Boston Red Sox: World Champions Again

Mac the Knife

Guess who's back?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=mlb

The Boston Sports Guy has posted his latest article, and he covers the Kobe-to-Chicago rumors, and talks about the Colts' surprising defense. No, just kidding. It's about the Red Sox. And, you know, it's a situation like this one, where they've just won the World Series, where it's reasonable that he'd right about them. But, for the Simmons dislikers out there, or those just fed up with his musings, there's plenty to harp on. A retelling of a conversation between him and his dad, how this conversation brings up a larger point about the new way of life in Boston, an awkwardly forced reference to an ancient WWF tag team, and a long anecdote about forcing his daughter to watch the playoffs. Bill, I'm taking off. Let me know if anything new comes up.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like the way you cut and paste my post.

To your first point, I object mostly to the onslaught of suddenly diehard Sox fans that take over downtown Seattle when Boston is in town. Right, all teams have the same gear, but I see more of the Red Sox's stuff than any other team, including the Mariners. Of course, that's symptomatic of the Mariners' failings at pushing their own brand and their own merchandise, but it's also a product of Jimmy Fallon and Bill Simmon's ten-year crusade to make the Red Sox the preeminent sports franchise in America. I think relatively recent romanticization of the Red Sox plays a very large role in the current global support of the team. And I think it's completely inorganic. It's not like a bunch of people, one day, said hey! The Red Sox are cool! I'm going to root for them! More, like the way all media works (and indicated by the way several CCSLC posters think typing "well played, sir," or "thanks for playing" or any other current national cliche is clever), attraction to the Sox was planted some ten years ago, culminated in the more-inspiring run in 2004, and has led us to the overwrought Red Sox Nation today. But if it's any consolation to you, presumably a "true" fan, the backlash is well underway. Some other team will become the national flavor of the couple years, and the Red Sox will settle back into their role as regional -- not national -- source of pride.

To your second point, and the reason I don't like your cut and paste job, is that you took a throwaway comment by me and also removed my justification for making it. The Red Sox, simply are not the greatest baseball franchise of all time. By any metrics, that is the New York Yankees. I get being a fan of the team, and I also get having my own rights to justify how I do or do not root for sports teams. I don't need the standard canard of fanaticism being the justification for jerk sports fans. In my original post -- more of which you cut out -- I said that "hate" has its own meaning in sports fandom. Clearly, I get that the whole enterprise is a relatively silly hobby propped up by billions of dollars. Nowhere did I say we need to break down who gets what in the ranking of sports and sports history (well, at least no until this post). I don't appreciate being made a straw man, especially when your master case against something I didn't say isn't all that original or insightful.

No cutting and pasting. The last thing I'd want to do is give you any more contrived reasons to "hate" a "true" Boston sports fan.

As a 43-year-old Boston Red Sox die-hard, I can tell you that the level of fanatical support for this team has existed amongst the fellow fans I've known since at least 1970. That's when I turned 6 and first became cognizant of the passionate devotion that my family members and friends had for this team. It's been a non-stop component of my life ever since. I can only imagine what it must be like for my 70-year-old father, my soon-to-be-101-year-old great aunt and all of the other Red Sox "old timers" just like them, as well as those younger fans that this older generation of Red Sox supporters passed their passion on to.

The point is, the level of devotion that inspired the creation of the modern day "Red Sox Nation" marketing campaign has existed for decades. Hence, the reason that it's succeeded in taking off in such a pervasive way. Yes, the advent of the internet and other new media has made it possible for a guy like Bill Simmons to stoke the fires of Red Sox fandom. Yes, the likes of Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Jimmy Fallon and Dane Cook trumpeting the Red Sox exploits has resonated within an increasingly celebrity-fixated society. Yes, sports merchandising as a whole has grown to a level which makes it far easier than ever before to purchase myriad licensed Red Sox products no matter where you live on the globe. Yes, the "worldwide leader in sports" has it's headquarters located in the midst of New England and has come in to it's own as an all-pervasive media entity just as the Red Sox have established themselves as a perrenial MLB contender. In short, there's no questioning that there's been a certain "perfect storm" quality to the establishment of "Red Sox Nation".

That said, I can speak to the fact that the level of devotion that "true" fans have had for the Red Sox has existed for decades. Further, I can confirm that it is a devotion that transcends age, sex, socio-economic class and race. I can testify to the fact that it has been passed down from one generation to the next. In other words, this decades-long devotion of "true" Red Sox fans played no small role in creating the phenomenon that is "Red Sox Nation". I can assure you that if a romanticization of the Red Sox did not already exist amongst a large following of fans to a rather substantial level, there's no way that a modern marketer would have wasted the time trying to create such a movement. They wouldn't have seen any money to be made in it.

Bottom line? While I recognize that there are many newly-converted members of "Red Sox Nation" hopping on the "bandwagon", I also recognize that it's far too easy for many fans of other teams to point to said phenomenon as the justification for grousing about the success the Red Sox have had the last few seasons. Just as there is a fine line between what constitutes a "true" Red Sox fan and a newly-minted "bandwagon jumper", there exists a similar line between those who profess to protest against the contrived nature of "Red Sox Nation" and those who simply have their panties in a bunch because their favorite team hasn't enjoyed the Sox level of success as of late.

Thanks for responding.

I guess we're mixing messages here. I'm far from a fan grousing that "my team" doesn't have the success of the Red Sox. In point of fact, I don't have a team. I buy tickets to see whatever ball team is in the area I live in (M's now, two years ago it was the Reds) and half-heartedly root accordingly. MLB as a whole has mostly lost me, and I treat baseball now as a pleasant summer nighttime activity. My days of checking box scores and worrying about trades are long over.

No, my anger with the Sox, and you captured it in your "perfect storm" comment, is over the hype. The media onslaught, and the annoying fans that have bought into it, are aggravating, the same way that the media onslaught over Britney Spears is aggravating. Sox Mania is forced down our throats in ways different than Yankeemania was. That's all. I won't type more, because Infrared did a better job than I could have.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Guess who's back?

The Boston Sports Guy has posted his latest article, and he covers the Kobe-to-Chicago rumors, and talks about the Colts' surprising defense. No, just kidding. It's about the Red Sox. And, you know, it's a situation like this one, where they've just won the World Series, where it's reasonable that he'd right about them. But, for the Simmons dislikers out there, or those just fed up with his musings, there's plenty to harp on. A retelling of a conversation between him and his dad, how this conversation brings up a larger point about the new way of life in Boston, an awkwardly forced reference to an ancient WWF tag team, and a long anecdote about forcing his daughter to watch the playoffs. Bill, I'm taking off. Let me know if anything new comes up.

So why does everyone keep reading his articles? He's on Page 2. Honestly, you kind of have to know where his articles are. It's very rare that one of his articles is the headliner on Page One.

It's no secret that Bill Simmons is a Boston homer. All of his articles consist of one or more of the following: his history of fandom with the Red Sox, Patriots or Celtics; his buddies from back home; his chats with his father; his wife's impending pregnancy. You know what you're going to get with his articles. It's not like people are going to read him for his opinions about the Pro Bowlers Association or the Tour de France.

The same people that bitch about his redundancy and homerism are the same people reading his columns.

If you don't like him, don't read him, and then there's nothing to complain about.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I watched the whole ALCS, but only watched game 1 of the World Series, cause it was zzzzZZZZZZ.

Still, the Red Sox played a hell of a season and congrats to them and all their fans. Now I'm sad cause baseball season is over.

And the Rams suck... the only team for me to root for now are the might Missouri Tigers. Oh and the Blues!

EDIT: Also, J.D. Drew doesn't deserve to win a World Series! I hate that man! I don't give a :censored: what he did in the postseason. That :censored: prick doesn't deserve it. Everyone else in Red Sox nation.... Enjoy! :D

thank you. you are the man. you're the only st. louis fan that makes any sense on this board!

and yea, i've been meaning to post... valiant effort by the Colorado Rockies. God damn it, do i respect them and their fans...

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

So why does everyone keep reading his articles? He's on Page 2. Honestly, you kind of have to know where his articles are. It's very rare that one of his articles is the headliner on Page One.

It's no secret that Bill Simmons is a Boston homer.

Reading Simmons is a kind of like fishing. One or two good bites will keep you out there all day. In other words, he is just amusing enough to keep people reading. He drives me nuts but I'll admit he has his moments.

And there is always a link to his stuff on ESPN's front page.

BB52Big.jpg

To sum things up: The fanbase of the Boston Red Sox in the US is to the Liverpool fanbase in the UK... but hold the body count.

Speaking of disillusioned, for someone who once followed baseball to the point that they could list the regular starting lineups and starting rotations of all 26 Major League teams from 1988-1992, among other bits of baseball history that would make Keith Olbermann blush, I didn't watch a single inning of baseball this year. My interest has simply just slid into oblivion.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Guess who's back?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Me meeting Bill Simmons....*fictional, never will happen, think "Inner Sakura" from "Naruto"*.

Hi! I'm Bill Simmons!

Hi Bill, meet my friend, Mr. Right Hook.

*fistface*

-------------------------------------------------------------

I will at least give him credit for prognosticating about an impending long term baseball Cold War between Boston and the Yankees, but saying that this might not be a good thing for the sport. At least he is starting to recognize that the "Yanks and the Sawx" may not be completely healthy for the game.

For jpslapshot...Simmons is still probably one of the best writers ESPN has. "cue tallest midget/strongest squirrel joke". He can be knowledgeable about the NBA and the NFL, and it is nice to read about them. I also liked reading the stuff he wrote about the Clippers because I know/knew Livingston.

That said, I really have only read his football columns recently, and I have mainly been skimming them as of late, after his preseason review of the NFC demonstrated an above-average ignorance of the NFC West, and the NFC in general. I also didn't like some of the off-base shots he took at the Rams organization, and in fact, I think he made them to cover for the fact that he forgot the Rams even existed, and failed to originally write something about them. (And to head off the one-liners...yes, they might as well have not existed this season.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Guess who's back?

It's no secret that Bill Simmons is a Boston homer. All of his articles consist of one or more of the following: his history of fandom with the Red Sox, Patriots or Celtics; his buddies from back home; his chats with his father; his wife's impending pregnancy. You know what you're going to get with his articles. It's not like people are going to read him for his opinions about the Pro Bowlers Association or the Tour de France.

The same people that bitch about his redundancy and homerism are the same people reading his columns.

If you don't like him, don't read him, and then there's nothing to complain about.

Matter of fact, Billy Simms gots his own box right on the front page of espn.com. Right there, just off center on the right side. Big ol' box. Granted, you have to click the link, but it's right there on page one. Not some other place you have to know how to get to. You should check it out. It's easy to find. Because it's on page one.

Guess who's back?

Mr. Fuji and Mr. Saito? I would have gone with Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas, if I were going back that far. (And for the record, I wouldn't have. My choice in that scenario would have been either Demolition or the British Bulldogs.)

I bitch about Bill Simmons, but in the same way that long-time Simpsons bitch about how bad the show is compared to how it used to be. Or how latter-day Miles Davis fans stopped listening because "Bitches Brew" was so far removed from "Kind of Blue." When Simmons was good, he was very good. He had entertaining posts on Bad News Bears, the WWE, the NBA, and so many other things I could relate to. However, he should know that much of his audience hates both the Pats and Sox, and adjust accordingly. I'm sure his readership is as high as its ever been, but how much of that is out of habit rather than desire?

I'm not at a desk all day now, as school is back in session. Therefore, I skip most of his columns, just like I probably won't finish the one linked above.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Guess who's back?

In fairness, I thought the column was very well written and restrained. It could have been a lot worse.

BB52Big.jpg

To sum things up: The fanbase of the Boston Red Sox in the US is to the Liverpool fanbase in the UK... but hold the body count.

Au contraire....

Yes, I know Liverpool's killed more than one person, but Boston also has a body count.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well that clears it up...if you're one of the 17 people who actually follow soccer. :P

Riiight... :P

Here we go. Liverpool is a touchy subject for reasons below, but here we go...

Liverpool supporters are frankly the worst in the Barclay's Premier League.

Liverpool is *technically* the most successful club team in English football, though virtually all of it has come in the past 30-35 years, from 1972-1986, and most recently from 2004-present. As a result, red-coloured Liverpudlians (as opposed to the ones who support Everton, the other local club) love sticking it in the faces of other supporters, on a level than Yankees fans could wish they could do. They act as though they are the best supporters in the world, because they sing really loud at big matches, especially the, if not for them singing it, the eminently forgettable 1960s song "You'll Never Walk Alone" (Hmm... sounds familiar?). They also like to thump their chests as to the "purity" of their club, as opposed to the "soulless" ownership groups of Chelsea and Manchester United ("You can't buy History!" they would chant... that is until Tom Hicks and George Gillette came with a wheelbarrow full of cash this past year. I guess you *can* buy history, then). This despite the fact that since 2002 they have nearly spent as much on players as Manchester United.

The worst part of it is that the majority of their fanbase isn't in Liverpool, as one pundit called "The Butt-crack of England," but rather spread out over the country. The main reason for this was their run in the late 1970s-1986 when they won 4 of their 5 European Cups. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that most of these folks attach themselves to the Scouse* mentality with the same fervency as those in Liverpool, despite the reason behind the Liverpool-based supporters are stereotypically cast as a bunch of unemployed petty thieves with a penchant for hubcaps. After all, if you're on the Dole, you have nothing better to do than to support the club.

What makes Liverpool's support so annoying is the fact that the English media is absolutely in love with the club, and thinks they can do no wrong. Then there's all the ink spilled in anger in support of the club, especially after their Champions League win in 2005. The quality of those books makes "Now I can Die in Peace" look like a Pulitzer shoe-in :blink: Why all this love by the media you ask? Because most of the media grew up in Liverpool's run in the 1970s and early 1980s, and are Liverpool supporters themselves. The bias is all too telling. Here's a good example:

In the first matchup between the "Big 4" (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United), Chelsea drew with Liverpool 1-1 after tying the game with a controversial penalty that most neutrals agreed was the wrong call, but understood how the referee would have made the decision in real time. The media had an absolute field day with the situation, and would not rest until Liverpool got "justice." The BBC's Alan Green, a famous/infamous commentator known for his openly pro-Liverpool bias, nearly melted down whilst doing the live broadcast over the radio, and the media hounded the referee, going as far as pointing out that the referee was slanted toward Cheslea because the referee's construction company poured the driveway for one of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's mansions 2 years back. The result of this: The referee was all but fired and is now doing the equivalent of Single-A matches.

Two weeks ago, Liverpool wins the local grudge match against Everton 2-1 in which at the end of the match an Everton player is basically rugby tackled by a Liverpool defender in what was about the clearest example one can have for giving a penalty kick. The referee did nothing and there wasn't a peep from the media about it. No calls for the referee's head, no investigation into the referee's business connections. Nothing.

Finally, there's the whole thing with Hillsborough and Heysel. The less I talk about this the better. But I will say this, like Boston's Curse, they hide behind this to make folks feel sorry for them.

So to sum it up, Liverpool supporters...

(1) March around on a Moral pseudo-High Ground against their rivals and their free-spending ways despite being just as free-spending as their rivals.

(2) Thump their chests about their "History," despite them being crap for most of their club's existence.

(3) Have a nationwide fanbase that takes on all of the bad behaviours of the local core as some sort of badge of honour

(4) Have a stranglehold on the media, who constantly come to their defence and trump their successes to a hyperbolic level

(5) Sing an pretty mediocre 1960s song as a team "anthem."

(6) Hide behind the low points of the club's history to deflect criticism and garner pity

Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it?

*Scouse refers to a traditional sailors' ration that Liverpudlians, a shipping town historically, lived on. It's used as a derogatory term for the most part, considering the high rate of petty crime and general numptiness.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

(1) March around on a Moral pseudo-High Ground against their rivals and their free-spending ways despite being just as free-spending as their rivals.

(2) Thump their chests about their "History," despite them being crap for most of their club's existence.

(3) Have a nationwide fanbase that takes on all of the bad behaviours of the local core as some sort of badge of honour

(4) Have a stranglehold on the media, who constantly come to their defence and trump their successes to a hyperbolic level

(6) Hide behind the low points of the club's history to deflect criticism and garner pity

Yes it does. It's nice to know that annoying, whiny fan bases aren't exclusively American.

I wonder how this whole Red Sox thing would have played out over the past few years if ESPN were based in Chicago or Atlanta instead of Bristol. You'd think that a network full of supposed "journalists" would be immune to homerism but the reality is they are worse than most local hacks.

BB52Big.jpg

So, I put it to you, the CCSLC. Do you hate the Red Sox?

Yes. Thate i have for the Red Sox is very real. Does it rule my life? No, but seeing them win and just, well, seeing them on TV or in papers... it makes me sick.

This has been going on between the Boston and New York area baseball fans since the trade. It's just a way of life for both fans.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Boston = 1 World Series Every 16 Years, Toronto = 1 World Series Every 15 Years, We're Still Better

You're REAAAAAAAALY reaching for that one. :P

BeeTeeDub (BTW): The Yankees have been around for 107 seasons and have won 26 titles, that's roughly one every 4 years. By whatever measure, they still pw3n all.

I don't hate teams, I don't hate players, and I don't really even hate fanbases. Except when fans think their teams' success has anything to do with them or reflects on them in anyway. You aren't faster, stronger, smarter, or better than anyone else just because a team you support won some games that you didn't have a damn thing to do with them winning.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yes. Thate i have for the Red Sox is very real. Does it rule my life? No, but seeing them win and just, well, seeing them on TV or in papers... it makes me sick.

This has been going on between the Boston and New York area baseball fans since the trade. It's just a way of life for both fans.

Yup. Gotta agree there. Can't stand the Yankees as a team/franchise. Yankees-Red Sox is like blood and water, to those who were born and bred as fans of the teams. Bandwagoners and haters (due to trends, or flooding of the media) won't get it.

Love the rivalry, hate the rival.

However, I will note the classy and respectful players in their organization, like Jeter, Mattingly and Torre. I'm a homer, but I'm also a fan of the game itself, and I can appreciate individuals whose attitude and play can transcend the otherwise superficial feelings of hate the rivalry brings.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yup. Gotta agree there. Can't stand the Yankees as a team/franchise. Yankees-Red Sox is like blood and water, to those who were born and bred as fans of the teams. Bandwagoners and haters (due to trends, or flooding of the media) won't get it.

Love the rivalry, hate the rival.

However, I will note the classy and respectful players in their organization, like Jeter, Mattingly and Torre. I'm a homer, but I'm also a fan of the game itself, and I can appreciate individuals whose attitude and play can transcend the otherwise superficial feelings of hate the rivalry brings.

i see what your saying. IN my family it was a routine indoctrinare and brainwashing of yankee love, red sox hate. almost to dangerous and illegal points. the more i had yankees/red sox shoved down my throat the more i became less interested. in our family it was our moral duty to love the yankees and hate the sox, hate the fans and everything short of eliminating them all together. i was interested in it for a few years in grade school when baseball was mildly interesting to me and that was because me and the fellas would play in the streets in the allys of the abandoned buildings. once i hit my teens, i lost interest and became interested in girls. Family would stop everything to watch yankees baseball, I would be on the phone talking to some chick. Dad would come in and say "what are you doing you bum? " i'll be like, "i'm on the phone with a girl" he goes, "get off the phone and watch the game. you lousy bum". id reply, "but i don't care about the spankees" naturally he got irate. then theres the incident where i brought this one girl home who was a mild red sox fan, i didn't care what team she followed. her mistake? she wore a red sox hat. now i told her to leave it in the car but she wanted to wear it. Mom was cooking a salmon dish and wasn't paying attention. We were watching TV, some cheesy movie. Cad comes home sees her red sox hat and goes ballistic. naturally yells at me and calls me a lousy bum for associating with a sox fan. complely embarrases me, calls her names makes her cry. they forbade me from seeing her and her family never permitted me to talk to her again. my parents would be more sympathetic if i was caught banging her or enjoying an golden herb with her than her wearing a sox hat. he took my car, cell phone and every other privalege away from me for a month.(it was shortly after that i met the girl i'm with now) of course my favorite case was a drama play i was my senior year, he comes to the play looking like he is going to yankee stadium for a game 7 of the world series. hair painted blue, face paint,and other wearable yankees memorabilia, hes yelling and screaming, hootin and hollerin. then a red sox fan comes up to him and tells him to shut up and he gets in to it with them. he gets kicked out for punching the guy in the nose, completely embarrases me and ruins the play for me.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Yes it does. It's nice to know that annoying, whiny fan bases aren't exclusively American.

I wonder how this whole Red Sox thing would have played out over the past few years if ESPN were based in Chicago or Atlanta instead of Bristol. You'd think that a network full of supposed "journalists" would be immune to homerism but the reality is they are worse than most local hacks.

infrared, I've lived in Connecticut by entire life, and let me tell you that Hartford is basically the dividing line between the Yankees and Red Sox. For the most part, northern CT is ruled by Sox fans, while southern CT is for Yankees fans. Now, Bristol isn't too far from Hartford, but it's still considered in the 'Yankee territory' of Connecticut. Now I know you're going to come back with the whole "Well, Bill Simmons...." crap, but you can't honestly think that one online columnist for the company has a stranglehold on what the other reporters think, do or say. I think it would honestly come down to where the journalists, themselves, are from, as homerism doesn't exsist at ESPN.

*EDIT* - I'll also be going to the victory parade today, if anyone else is going.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived