Boston Red Sox: World Champions Again

Mac the Knife

An 11-year old Yankee fan would have been alive for four. A fan in his early 20s certainly could have been old enough to enjoy all four. 4>2.

And, as an aside, are the Yankees responsible for the Biggest Choke, or are the Red Sox responsible for the Best Comeback in the history of professional sports?

Exactly, but it's certainly not 26.

11-year old Yankee fan alive for four? Yes, but not to remember all them. Today is 2007, the last time the Yanks won a World Series was in 2000 (20th Century), that 11-year old Yankee fan had 4 years old then.

Swiss-boom-bah! You gots to read the whole post, daddy-oh! Or, at least the second line.

I actually read it. But for me the example of a 11-year old Yankee fan didn't make any sense. Only living in the same period of the triumphs of the team?

The one of a 20+ years old Yankee fan yes. The point is that the fan could enjoy the achievements of his/her team. There you can offer the valid example.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(1) March around on a Moral pseudo-High Ground against their rivals and their free-spending ways despite being just as free-spending as their rivals.

(2) Thump their chests about their "History," despite them being crap for most of their club's existence.

(3) Have a nationwide fanbase that takes on all of the bad behaviours of the local core as some sort of badge of honour

(4) Have a stranglehold on the media, who constantly come to their defence and trump their successes to a hyperbolic level

(5) Sing an pretty mediocre 1960s song as a team "anthem."

(6) Hide behind the low points of the club's history to deflect criticism and garner pity

Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it?

Yes it does. It's nice to know that annoying, whiny fan bases aren't exclusively American.

I wonder how this whole Red Sox thing would have played out over the past few years if ESPN were based in Chicago or Atlanta instead of Bristol. You'd think that a network full of supposed "journalists" would be immune to homerism but the reality is they are worse than most local hacks.

infrared, I've lived in Connecticut by entire life, and let me tell you that Hartford is basically the dividing line between the Yankees and Red Sox. For the most part, northern CT is ruled by Sox fans, while southern CT is for Yankees fans. Now, Bristol isn't too far from Hartford, but it's still considered in the 'Yankee territory' of Connecticut. Now I know you're going to come back with the whole "Well, Bill Simmons...." crap, but you can't honestly think that one online columnist for the company has a stranglehold on what the other reporters think, do or say. I think it would honestly come down to where the journalists, themselves, are from, as homerism doesn't exsist at ESPN.

*EDIT* - I'll also be going to the victory parade today, if anyone else is going.

Actually, I don't see Simmons as part of the problem. He's upfront about it and I enjoy some of his work. Homerism was a poor choice of words. I did a poor job of making my point. What I should have said was I wonder if there would have been such an obvious Yankee/Red Sox bias in their coverage if ESPN were located in Atlanta or Chicago.

Outside Simmons, there may not be any outward homerism at ESPN but you can't deny there is a clear bias in their coverage. Saying ESPN isn't biased towards The Sox and Yankees is like saying FOX news really is fair and balanced.

Enjoy the parade.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived