stick him over there? In the process, you're gonna give a 33-year old a 5-year deal for 70 million bucks!?

I'm sorry, but I thought the Yankees were establishing a new motto to get YOUNGER, here. If this Lowell deal is true, then coupled with the Posada and Rivera signings, the Yankees just look ridiculous.

If they sign A-Rod and Rivera to the contracts they want to give them, they'd have given out 17 years and $387.4 worth of contracts to... THREE GUYS! Add Lowell to that and it's insane.

I thought the Yankees learned their lesson?

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. Los Angeles Dodgers

First, though owner Frank McCourt has raised the payroll to about $108 million, the Dodgers still made the second most money in baseball aside from Florida last year, according to Forbes. Which is to say: In baseball terms, he's stingy.

Am I reading this right? The Dodger payroll's at $108 million?

If so, the Dodgers may be more in contention for A-Rod than anyone could imagine...

nav-logo.png

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

First, though owner Frank McCourt has raised the payroll to about $108 million, the Dodgers still made the second most money in baseball aside from Florida last year, according to Forbes. Which is to say: In baseball terms, he's stingy.

If so, the Dodgers may be more in contention for A-Rod than anyone could imagine...

And they have the contracts of Kent, Gonzalez, and Nomar coming off of the books this offseason, I think. I'm not sure how serious the Dodgers are about going after him... but with the young talent they have, in about a year or two they'd be very scary, and would remain very scary for a very long time.

IUe6Hvh.png

2. Los Angeles Dodgers

And they have the contracts of Kent, Gonzalez, and Nomar coming off of the books this offseason, I think. I'm not sure how serious the Dodgers are about going after him... but with the young talent they have, in about a year or two they'd be very scary, and would remain very scary for a very long time.

And apparently they just hired some guy who used to manage Mr. Rodriguez.

A-Rod is gonna be a Yankee, something tells me that his name is on that substance abuse list that MLB is gonna release in about a month, and if he wants to cover up his ass, being a Yankee for the next 10 years is the only way he's gonna have a chance at not completely destroying his name. I wouldn't be suprised if a contract has already been signed and that they just haven't released it to the public yet, to come up with some "story" for why A-Rod rejoined with the Yanks.

rob66.png

something tells me that his name is on that substance abuse list that MLB is gonna release in about a month, and if he wants to cover up his ass, being a Yankee for the next 10 years is the only way he's gonna have a chance at not completely destroying his name.

I don't usually resort to Internet acronyms, but this deserves a WTF? How does this make sense at all?

something tells me that his name is on that substance abuse list that MLB is gonna release in about a month, and if he wants to cover up his ass, being a Yankee for the next 10 years is the only way he's gonna have a chance at not completely destroying his name.

I don't usually resort to Internet acronyms, but this deserves a WTF? How does this make sense at all?

Yeah I'll echo that sentiment...the comment has no factual basis whatsoever...

Yeah I'll echo that sentiment...the comment has no factual basis whatsoever...

Sorry, but I'm not buying that brand, either.

nav-logo.png

It's possible, but not likely.

The media spin I've seen seems to suggest that the Yankees called A-Rod/Boras' bluff and got them to cave. A-Rod just turned an 8 year, $220 million deal (previous contract + extension) into a 10 year $290 million deal with incentives that could push it over $300 million. You tell me who caved.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived